Marvelous Manticore

Below are the results from a couple of days pulling apart mullock piles using the Manticore with the M8 coil .  For the likes of Reg etc.  I will preface this post by declaring I am in no way a prospector and have detected for gold probably less than 20 times in my life . And yes , my gold is certainly fly poop !  Of course I hope to stumble over a larger piece but meanwhile as a person who detects metals I find it utterly fascinating how small a gold piece the Manticore can find .  I am using a version #1 machine that was one of the early machines into Australia . Gold mode , recovery 5 , sens 22-24 . Have experimented with tracking on and off finding that I cannot track out a small bit . Ground balance here is running between 40 to 54 . I am not using all metal mode .  Gold is coming in at 6 to 9 in the sizes below . Hot rocks in the 20's and clearly in the non ferrous area on screen . Also 1 and 2 have so far proven to be rubbish . Signals on gold have been very clear and easy to call as gold , except for small lead .  The area I am hunting has very high E.M.I. which drives my Nox nuts , but silent running here for the Manticore .  The only drawback is coil knock sensitivity so requires good coil management , ditto for the Nox .

Two days hunting with the second day being with two mates using their 6000's , they found nothing ! I have to say I have no wish to find gold any smaller unless it's in a pan . The Nox with a 6" coil may be superior on bits below .04 gram but above that I believe the Manticore is well in front . Sorry about the quality of the pics . I have no macro function on my camera and feel rather jealous of some of the pics on the forum .

P1020368.JPG

P1020370.JPG

P1020371.JPG

P1020373.JPG

P1020366.JPG

• Like 1

I have yet to take my setup into the gold fields, but it is very encouraging to see your results! Thank you for sharing.

• Like 1

I totally can envision your results on the small nuggets because I have found just as small pieces of aluminum using the 11". It's really fascinating how small a piece this machine sniffs out. Most of them I never find because I don't use a pin pointer. Once I have the target in my hand buried in a small clump of sand, I go through it with my finger and most of the time, I don't find it even though it's in a small bit of sand. When I do find one, I'm like "What? That's it? Are you kidding me?". Ha! 😮

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TampaBayBrad said:

I totally can envision your results on the small nuggets because I have found just as small pieces of aluminum using the 11". It's really fascinating how small a piece this machine sniffs out. Most of them I never find because I don't use a pin pointer. Once I have the target in my hand buried in a small clump of sand, I go through it with my finger and most of the time, I don't find it even though it's in a small bit of sand. When I do find one, I'm like "What? That's it? Are you kidding me?". Ha! 😮

My feelings exactly! I've strained my eyes looking in the sand for the tiniest bit of metal that the Manti responds to. I don't use a pinpointer on the beach but find it really useful when dirt hunting. I'm doing that type of hunting at the moment.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another trip out chasing gold .  Was nearly skunked after 4 hours work with just one rock in the bag that was giving a signal without any visible gold . A scrub under the tap at home revealed about 9 tiny spots of gold in it .

Gave up and went relic detecting to save my day , finding enough to keep me keen . All up , another great day in the bush doing what I love .

It's a great "all rounder" this Manticore .

P1020400.JPG

P1020399.JPG

P1020398.JPG

P1020397.JPG

• Like 1