Legend Park Hunt - A Couple Firsts

The Legend gave me a couple happy surprises this evening during a 40 minute hunt by a park shelter. It's a park I frequently detect, but this particular section was new to me.

First good target was a 1988 Kennedy half, followed immediately by a Lincoln $1. Never hit a half dollar before, and the only dollar coins I'd found previously were Sacajaweas. The two coins were within a foot of each other and 3-4" down. I'm wondering if they were the same drop from somebody keeping a couple special coins in their pocket, because I've never run across a presidential dollar coin in circulation around here, and haven't seen a half dollar in over a decade.

The half was a solid 53/54 in Park M1, and I was pretty sure it was going to be a bottle cap. The signal wasn't as jumpy as other bottle caps, however, nothing on the ferrous meter, and it otherwise sounded tight and clean. The Lincoln dollar hit just like a quarter at 50/51. I had the LG30 on this time and was pleased with the ground coverage and separation. Pinpointing was working out better for me with the coil this time around, and I had nearly all of the coins targets in the plug or centered an inch or two beneath the initial plug.

While I wish the half were silver, I'm still please to scratch a couple minor league items off the bucket list!

20240320_211422.jpg

• Like 6

That’s a good hunt.

• Like 1

Dollar coins are unusual finds in the USA, so great job. 🏆 That half must have been a real ear popper! Well done.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

That half must have been a real ear popper!

Ha, yeah!

The signal was nice and tight with no warble, but it was so dang loud I thought for sure it had to be a bottle cap. Once it came out of the ground I initially figured it for a large token...until I wiped it off and JFK's bust peaked out. 

• Like 1

That's a really nice trip in my book. Sure wish I could hit some things like that. Hope you find a LOT more.

• Like 1

Since it was raining yesterday, last night, and today I was in the house playing around with my Legend and some trash targets along with good ones. Set my tone breaks where I wanted them, the audio volume/pitch/tones that sounded good to my tinnitus ears it really started to break through in my head.. LOL. Had some nasty square nails from past hunts and placed them close to good targets. Messed around with Recovery, Iron Filter, and Stability until I found a nice little place that unmasks just enough to hopefully make me go "hmm" when I can take it out for a hunt. I don't get these days much where work isn't totally consuming me so it was a nice bonding moment for myself and the Legend. The clear loud audio makes up for the rather weak ID numbers. I can see this detector is going to require listening to that audio a lot more than paying attention to that ID #. It's a good strong detector though, that much I can tell. It's set up now where it will absolutely scream on dimes and quarters.  I like it's audio a lot better than my Equinox actually because it does not have the flute-like melody to it. The Legend audio is just really clear and strong. Good stuff.

• Like 2