Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Enter the Blender.

I'm thrilled about the upcoming wind, but not so thrilled about actually being in the wind now that the weather is getting cooler. I may go out this morning, although tomorrow morning looks a little calmer. This time of year you can't really pass any days up, especially now that its is getting darker I'm limited to weekends.

Basically the wind is going to going to be somewhat northerly from typical western wind today, then its going to flip around and start coming from the southeast on Sunday culminating in a big southern blast on Tuesday, (The red block with the 80 in it) then shifts back to the west to pound the shoreline relentlessly spanning a period of 48 hours.

The sand wont know if it's coming or going. I suspect I may see sand piled high enough to breach the surface of the water when this is done.
This should also strip the shoreline in a few particular spots, I'm just basing this off a similar storm and conditions last year. The water level is down well over a foot, so these violent storms tend to pull the sand right off the beach in spots, exposing the clay. The sand cant return until the water level comes back up in the spring and the wind stabilizes. If this happens again I want to use a magnet to try and pick up some of the iron that is masking the shoreline. I was able to spot wheat cents and a silver/14K ring with my eye, but could not detect them with the 11" coil I had on at the time, though I did wiggle out a few decent targets. (Wheats and a silver dime) There is so much iron in spots that even a 6" isn't any easier, (A small coil does not make recovery any easier) that's why I just want to magnet or rake a bunch of it up. I could have raked out a bucket full last year.

Within this iron patch I found a shallow depression in the clay that had collected about 15-20 pennies spanning about 80 years. I guess this demonstrates that at least some targets are able to migrate along the clay/sand interface and head towards deeper water, assuming they don't actually get lodged in the clay from someone stepping on them.

Blender.png

Today was miserable, the water and wind would burn my face.

It's days like this that make me think that I may have an addiction rather then a hobby. ?

I found a log I hadn't come across before. I usually try to move them to see if anything collected underneath. I got some negative numbers below it, but thought I would have a look anyway. Out comes a piece of a wood crate, there was more negatives in the hole, but it was too cold to care about them.

I kept it because there was some writing on it. Since it was below a log, it could be a relic from over a hundred years ago when parts of this area was land. I find patches of rotting wood out there, incidentally these areas never give up any gold. I suspect the gold just sinks too deep into the rotting root structure.

Two little terriers took interest in this thing too, so much so that they absconded from me when I was taking my shoes off, ran under the table and started chewing the letters off. lol now we'll never know what it said.

I did find some promising erosion that was giving up lots of lead, but I had enough by that point.

wood crate.jpg

On 11/3/2018 at 6:55 PM, Alluminati said:

It's days like this that make me think that I may have an addiction rather then a hobby. ?

:laugh: That's what I often thought while driving to various beaches in no man's land at the middle of the night, or at crazy weather situations

This year I've sometimes been out 5/7 days a week.. my wife didn't find that very amusing.. so next season is going to get waaaay calmer :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All that glitters is cold, or something like that.

Here is today's loot. The Quarter is a 1973 Mountie, a coin celebrating the R.C.M.P. from 1873-1973.

The penny is no big deal, other then it is a 1964 -silver era. This was another one of those high conductors that up averaged in the surrounding iron, you could not walk away from it even though it was hard to recover in the surrounding trash. It's good that this machine doesn't seem to iron false in the high numbers, meaning that coin stuck out like a sore thumb.

The gaudy earring was another big high conductor, turned out to be junk.

Last but not least is kind of an interesting find. It appears to be a "6mm Flobert" round which was a cross between a 22 short and a 22 BB gun. It could date back to the late 1800s, though I'll assume its a little newer. A quote from Wikipedia says it "managed to combine about all the disadvantages...[of both] into one generally useless cartridge" lol.

Horse coin.jpg

Ice tree.jpg

• Like 2

Boy, that looks freezin' .. :blink:

I've found 5-10 of those floberts - they ring pretty strong for their size and fall through the scoop almost every time :happy:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sinclair said:

Boy, that looks freezin' .. :blink:

I've found 5-10 of those floberts - they ring pretty strong for their size and fall through the scoop almost every time :happy:

You know I was going to say I though it rang up high, I think I saw 10 or 15 flash a few times which is a bit higher then the usual 22 long casing.