Legend Glow Paint On Keys

After having seen others paint the keys on their Legend I decided to try something totally different.

I used Glow Paint. It was tedious, and I can probably get another coat on it but this is how it looks both day and in darkness.

Legend_day.jpgLegend_Night.jpg

I like it. Again, it was tedious due to how the paint is. I used a bamboo skewer to apply the paint inside the button indents. Wiped excess off. Found out it was easier to just coat the button and immediately wipe off excess. This is what it looks like after 12 hrs cure time.

The paint used is Glow-on. I had some Neon Green on hand from another project but I'd prefer it to be blue. The stuff isn't cheap but a little goes a long way.

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Phosphorescent-Sights-Concentrated-lasting/dp/B00GUA92RQ?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Again, this stuff works best in multiple coats. What you are seeing is just a thin single coating. Will probably apply at least one more layer. But giving this 24 hrs between applications works best.  Thought you might find it interesting.

EDIT: Oh, I also installed a Skinomi screen protector to the display. In the picture it has a blemish but I have since wiped that off. I cut the piece to fit. It's a Matte version of their clear model. Really cuts down on glare in the sunlight.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, RobNC said:

After having seen others paint the keys on their Legend I decided to try something totally different.

I used Glow Paint. It was tedious, and I can probably get another coat on it but this is how it looks both day and in darkness.

Legend_day.jpgLegend_Night.jpg

I like it. Again, it was tedious due to how the paint is. I used a bamboo skewer to apply the paint inside the button indents. Wiped excess off. Found out it was easier to just coat the button and immediately wipe off excess. This is what it looks like after 12 hrs cure time.

The paint used is Glow-on. I had some Neon Green on hand from another project but I'd prefer it to be blue. The stuff isn't cheap but a little goes a long way.

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Phosphorescent-Sights-Concentrated-lasting/dp/B00GUA92RQ?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Again, this stuff works best in multiple coats. What you are seeing is just a thin single coating. Will probably apply at least one more layer. But giving this 24 hrs between applications works best.  Thought you might find it interesting.

EDIT: Oh, I also installed a Skinomi screen protector to the display. In the picture it has a blemish but I have since wiped that off. I cut the piece to fit. It's a Matte version of their clear model. Really cuts down on glare in the sunlight.

I tried that when I first received my legend back almost two years ago but could not find any of that paint that actually worked so I gave up on the idea and just painted the buttons gold, I never could figure out why Nokta/Macro did not do something to make those buttons where they were easier to see

Your Legend came out really nice with that glow in the dark paint

I will tell you there is a controversy going on, on Facebook rite now with people stating it voids your warranty, I do not know if it does or does not but, but painting or coloring those buttons is something nokta/macro should have done from the start, the Legend should have been released with those buttons colored to begin with to make them easier to see while learning the what each button did.   

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, D&P-OR said:

Why in the world didn't Nokta high light those buttons in the first place (like other companies do).

Agree 1000% with you

48 minutes ago, DSMITH said:

I tried that when I first received my legend back almost two years ago but could not find any of that paint that actually worked so I gave up on the idea and just painted the buttons gold, I never could figure out why Nokta/Macro did not do something to make those buttons where they were easier to see

Your Legend came out really nice with that glow in the dark paint

I will tell you there is a controversy going on, on Facebook rite now with people stating it voids your warranty, I do not know if it does or does not but, but painting or coloring those buttons is something nokta/macro should have done from the start, the Legend should have been released with those buttons colored to begin with to make them easier to see while learning the what each button did.   

The good news is this is a water based acrylic paint. It does not react, destroy, or otherwise harm the keys themselves. I could get out some Dawn detergent, a soft bristle toothbrush, some water, and get it off without any harm whatsoever. That is another reason why I chose it.  It's not something that etches into the material like a lot of other paints. You can even put this paint on glass without an issue. Would be glad to prove that to Nokta if it ever becomes an issue with a warranty claim on the control unit itself on down the road. They would be more than welcome to test the paint against their key material for degradation. There would  be none.

I'm of the opinion they did not put lights under the keys because it may have compromised the solid waterproof rating the Legend has. It's a totally sealed membrane looks like. Putting a clear window under the buttons would have introduced a water intrusion vector after the detector was used for years maybe. Who knows.

Glow-On also makes a tape that glows. If one was inclined they could use an X-Acto and cut the tape into fine strips to fit into the indents on the buttons.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RobNC said:

The good news is this is a water based acrylic paint. It does not react, destroy, or otherwise harm the keys themselves. I could get out some Dawn detergent, a soft bristle toothbrush, some water, and get it off without any harm whatsoever. That is another reason why I chose it.  It's not something that etches into the material like a lot of other paints. You can even put this paint on glass without an issue. Would be glad to prove that to Nokta if it ever becomes an issue with a warranty claim on the control unit itself on down the road. They would be more than welcome to test the paint against their key material for degradation. There would  be none.

I'm of the opinion they did not put lights under the keys because it may have compromised the solid waterproof rating the Legend has. It's a totally sealed membrane looks like. Putting a clear window under the buttons would have introduced a water intrusion vector after the detector was used for years maybe. Who knows.

Glow-On also makes a tape that glows. If one was inclined they could use an X-Acto and cut the tape into fine strips to fit into the indents on the buttons.

Well I would agree with you on the Water Proofing if it was not for one thing the Simplex plus has lighted buttons and is also still water proof so your theory goes out the window LOL The Simplex Plus and the Legend pretty much share the same control housing

To me personally it was just a stupid over sight on Nokta/Macros part for not making those buttons on the Legend more visible for the consumer to see the buttons better

3 minutes ago, DSMITH said:

Well I would agree with you on the Water Proofing if it was not for one thing the Simplex plus has lighted buttons and is also still water proof so your theory goes out the window LOL The Simplex Plus and the Legend pretty much share the same control housing 

Well what about to cut costs? Could also be a power consumption issue seeing as how the Legend is multifrequency simultaneous vs the simplex one frequency. Perhaps the Legend consumes way more power and adding lighted keys would further deplete the battery. Hard to say. But I think most will agree the keys need some sort of markings.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RobNC said:

Well what about to cut costs? Could also be a power consumption issue seeing as how the Legend is multifrequency simultaneous vs the simplex one frequency. Perhaps the Legend consumes way more power and adding lighted keys would further deplete the battery. Hard to say. But I think most will agree the keys need some sort of markings.

thats the $64000 question and those buttons do need some sort of marking on them they not only look good with the markings but much more functional as far as being able to see them

I agree, the all black buttons are just plain dumb.  

Has anyone used the Nokta protective cover with the keys in red?  https://www.noktadetectors.com/accessory/protective-system-box-cover/

I'll be honest I haven't purchased it because I think Nokta should have included one with each Legend since they clearly don't want' to make the buttons more visible.  Or at least offered them to current owners at cost.  I love the company and the Legend is a really good detector but the button issue simply doesn't make sense to me.  Meanwhile I just have the buttons pretty much memorized so it really isn't a problem for me anymore.