Older Pis

Hi all, hope this is the correct place for this question. I’m wondering if any of the older PI machines are worth getting and what the pros and cons would be. My goal is to save money while still finding gold and having fun. I want an Axiom but it’s just out of my price range at this time. So staying between a GP 3500 and GPX 5000 what should I look for?

Desert Law

The 3500 was a great detector for its time but the 5000 has so many settings added than anything before it .

It’s some good used 5000 out there at a great price with extra coils and it’s going to find you gold. If you don’t want the big battery that smaller battery pack they sell works great that will fit on the side of your detector.

Chuck 

If nothing here check with Rob’s detector sales are Gerry’s detectors both guys come on here and both got something in the ad department.

Chuck 

Why don’t you go to the classifieds section and put WTB a 5000. I’d say this is the best way to find what you want.

Chuck 

I doubt you'd be disappointed with the GPX 5000, fantastic detector that can handle just about anything you throw at it, with some modifications like a different battery and a wireless transmitter you've got yourself a fine machine.  It's also the detector with the most coil options on the market and second hand coils go for reasonable prices if you wanted to get a range of coils on the cheap.  I wouldn't go a 3500 unless you had to, the 5000 at least is still current and can be serviced and repaired if faults should arise.

With a small coil or smallish spiral coil it's also very sensitive to small gold which is the most common out there, not quite GPX 6000 level or Axiom level by the sounds of it but pretty good none the less and you have your GM1000 for the tiny bits anyway.

14 hours ago, Desert Law said:

Hi all, hope this is the correct place for this question. I’m wondering if any of the older PI machines are worth getting and what the pros and cons would be. My goal is to save money while still finding gold and having fun. I want an Axiom but it’s just out of my price range at this time. So staying between a GP 3500 and GPX 5000 what should I look for?

Rob Allison from Rob's Detectors has an slightly used Axiom for sale in the Classified section for $3000. That is a great deal. You will not find too many used GPX 5000s for sale that are priced below $2500 so that Axiom price is really good considering its newer tech, lighter weight, less complicated features/controls and decent coil selection. Rob is awesome by the way both with online/phone communication and in person.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Rob Allison from Rob's Detectors has a slightly used Axiom for sale in the Classified section for $3000. That is a great deal. You will not find too many used GPX 5000s for sale that are priced below $2500 so that Axiom price is really good considering its newer tech, lighter weight, less complicated features/controls and decent coil selection. Rob is awesome by the way both with online/phone communication and in person.

Yes I saw that, it really tempting. Just a thousand short. I know there will be another one. 

What are the thoughts on the GPX 4000/4500 series or is the 5000 the way to go?

41 minutes ago, Desert Law said:

What are the thoughts on the GPX 4000/4500 series or is the 5000 the way to go?

For me personally the difference was small, the 5000 has fine gold timing which suits some peoples conditions, it also has coin and relic timing if you're interested in that in VERY mild soils looking for coins.

The 5000 also runs smoother and handles EMI better than early 4500's, the newer 4500's are based upon the same hardware and the advantages are less notable than early model 4500's.

Some light reading.

https://www.minelab.com/community/treasure-talk/the-gpx-5000-compared

It's worth reading both links.

If they're similar priced the 5000 every day, if there is a substantial price difference the 4500 is the better choice.

I've had both, I disposed of my 4500, but nothing to do with performance compared the the 5000, just the 5000 is slightly better.  At the time when prices were substantially different I'd say the 5000 over-priced.    It's a bit of an Equinox 800/900 all over again, some will understand that 🙂

If a 4500 is in your price range it's a great detector and not all that far behind a 5000.

• Like 2