Manticore Vs Small Metal/foil

The one thing that is bugging me with the Manticore is the audio is not telling me the size of the target. So few good targets that I lose memory of what they sound like and I’m digging small pop can rivets, needle like iron, wires…

I’m wondering if the M15 coil is less sensitive to foil and small targets but still good on good targets and might solve my problem.

I'm surprised at the number of people that say they can't tell target size with the Equinox or Manticore. I personally have no issue telling a small target like .22 bullet from a coin or pop can unless it super deep.

If you're new to the Manticore it will come with more time on the machine. All of the coils are fairly sensitive to small targets. Lowering the sensitivity can help as well as selecting rich audio profile under your audio type can also help.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, bklein said:

I’m wondering if the M15 coil is less sensitive to foil and small targets

If it is, it's not much less. I'm still losing targets through my scoop holes in the water. Dug some really small stuff in the sand also. Pop rivet heads from beach chairs, split shot sinkers, tiny can slaw, etc. All the likely suspects are still hitting with the M15.

I've noticed with the manticore that with .22 and .22 shell casings that they always sound bigger then they actually are. And I know the 2d trace doesn't truly indicate the size of an object but the trace is kinda large for these two when they're shallow.  This also happens with tiny pieces of aluminum, they sound larger and trace larger then they are.  Real annoying when you're on the beach and have a loud target that's a small piece of junk that keeps falling through the scoop. 

I'll post what the manual says about the info that can be gleaned from the 2D trace so you guys can interpret it your own way:

"Factors that affect the shape and position of the Target Trace include metallic composition, complexity, orientation and depth as well as swing rate and Frequency setting. The opacity of the Target Trace is dependant on target strength. Strong signals generate a darker trace (are more opaque) whereas weaker signals generate a lighter trace (are more transparent)."

So as I see it, a larger item won't give a larger smudge/dot, but maybe a DARKER spot if it's not real deep. If it's deep, a weaker signal will show as a LIGHTER, grayish display. If a tiny piece of can slaw is just 1" down, it too will give a darker spot on the display because it is a strong signal also. So we are screwed due to Manticore's ability to hit strong on small stuff! It's all about signal strength and the metal's conductivity properties when it comes to the 2D trace.

In my practice sessions at home with a bucket of black sand, Rich mode should help, but afterwards at the beach not really.  I guess I’ll just spread the sand with my shoe and if no target seen I’m done and move on.  But… I was hearing very weak signals in the wet and digging them and they were coins. Didn’t try setting back to Simple to see if they were louder unfortunately.

M15 sees bigger objectives deeper and stronger, but smaller/thinner less deep, compared to M11 and M8. 

What I have found is that M15 works better through black sand and on those micro accumulation of little objectives in the sand. 

In my beaches, M15 is incredible. 

7 hours ago, bklein said:

I guess I’ll just spread the sand with my shoe and if no target seen I’m done and move on.  

I've been using the M8 exclusively on the wet beach sand and am now at the point where if I spread the sand out paper thin and still cannot locate the target, I move on. I used to cringe at the thought of leaving anything I might detect again but it is painstakingly slow to try and recover every little bit. A very successful hunter friend of mine told me this years ago... If I don't see the flash of gold I move on. The M8 is picking up the tiniest shards of non-ferrous metal and many of them blend in with the darker sand, mainly tiny copper pieces.

• Like 4

You should have no trouble telling target size with the M-Core after some use...small items that are deep esp aluminum will sound faint..like mentioned above by Okara I don't spend too much time looking for the micro targets...push it around a few times if it don't reveal itself the hell with it...How many big diamond earrings are actually real? none that I have found.... and what is a small diamond earring really worth...not worth the time for me personally I'd rather spend it looking for gold rings..

strick 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, okara gold said:

am now at the point where if I spread the sand out paper thin and still cannot locate the target, I move on.

5 hours ago, strick said:

I don't spend too much time looking for the micro targets...push it around a few times if it don't reveal itself the hell with it..

I'm with you guys.....if you can't see it, it ain't what I'm looking for. You can spend 10-15 minutes trying to find a small piece of crap if you don't have a pin pointer. I don't carry one because I figure if it's that small, I don't want it anyway.

• Like 2