Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

And surprisingly lower priced detectors like the Algoforce can help with that tough to get gold, I can swing it in virtually my normal settings with a mono coil in places I would be struggling with my GPX 5000, 6000 or 7000 due to EMI. 

It's capable of picking up smaller gold than the GPZ in stock form, it can pick up gold the 5000 misses due to the specci type nature of the gold or just the gold size is too small for the 5000. 

In a lead pellet ridden area I could rule out plenty of pellets relatively safely and still chase gold due to it's target ID's.

So, although a far cheaper unit, it has advantages over a much more expensive detector to a savvy user.

So, one could say it another way and make up a random percentage and say Algoforce will find this % of gold the GPZ, GPX 5000 or GPX 6000 will miss.

They're all just made-up numbers, it's not like anyone is testing it, but The Algoforce will likely find some gold the others will miss, they will find gold the Algoforce would miss.  Would I pick the Algo as my primary detector? No, at this stage I prefer the GPZ, followed by the 6000, but the Algo has its place and I do have uses for it even though it's a significantly cheaper detector.

Had I not had the money for the high end units, I'd be thrilled by the price of the Algoforce for the performance it delivers me, the difference in prices are no way linked to the %'s of performance increase in these detectors, if the Algo is $2500 AUD, and the GPZ 10,000 AUD, the Algo is certainly not only 25% of a GPZ, and like Northeast estimated up around 80% I'd say that depends where you're hunting, in an area with lots of small shallow type gold It's likely over 80%, in a place with deep lunkers that really require a GPZ or GPX 5000 with their large coils, it will be left in the dust and likely will be 25% of the GPZ's performance.

Too many variables to be so narrow minded.

The good thing is, these lower priced detectors do sell very well, and it's a market Minelab won't want to miss out on, and at the moment they are, they're going to have to deal with it.  Competition is great, and I can see all their pricing coming down over the next year or so, even on the 6000 and 7000 because of this shift in the market that's taking place, I just wish Garrett started it instead of trying to play with the big boys.

If I had to make up artificial percentages I'd give the Algo 65%, the GPX 5000 70% for its depth pulled down by its lack of small gold/specimen sensitivity, GPX 6000 85% and my favourite GPZ 90%, they have yet to reach my 100% detector. 

• Like 6

On 6/10/2024 at 1:36 AM, dig4gold said:

But will any of the mentioned detectors be as good as or better than a minelab at finding gold? I don't think so.

They may be lighter, they may be more ergonomically friendly & they may have features & functions that seem to fit ones wants & needs. But at the end of the day will they find gold that a number of minelabs won't, comparing horses with horses? I say no, minelab will still have the edge.

D4G

I think you are missing the point my friend.

It's options that customers prefer.  Options provides us end users a choice and that creates opportunities for different manufactures to compete at pricing, which is exactly what will drive the price.  If no options and no competition, then 1 manufacture can stick it to us as they wish.

One may have a fat wallet and money hanging out their arse, but that is not the majority of people.  Most folks have a budget and lifestyle that is not open to any price of any product.

As for any detector being able to find gold better than a Minelab?  Please please hurry and take your blinders off before you totally lose your site and vision.  I know, I was one of those "Blinder Guys" back in the 70 and 80's before such thing as Minelab.  Then in the 90's when I started having customers finding more than I, with something different, I then realized my wearing blinders and thinking 1 brand is the best, cost me finds.

Here's an example for you and anyone else who wears blinders.

Just recently as 2022 I take a new unknown and or unproven Axiom to field while learning it's operation, features Pros/Cons. During my testing I start noticing certain patterns/results. Seems it's new PI technology is able to respond to certain types of gold better than some of the top performing PI detectors on the market that are more expensive.  It also works better in trash areas than any other high end Minelab out on the market at this time (notice I said at this time). I keyed into these fresh exciting new learned benefits and took it to the old worked over sites I know from years of Prospecting.  

First location, I was detecting a site some of my Staff/I have been detecting since 90's.  We had success back in the day and pretty much had the gravy removed.  Yes, most of the gold was recovered with Minelab's and all the way up to the GPZ-7000.  Garrett, providing us an "option of a PI" capable of finding gold better than my trusty expensive (fat wallet-less Minelab) was put to use and started rewarding me.  My own Field Staff started noticing, I was having more Success.  They too were intrigued with seeing my collect start adding up again and from the same old site we had cleaned the gravy. So you know how it goes, they started swinging Axiom and having more success all over again.  

So now you and others will know, it's not just me who is enjoying the benefits of detector options, it's my Staff as well.  I also have very successful customers who now own an Axiom and have since sold their GPZ-7000. I don't tell them they have to use machine X.  They are grown men and they decide what works best for them. 

So here's the short of the story (me being short with words, hardly ever, sorry).

It's not a rare 1 location place that different options finds my customers and I more gold with an Axiom.  Try 4 states so far that I know of (CA, OR, ID, NV.).  Me personally, I have recovered many ounces of Au with a different option detector than my traditional Minelabs and done so in 3 different states.

It's interesting to point out.  I recently had a customer looking for a used Axiom.  I reached out to 2 of my Staff and asked if they were interested in selling theirs?  It was as if I had insulted them.  No heck no, it was a He-ll No.

Please folks, quit wearing blinders and thinking Mine-$$$ will buy you more gold finds.  In my opinion, operator skill level and detector/gold knowledge is part of what puts the Au in the poke.

Options from different manufacturers allows competition which helps keep the prices down and that helps allow more folks the opportunity to try different detectors and see for themselves what fits their needs.

I'm not going to bombard everyone with a Photo Bomb of my Success, but I will share 3 pics from 3 different US states many miles apart, just to prove, it's not a rare 1 site pony.

4Ba.jpg

GerAxA2023.jpg

20220804_114305.jpg

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

One may have a fat wallet and money hanging out their arse, but that is not the majority of people.  Most folks have a budget and lifestyle that is not open to any price of any product.

Hi Gerry in Idaho. I totally get your point & Steve's. I definitely don't have a fat wallet or money hanging out my arse. All my detecting is funded from gold I have found & sold to buy what I buy to keep my detector arsenal up to date with what I believe to be the best selection for my many different locations with the best chances of success. Minelab has proved itself to me time & time again As we know one detector does not do it all & I don't think one detector ever will.

Your example of the Axiom is proof of that point but then you are a very experienced & savvy operator. Not all my detectors are minelabs either, so I know there are windows & holes that other detectors get a glimpse. That will always be a given.

I know that as people get older & maybe suffering a bit from years of swinging detectors & having shoulder, elbow & wrist issues (RSI). Not to mention knee & hip problems & getting up & down from digging targets. Even just traversing the terrain in older age the want of lighter & more agronomical detectors becomes a factor over the heavier detectors, even if they take a performance drop.  People starting out in this hobby do have more choices at the cheaper end of PI technology & that is all good. Be it that gold is getting harder to find by the day & that the bigger bits are a rarity these days.

The glory days are behind us & the focus now seems to be on the rats & mice & people competing for the smallest gold. Sad really. But I have said that before. Still, it is fun getting out there. You never know your luck.

D4G

• Like 4