Thank You Minelab For The Manticore

Jeff-----You mentioned that you used & did well with the Deus 2 with 11X13" coil in Sept. & Oct. 2023.------Do you feel that the Manticore with the 11" coil did better or the same as the D2 with 11X13" coil in this hunt situation?-----Putting it another way---do you feel you could have found these same targets with the Deus 2 with 11" or 11X13" coils?-------Thanks-------Del

Excellent report, Jeff.  Gives other Manticore owners (myself included) a lot of hope/confidence.  But more than just the detector and the sites I've got to think that the detectorist has a big part in this.  I have yet to find such masked targets as you are getting and I have hunted some parks with it that likely have a lot in common with yours (other than high mineralization which makes some of yours even tougher).

Thanks for posting your settings.  I'm confused with what "iron bias 0" means for the Manticore, though.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I'm confused with what "iron bias 0" means for the Manticore, though.

I'm confused as to why I wrote that too. I will edit my post.

I was hunting in All Terrain General with the All Metal discrimination pattern and the ATG Preset default upper and lower ferrous limits unchanged.

I have tried All Terrain High Conductor on some of these deeper high conductor targets. The results were not as good with far less "lock on" as far as giving me enough high tone audio responses to make a dig/no dig decision. I had ATHC setup with the same tones, tone pitches, tone volumes and tone breaks as ATG.

I have the same "issue" with Deep HC on Deus 2. Basing my deep coin programs on the Sensitive program has just been better for the soil conditions here.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, D&P-OR said:

Jeff-----You mentioned that you used & did well with the Deus 2 with 11X13" coil in Sept. & Oct. 2023.------Do you feel that the Manticore with the 11" coil did better or the same as the D2 with 11X13" coil in this hunt situation?-----Putting it another way---do you feel you could have found these same targets with the Deus 2 with 11" or 11X13" coils?-------Thanks-------Del

Hi Del,

I think so.

I have never used Deus 2's 11" coil however so I can't include it in that answer.

I had lots of success with the 13X11" and basically I can call the Manticore 11" coil and Deus 2 13X11" basically equal with Manticore at sensitivity 22 to 24 and Deus 2 sensitivity at 95 or so.

If everything hit the fan tomorrow and I had to pick between them for deep high conductor hunting in iron and aluminum trash, right now I would pick the Manticore with the 11" stock coil simply because it feels better on my arm than Deus 2 with the stock shaft swinging that 13X11" coil and the Manticore is easier to setup for water hunting (no setup really) and it is just better for gold prospecting even after XP's improvements for Deus 2's Goldfield program.

• Like 7

I've been getting the manti with dialed in as well this year.   I am hunting an old park  where the coins are not super deep, but alot of trash.  I've concentrated on using the 5 x 8 coil, and like your parks, no easy signals. The coins are camouflaged with trash. In my test garden, I have been comparing the depth and audio signals.  I have bumped up recovery speed to 6, and depth  has not suffered, but 6 gives a better signal on the iffy targets than the 3 & 4 .  I have pulled out 5 wheats, one indian, one buffalo, 2 v nickels,  and a barber dime in a 30 foot radius.  All coins near iron trash, all targets at the bottom edge of coil detection.  I will then go back thru that area with the 11 coil at some point.   If the target ID turns up a coin number, while bouncing around, and the audio sounds somewhat good, I dig it.  Good results. I dig a bit more nails though,  its been worth it. 

• Like 7

@Jeff McClendon

I'm glad to read your impressions of the Manti, especially since you also own a D2.

I have not yet succumbed to the temptation to buy it, because after a year of intensive use of the D2, I was already dreading the difference in discrimination compared to a more precise Ctx despite its 11 years of age.

After deciding to sell the D2 and going back to using the old "sniper rifle," the numbers soared again, and I think there is an obvious reason behind this result.

I complained strongly on the D2 about too large an allocation of low conductors.

Could you confirm that most of the jewels fall in the first part of the scale up to a maximum of 60 points?

After viewing hundreds of trials in others' videos, it adds to my impression that the 2d panel is very reminiscent of the Fe/Co meter of the Ctx and that the target trace has been replaced by black traces anyway using a similar system.

Certainly this is not rocket science, but the selection of what I need to dig into and invest time or not depends solely on the quality of the signals, and although on the D2 this was done only via audio, an on-screen reference was sorely missed.

The recommended X/Y screen, is not even remotely effective in representing a valuable signal.

I simply cannot spend too much time digging up every possible signal.

Being underwater from fall to spring is just another kind of hunting and does not admit of wasting time playing with the air available.

I therefore find myself still using an old and ruined detector with better results.

What I can hope for, is that on the Manti I can find more depth and better allocation of low conductors once and for all.

• Like 5

@Jeff McClendon

Having operated extensively with Cz21, Excalibur, HeadHunter, Tdi Bh, Ctx, and D2, even today I still do not believe that there is one tool that encompasses everything a dive hunter needs.
I could certainly list the merits of each, but the recent trend of these "hybrid", multi-purpose machines moves away from my concept of a single, dedicated tool.
The Excalibur continues to get top marks for the maximum depth to which it can be taken in the water.... But stability in salt water is paid for with poor sensitivity to broken and thin jewels.
Wonderful audio discrimination on gold.... Unmistakable.
I would like a 9" concentric coil on all of them.... I love the crisp response of HeadHunter audio.... But 8" in this case with a single 2.4kHz frequency is outdated stuff...
The beloved deep yellow Tdi... Oh my...it flooded too soon to leave it dry or die.
The 3030 heavy sniper rifle continues to work wonders...but those 3-meter waterproofs are a scam...It lacks audio volume for God's sake...
Aside from a wedding band right out of the box, of the Cz21 I remember the half hour of mechanics applied to changing batteries and borrowing 4 duracells of the likely 9 or 18V for a handful of Ah.
Regarding the D2, I retain the realization that I have to dig everything, just everything...Maybe out of the water please....
Now all these needs are pre/purchase filters....
And the pressing questions are:
Will I have powerful audio as on the Excalibur?
Will I really be able to go 15 feet without thinking about seeing water in the screen?
Will I have a low target Id for a low conductor up to 7 grams of 18K in spite of the thickness?
Will I have the pleasure of seeing a broken necklace again without its pendant?
Will I be able to avoid changing rods after a week?
The list could be lengthened...