How Do I Find Out Which Is A Earlier Or Later Model Of The GPX 4500 ??

Its been mentioned a few times that the earlier version of the GPX 4500 was/is the deeper of the 2 models, but my question is how can one tell what version mine is please, its done by checking the serial number on the control box.

But does anyone have a list or how can i find out please which version i have, some help on this one would be most welcome, as i understand it the earlier 4500 was the slightly deeper and more desirable one.

Any information/advice would be most welcome.

Many thanks.

• Like 1

I have no idea but my best guess would be to email Minelab service dept providing the serial number and ask what year it was made.  

Wasn't the thinking that the units made in Aus were better than the ones made overseas?  Somewhere on the unit does it have "Made In ..........."?  Inside the control unit perhaps?   I assume you don't have the original box?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Northeast said:

I have no idea but my best guess would be to email Minelab service dept providing the serial number and ask what year it was made.  

Wasn't the thinking that the units made in Aus were better than the ones made overseas?  Somewhere on the unit does it have "Made In ..........."?  Inside the control unit perhaps?   I assume you don't have the original box?  

Many thanks for your reply,it has given me a few possible leads to find out which model i own,no i dont have the box anymore,but will check with Minelab the serial number etc.....thanks again for your input.

• The title was changed to How Do I Find Out Which Is A Earlier Or Later Model Of The GPX 4500 ??

Easiest way to know is check the serial and see the warranty end date. If you PM it to myself or any other dealer we can check through the dealer portal. It'll give you an idea of when the machine was made anyway. 

Heard many rumors about older machines being better than newer but personally never tested it

I believe Woody has mentioned that the boards were different when they did the second Sudan run of 4500’s that had some different components due to using similar boards as the 5000 that had to be different for the Finegold timings, but my memory is faint on all the details though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RONS DETECTORS MINELAB said:

I believe Woody has mentioned that the boards were different when they did the second Sudan run of 4500’s that had some different components due to using similar boards as the 5000 that had to be different for the Finegold timings, but my memory is faint on all the details though.

Ron,you are totally correct,it was Woody who has mentioned it more than a few times in his videos about the 4500 that he has modified,hence why i asked the question.

As the earlier models had been slightly deeper without any after market modifications,what the exact difference is i dont have a clue.....may send Woody a email asking him.

Thanks for your reply.

My understanding is the earlier ones like the one I had which were made in Australia were a little noisier, people attributed this to being a bit more powerful, although the noisier design carried on a long time after they moved to Malaysia production. 

Maybe there is a bit of flag waving going on with people thinking the Aussie made ones were deeper, I don't know, I do know I prefer my 5000 than my 4500, and as the newer 4500's run more stable like my 5000 I'd rather a newer 4500 than an older one.  I did fall for the possible placebo of mine being an Aussie made one so it was superior though, until I got my 5000 and saw how much more stable and quieter it was, and my testing when I had both was, I couldn't see any performance benefit at all to keeping the "deeper" model 4500..

The newer (far newer) models were using some of the changes the 5000 PCB had and ran quite a bit quieter by comparison from the reading I did on the topic. 

My 5000 runs so much quieter than my 4500 did, and I see it as an advantage, more stable detector, more chance I would find little gold with it.   I have parted with my 4500 now, I was unlikely to ever use it again so it was just wasting away.

I wouldn't worry if yours is a newer one, or an older one, and the depth difference if any would be hard to measure, I'm sure.

Minelab Australia's service department can tell you where yours was made by the serial number, they did for me.

• Like 3