A Few Hours Out Comparing The 13"and 9" Coils (update)

F350Platinum

46 minutes ago, Carolina said:

It is all I use on the damp, wet and in the wash knee deep now on the Atlantic coast. I do not hunt dry sand. I use the 11โ€ in the bay with my dry suit up to chest deep. I am primarily a salt water hunter. I have the 9โ€ for land use ( ( ( trashy & iron laden dirt ) which is seldom.

8A029FD3-449C-4F37-9B3A-E0DC5919C868.jpeg

Thanks for jumping in Carolina. ๐Ÿ‘I think if one wasย only concerned with gold rings one might be disappointed ๐Ÿค” it's not like the 13" coil is magic or a ring magnet, but I think we've both proven that if there is anything there it will find it. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Like 3

Got out a couple more times since I posted this, the ground is defrosting and drying up. ๐Ÿ™‚ย 

20221229_142131.thumb.jpg.f3c65e49c2bdc4848f857e72c96ddf7e.jpg

The 13" is great for scouting a place out, but I tend to find more and more quickly with the 9". I do however think the 13" can identify a deeper target more accurately. Finding a target sometimes is a bit different, the coil is large so without X'ing it the target may be off center. The 9" is almost always spot on.20221229_193156.thumb.jpg.53a5c0204a3de1537a5c28b04373baa2.jpg

I'm searching a place where there isn't much, the area I dug the above in had the top layer scraped to create berms to control erosion. Very cool old general store token, and a nice flat button. The wheat is 1930s I think. I may test the night light to see if it still works! ๐Ÿ˜€20221230_175739.thumb.jpg.5fa48dddc80b9be17bdb5bc8f622328b.jpg

More from that same area, ox knob, faucet handle, bag button, bullet is a .45-70. Guess at some point it was legal to hunt with that sort of rifle. The button is a very old Scovill one piece cast button with a pretty obliterated pattern on it.

2021349213_images(15).jpeg.81d96702a31bcd9326295b0d369fa69c.jpeg

20221230_175849.thumb.jpg.950b4fb880f35e64a29b9abedb873b4c.jpg

• Like 5

• The title was changed to A Few Hours Out Comparing The 13"and 9" Coils (update)
1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

The 13" is great for scouting a place out, but I tend to find more and more quickly with the 9". I do however think the 13" can identify a deeper target more accurately. Finding a target sometimes is a bit different, the coil is large so without X'ing it the target may be off center. The 9" is almost always spot on.

ย 

ย 

Very cool finds again F350!

So would you say you use the 9" coil more than the 13" coil?

ย 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Very cool finds again F350!

So would you say you use the 9" coil more than the 13" coil?

ย 

Honestly about the same for these hunts, but maybe the 13" a bit more. It was great to have the WS6 Master along, when I got an idea of where I wanted to look with the 13" I grab the 9" to retrieve stuff faster. It also came in handy when I got tired, I covered a lot of ground. Despite its small size the 9" has a pretty wide field on its own when turned up over this mild soil.

What I want to do is start using both, find something with the 13" and see if the 9" can see it as well. With both on the same settings that would really be interesting to me. I'll have to wait for one of those short but pure lines on the XY screen, the WS6 doesn't do that. ๐Ÿ˜€ It doesn't happen often, most stuff here is well within the reach of both.

I pretty much bought the 13" for my future beach exploits, but it does make a great scouting coil on fairly stalk -free farmland. Remember that I've found that the 13" on SteveG's CF shaft weighsย lessย than the 10x5 on a SteveG Equinox CF shaft. Not much, but still less. After using it for a while the WS6 Master setup feels like a walking stick. ๐Ÿ˜

I've already cracked two of the 3 11" coil centering devices I have for the 13". It doesn't fit perfectly so I'm not saying they aren't up to the task. I don't think I would like it at all without one but I'm sure someone will make one specifically for it soon. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Like 3