Is It Time To Move On Beyond Whites Metal Detectors?

I have been a devoted fan of Whites since the 1970s. Can't recall the exact number of machines I owned, but each and every one was special and had their own speciality. Since Whites has shuttered their doors I am beginning to wonder if I should begin to let go of some of my high end detectors while they are still "young". I know Centreville Electronics in VA has a contract to continue to service White's detectors under warranty, but the clock is ticking. Old units are still serviced as long as parts are plentiful.

On one hand, these machines don't see the wear and tear of most electronics so they are less likely to fail during normal daily use.  However, technology becomes obsolete. It is also true no real eye popping breaktrhoughs in metal detecting have occurred in the last 20 years. Yes, the weight of detector has come down and the bells and whistles have proliferated, but a metal detector is still a metal detector and does what it has always done. The operator is the key to how well the machine performs.

I an earlier post I lamented the fact that it is nearly impossible to find coil covers and some parts for existing Whites models.  The above being said, when is it time to say "goodbye" to an ole friend?

• Like 5

Welcome to the forum!

I would buy a gently used MXT Pro or an MX5 if they came with coils that I liked right now. Two great single frequency detectors that to me are worth owning and using in the right circumstances and are also worth owning (especially the MXT Pro) just for sentimental reasons for me anyway.

I sold my White's VLF detectors before they closed or before I even had an inkling that they were shutting down operations. Some of the latest detectors just outperformed the Whites detectors I had where I detect. But I still enjoyed using them. I hung on to my TDIs for awhile but they too were eventually sold in search of a gold prospecting/relic "do it all well" PI that didn't weigh 5+ pounds.

I picked up a Garrett/Whites 24k and plan to keep it since it is basically a gold prospecting specific 48 kHz MXT Pro. 

Good luck with your decision.

• Like 4

Hello Michaeldoc2u. Welcome aboard.

It is hard to tell when a detector is done. As long as I can get energy for them (batteries or rechargeables) and they find things for me they will have a warm place in my home. When all 4 are done (3 White's and my CZ70-Pro), and I can swing a detector, I think then it will be time for a update (detectorlike).

More than one time I though about selling one or two, and people are willing to buy I know for sure. But when the deal is done there is one drawback...I'll never get back these machines. Others may be I think, but I know the ones I own work as they should; will the new one do??

Some coils from detech for White's detectors are still available and on budget. Other White's accessories like coils and covers will uprise every now and than in the "used" market so gthere is no reason to me to get panic. 😊

Anyway, however you decide, keep us posted.

Good Luck & Have Fun

WhitesimStrandkorb-2.thumb.jpg.7e618a525ee495f9c267db9abe7c313a.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Well, in my case, I went ahead and got a newer detector (just recently - still learning).  But I’m not planning on getting rid of my Spectrum XLT which I’ve had for about 25 years.  My kids are old enough they want to go detecting now.  So they have been taking out the XLT.  I might have to get the screen fixed though, several of the lines are dead.  However since the XLT can use regular batteries, the XLT might outlive my new detector’s built-in rechargeable.  I also have a sneaking suspicion that the XLT might have an edge over my new detector under certain conditions - a suspicion I will have to put to the test the next time we go back to a couple sites.

Is it time to move beyond Whites? The answer might depend on they type of detecting you like to do. I used a DFX for many years and made a lot of great finds with it. It was one tough unit. I then got an XP Deus 1. For me, that was the end of the road for my DFX. I hunt iron-laden cellar hole sites in the middle of the woods. I can't think of any time where I regretted not having my old DFX instead of my Deus. It was just the superior tool for what I was doing. The guy I sold my DFX to, had a DFX and got rid of it. He tried several other detectors but went back to the DFX. He was a park hunter and in his opinion, the DFX target ID was the best. 

I would like to say in the same time frame you're talking about your detectors I'll be talking about mine the same way, a couple of which I've paid almost 10 grand for, yet I honestly think they'll not even last much more than 10 years if that and one of them I'd be surprised if it lasts 5 years let alone a few decades or more.  These White's machines are high quality troopers as evident by the age of them and the devoted users still swinging them.  Electronics are becoming more and more disposable every year so I would say keep them if you enjoy them, you know them and love them and you'd struggle to get them back if you sold them. 

A new detector will have better features and be lighter and possibly find more.  If you're struggling to find stuff then maybe a new detector may help, if you're doing fine and are happy I see no reason to change and start learning all over again. 

I can have a great time with any detector you throw into my hands, and that's what it's all about. 

Depending on where you are (soil type) and what you do with your detectors even perhaps just selling one and buying a modern entry level detector like a Vanquish, X-terra Pro or Simplex or even the crazy low priced relatively high end Legend might give you a boost into the new modern detectors without paying too much money.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I have a treasure pro that I got back when they came out I have found more with that in one month than I have in the 5 years that I have used the equinox 800. I wanted a v3i when I bought the 800 the v3i was just a little out of my price range. I thought well minelab is a good company and they are useing 5 frequencies not 3. Now the fault of not having a good time with the 800 is mostly on me I know it’s a great machine but when I saw the new manticore coming out and it’s 2D frequency display I looked into it. It would be most helpful but only coming out right now with the standered coil and not having a small one is a big deal for where I hunt. Then I remembered the V3i had something like that where you can look at the response of all of the frequinceys from a target. The more I looked the more I came to realize that what whites spectra V3i was 10+ years ago is still at the front of the technology in metal detecting. So I found a V3i on eBay with a few coils with it. I have only had it maybe two weeks and have found more targets with less trash in the two weeks than in the first year with the 800. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Craig said:

I have a treasure pro that I got back when they came out I have found more with that in one month than I have in the 5 years that I have used the equinox 800. I wanted a v3i when I bought the 800 the v3i was just a little out of my price range. I thought well minelab is a good company and they are useing 5 frequencies not 3. Now the fault of not having a good time with the 800 is mostly on me I know it’s a great machine but when I saw the new manticore coming out and it’s 2D frequency display I looked into it. It would be most helpful but only coming out right now with the standered coil and not having a small one is a big deal for where I hunt. Then I remembered the V3i had something like that where you can look at the response of all of the frequinceys from a target. The more I looked the more I came to realize that what whites spectra V3i was 10+ years ago is still at the front of the technology in metal detecting. So I found a V3i on eBay with a few coils with it. I have only had it maybe two weeks and have found more targets with less trash in the two weeks than in the first year with the 800. 

Welcome to the forum.

Your soil must be very mild. 

I have owned all three of the detectors you mentioned.

I had just the opposite experience but the soils I most often hunt in are a mess.

• Like 1