New Untouched Colonial Homestead

My buddy that hit the 2 Liberty Caps has struck again a 1797 half cent along with a Connecticut Copper. He is going to group shot his coins for me.

IMG_0742-crop-side.jpg

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 2

Beautiful condition finds.

• Like 1

Killer; gentlemen!!🏆👍👍

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NJ Art said:

My buddy AL that hit the 2 Liberty Caps has struck again a 1797 half cent along with a Connecticut Copper.

Tell him to leave a couple 18th Century USA coppers for you!  Another scarce and valuable find, it appears out-of-round but I suspect that was due to a poorly manufactured planchet (blank) as opposed to some kind of post-minting damage.  According to Bowers:  (1797 half cents) ...are apt to be casually struck, sometimes on rough planchets, and sometimes lacking detail in certain areas.

Bowers (2017 copyright) has the mintage at only 27,525 whereas the 2022 Red Book (of which Bowers is a contributing editor) has it at 127,840.  Regardless, none of those early mintages reflected the actual date on the coin but just the number minted during the calendar year, often from dies with earlier dates.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Tell him to leave a couple 18th Century USA coppers for you!  Another scarce and valuable find, it appears out-of-round but I suspect that was due to a poorly manufactured planchet (blank) as opposed to some kind of post-minting damage.  According to Bowers:  (1797 half cents) ...are apt to be casually struck, sometimes on rough planchets, and sometimes lacking detail in certain areas.

Bowers (2017 copyright) has the mintage at only 27,525 whereas the 2022 Red Book (of which Bowers is a contributing editor) has it at 127,840.  Regardless, none of those early mintages reflected the actual date on the coin but just the number minted during the calendar year, often from dies with earlier dates.

I told him to knock it off, I'm just as excited as he is as the other coins just arrived for grading. Reminds me of waiting for our order of fishing lures to arrive from Cabelas when we were young..  This half has writing on the edge, a 1 over 1, and very small lettering on the word, America. 

imagejpeg_0(35).jpg

IMG_0747-crop.jpg

IMG_2444(1)-crop.jpg

• Like 5

Todays very short hunt left us soaked to the bone with not much to show for our efforts. Two cuffs for me, one with glass or  stone, and the other I believe is an English navy cuff, I have dug two other Navy cuffs but not as nice as this one.

20240309_154701-side.jpg

• Like 4

On 3/9/2024 at 5:05 PM, NJ Art said:

This half has writing on the edge, a 1 over 1, and very small lettering on the word, America. 

The "1 above 1" appears to be the most common die variety.  However, the edge lettering ('T. A. & L.' for the planchet manufacturer) may not be on all of this die variety, adding a small premium compared to those with no lettering.  228 '1 above 1' have been graded & certified by PCGS (in all conditions).  This one appears to be moderately worn with both the obverse and edge lettering showing up nicely.  The reverse is a mixed bag, possibly due to crowning (becoming convex at the center) during minting, making the center part more vulnerable to wear.

Any USA coin dated in the 18th Century from the official USA mint (so 1792-99) is at least a 3 figure retail value in good or better condition.  Likely this simply reflects the low survival rate combined with high demand.  With the luck your partner is having, maybe there's a 1794 silver dollar awaiting.  Tell him it's your turn!  😏

• Like 2

On 3/9/2024 at 7:47 PM, GB_Amateur said:

The "1 above 1" appears to be the most common die variety.  However, the edge lettering ('T. A. & L.' for the planchet manufacturer) may not be on all of this die variety, adding a small premium compared to those with no lettering.  228 '1 above 1' have been graded & certified by PCGS (in all conditions).  This one appears to be moderately worn with both the obverse and edge lettering showing up nicely.  The reverse is a mixed bag, possibly due to crowning (becoming convex at the center) during minting, making the center part more vulnerable to wear.

Any USA coin dated in the 18th Century from the official USA mint (so 1792-99) is at least a 3 figure retail value in good or better condition.  Likely this simply reflects the low survival rate combined with high demand.  With the luck your partner is having, maybe there's a 1794 silver dollar awaiting.  Tell him it's our turn!  😏

Thank You.