Minelab Software Updates

On 4/26/2023 at 4:27 PM, AhNibblet said:

I have been reading all the discussion about an upcoming MCore update; but as a new Minelab user, I am more interested in long term support. 

How have Nox updates been?  Does anyone know how long the MCore will remain in active software development with Minelab before being put on the back burner for new machine development?  Nokta Macro has been quick with updates, but Minelab seems to move so slow. 

What is everyone’s opinion of how the Manticore will be supported after the upcoming software release?

Minelab looks at updates as bug fixes, and the more updates there are, the more that means a machine was not finished when released. There is nothing to be happy about or proud about in having lots of updates. If machines are properly vetted in beta testing and development updates should be minimal at best.

• Like 8

I mentioned in another post I was kinda surprised there were no real bugs with the Manticore software. Meaning they had it pretty well sorted out before release. I do hope there are updates that either add a feature or improve some things. I thought the F2 update on the Equinox was a very nice update. In my opinion there should be a team that would be working on Manticore improvements for a period of time after a release. Whether or not I'm being realistic about that or not I'm not sure. I'd hope they just don't call it good and move on without investigating improvements.   

Adding one more thing. If a known machine is good and selling is it better to update that machine to make it better if possible vs. releasing another detector? It would seem to me if you could update detectors with positive performance updates that would trump releasing another model. That way your not retooling and diluting models you might still be selling. I'm not in the business of designing and selling detectors. So what do know.

The problem with updates is it makes it harder to release a new model in the future, if people are happy buying the product as is when its released every update you do that adds features or improves the detector makes the next model that bit harder to do, we know VLF's have virtually hit a wall, so any improvement you do on an already released detector isn't beneficial for the future models.  Minelab are very good at saving some in the tank for the next model, especially on gold detectors where there was little to no competition, with the VLF's now they're having to throw a lot more at it to stay with the pack, they certainly don't dominate VLF's like they do gold detectors.

The initial Legend is a very different detector to the latest updated detector.  Great for the customer, not so good for Nokta who will now need to do a lot to release a Legend 2 and make it viable.  They've already made it clear there won't be one in a hurry though with no Legend 600, 800, 900, 1000 etc.

• Like 3

The Vanquish had a bit of a laughable update though, it came with rechargeable batteries for the 540, yet because rechargeable batteries in AA are 1.25 volts and standard AA batteries are 1.5 volt's it never registered the rechargeable batteries as fully charged on it's battery meter, it also just flicked off when they were running low on voltage even though they still had life left in them due to the rechargeable having a lower voltage to begin with.   

The reason for the 1.1 update said....

The upgrade also includes improved battery handling capability for all models, as well as a new low battery alert.

Nice way to cover up a blatantly obvious screw up 🙂

The Vanquish was a well tested detector in performance, absolutely fantastic I think but they missed something so stunningly obvious it's funny really.

I can just see it now, sitting around the board room table working out how to justify the higher 540 cost, let's throw in some rechargeable batteries too, that will help.  OK good idea!   Yet for some odd reason they'd never bothered to think about the different voltages.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Minelab looks at updates as bug fixes, and the more updates there are, the more that means a machine was not finished when released. There is nothing to be happy about or proud about in having lots of updates. If machines are properly vetted in beta testing and development updates should be minimal at best.

Agreed....reminds me of the constant iphone updates. Quite often when some bugs are fixed...new bugs are created.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2023 at 4:15 PM, phrunt said:

The problem with updates is it makes it harder to release a new model in the future

I tend to disagree with that..sadly... I'd bet you a grand, they announce a new CTX4040 this afternoon, and preorders are flying and the value of 800's hits an all time low, our precious Manti's are going for a grand...  the reason they continue to dump untested product on the market (all electronics in general) is the vapid desire to have the newest "whatever"....regardless... I'm still laughing at myself for buying one (got mine pretty early, someone announced they just got 2 and the buyer backed out) all the vid's I could see were unboxing and analysis of that photoshopped thing on the cover of the box 😄

updates, and coils minelab, finish what you started!!! 

8 hours ago, Medina said:

updates, and coils minelab, finish what you started!!! 

I'm trying to be positive and hoping the reason for the delay in Manticore coils is because they wanted a mass field test of the new design with us early adopters are testers before committing to it on the accessory coils in case they need modification.  They've had such a bad run with coil quality over various detectors they're probably just hoping this time they've got it right before releasing more when it's a totally new design.  I haven't seen anyone with Manticore coil's breaking yet, so it's looking positive.

• Like 1

I think that as detectorists we want updates to our devices, we want high-performance equipment at a lower cost, this is the trend that emerges.
Some companies have made it their credo, ''the detector where we listen to the customer''. Behind this, we also understand this desire to hook its customer to a product to stand out. But you have to look at the fabric of the market...
produce and improve metal detector software at a high cost for these companies in an engineering investment, which costs more than machine tools or local skilled workers. Each of them have advantages and limitations. Minelab has investors to whom it must be accountable, Makro Nockta has a cheaper labor process and a copyist tendency that avoids engineering costs, XP relies on the lightness and aging of the material with updating free day. Each of them exploits a vision of their equipment according to their financial commitment and profitability and this is how we must think about the updates of our detectors. Minelab is the king of the market in terms of sales volume with the African gold market in its head and will produce "successful" material so as not to have to come back to it, which is not in the DNA of its competitors who have understood this operation, but on the other hand produce smaller volumes and are ''closer to their customers''. Although when some for the Nox demanded refunds because it misdetected silver objects Minelab were forced to look into the issue for fear of lawsuits. We are going today towards customizable detectors at will, it is not impossible that tomorrow we will have bi-technology PI and VLF.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2023 at 8:42 AM, jasong said:

I was just looking for a used 800 for cheap and actually I'm pretty surprised there doesn't seem to be much out there. Did all the 800's sell quick, or did a lot of people keep theirs?

The only used ones I can find, I can get for about the same price new with a discount. 

I haven't seen many used EQX800's for sale at all since they were released, so I guess people are [for the time being] holding on to them.  Mine's not going anywhere anytime soon 🙂

• Like 5