How Accurate Is The E1500's Target Discrimination In The Field?

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

When salt has been added to them they can come in at anywhere from 10 - 25 on the 800 scale so I'm thinking they would be difficult for the 1500 to categorize. 

It's the same with our 5 cents, they nearly always come in as a solid 10 on the Nox, just like many smaller gold rings (they even sound the same).. I hope the E1500 can tell the difference between the two but I know that's asking a bit too much..

Sometimes on windy beaches it can be hard to make out the 'mellow gold sound' over the background noise and having my suspicions confirmed by TIDs is always helpful.. I rely on all the target info available, even then I still dig if my gut tells me to..  

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

How will the shape of an object influence the response?

This is from one of Steve's posts (I think he's quoting from the manual):

"The target ID is also useful for assessing the target's shape. If the target ID fluctuates significantly when the coil is moved slightly off but still above the target, it likely indicates an irregularly shaped target, such as a bottle cap or a nail with a large head.''

• Like 2

Some rings with a setting also chatter.  One recent gold ring chattered more than normal because it was 'broken.'  It was complete but it had broken at a previous resizing so when the sound came back it was a chatter.  An unbroken band has a different sound.  If a ring has the same metal would it have a different number if it was broken?

I think I'll have to try an earring sometime.  Try it open and then try it with the clasp closed which would complete the loop.  Would there be different numbers?

• Like 2