New Legend With Odd Lg24 Behavior

14 hours ago, HardPack said:

V1.13 is the latest firmware. I use the LG24 on ground that balances 42 to 52. Lots of volcanic and hot rocks. Even with the sensitivity at 30 I did not experience the issues you are having unless the LG24 actually hit something plus I do scrub the coil. Have you checked under the coil cover for debris?

Yes, there was nothing under there. I installed the LG30 coil and it is not having any problems like the LG24 is. I'm convinced the LG24 is bad. Now how long it will take for Nokta to respond and offer a solution remains to be seen.

2 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I have had my LG24 for over a year and it has taken a beating in the goldfields where I have used it the most. This coil has over 200 hours of use.

I started noticing more coil knock recently using the LG24. I checked the connection where the coil cable enters the coil. It was loose and the O ring was only partially held by the nut. I loosened the nut some more, repositioned the O ring and hand tightened the nut. That has helped some but I still get detected target type responses when I tap the strain relief area where the cable enters the coil even at sensitivity levels below 20.

My other Legend coils do not have this issue.

So, you may have a defective brand new LG24 and may have one that is wearing out!

As stated above in response to another reply, I installed the new LG30 and it did not act erratically like the LG24. Based on the responses here from experienced users of the Legend and from what I've seen with this one, it's bad in my book and should be replaced. Only 4 hrs on the coil. The LG30 has about an hour on it now since my testing with it today. The LG30 was much more stable in all aspects vs. the LG24. That is kind of backwards but how it played out. There is no way the LG24 I have is "normal" or even "ok" after seeing how much more stable the larger LG30 was. I am concerned how Nokta will address this one.  Ready to give them a chance, and I would hope they do the right thing.

19 hours ago, RobNC said:

Ready to give them a chance, and I would hope they do the right thing.

I’d be surprised if you have any problems with Nokta standing by the warranty. Let us know if you do.

3 hours ago, HardPack said:

I’d be surprised if you have any problems with Nokta standing by the warranty. Let us know if you do.

It's a shame that a new coil is having a problem, period. I used the LG30 yesterday and was noticing it also ran more quiet at higher sensitivity than the LG24. The legend definitely speaks a different language than the EQ800 or the XP ORX I have. I noticed some audible pops on certain targets in the yard. Granted, there is some iron but everything I dug yesterday were junky things. I do have a test bed in the back yard and it hit every single legitimate target. I really need to make another newer one. The battery went down to 2 bars. So about 5.5 hrs since charging. Not unusual though for a new battery to need a few discharge/charge cycles to reach full capacity. I'm liking the Legend, and look forward to seeing what it can do with a good LG24 when Nokta finally contacts me.

I contacted who I bought the detector from. He was willing to do a coil swap, but there is no stock and no ETA from his source on when they will have more. Just taking a guess here- based on my experience over the years with electronics and such. I believe there is possibly a bad batch out there and I was just unlucky enough to get one. Things happen in production and on equipment in a production line. Often times something like this can happen and before they realize it, there are some weird/faulty units out in the wild.  I get it.. But that doesn't mean I enjoy enduring such an event. LOL

On 3/23/2024 at 11:16 AM, HardPack said:

We'll see about that. I did get a "confirmation" if you call it that right after I sent in the request but it was obviously an automated generic message. You can see that below. But since then nothing further.

"Nokta Detectors USA Technical Service <usa.service@noktadetectors.com>

Thu, Mar 21, 9:41 PM (5 days ago)

to me

Hello Robert Wxxx, service entries are handled in the order received. You will get an email once the issue has been entered and our teams review your issue and determine the resolve. If any other information is needed, our service center will contact you via phone or email."

• Oh my! 1

Don't retailers in the US have a DOA policy rule they have to follow set by the government? Here, in this case I could have just given the coil back to the dealer and they would have to replace it for me, I wouldn't have to mess around contacting service agents.

40 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

Hi Rob,

Did you check your Junk / Spam folders? 

Oh yes, numerous times and continue to check it. No response from them as of yet. Not really instilling a lot of confidence in me at this point. I get it that things are crazy all over and do have patience. But we are coming up on day 5 since I sent that to them. I'm starting to feel a bit annoyed but not mad. Nobody wants to have something brand new with a problem. At least send me something like "hey please be patient, we will get to you soon" every few days to let me know you are not outright saying to hell with me. LOL. The resolution is simple.. replace my coil. I send this one back you send me another one. Simple right? Seems not. I still believe they have a bad batch of LG24 coils that went out and one of them found its way to me.

I sent an email out last night to Andy at We Dig. It was just sent last night so I am not expecting an immediate response. I didn't buy it from him but from reading it appears he is somehow connected to the service process for Nokta. I could be wrong on that though.

But hopefully tomorrow will be different. 

45 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Don't retailers in the US have a DOA policy rule they have to follow set by the government? Here, in this case I could have just given the coil back to the dealer and they would have to replace it for me, I wouldn't have to mess around contacting service agents.

Well, my dealer didn't have any stock and his distributor had no more LG24's and no ETA on when more are coming in. That was the answer I got. So he could not swap out with me. Again, I'm starting to think there is a bad batch of LG24's out there that Nokta knows about. The fix is simple- take this one back and send me a good one. Nokta can then disassemble it, microscope it, put it in a washing machine, send it to Mars or whatever, just give me one that works. Why? Because I paid for a working product and didn't get that with this coil. If they think it is more than the coil, fine. I will send whatever they want but I expect replacements and not weeks later either.

And while you're at it, admit there is a potential for a problem. These are man made things, it happens. No product is perfect. How you handle issues are important. As we rack up the days with no response I will become more aggravated and have more buyer's remorse.

• Like 2

You may very well be correct on a bad batch of coils, but Nokta will make it right, that, I am sure of.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RobNC said:

And while you're at it, admit there is a potential for a problem. These are man made things, it happens. No product is perfect. How you handle issues are important. As we rack up the days with no response I will become more aggravated and have more buyer's remorse.

Sometimes, it's best to go to the source @Nokta Detectors, 3rd parties just don't care as much as the OEM.

• Like 1