Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

The GPZ has 32MB to play with I think, but some artificial limits, like 10 tracks/paths. And maybe 1000 find points? More stuff to double check but it is less a memory limit than limits imposed in software. They certainly could have put in more memory, cheap stuff these days, but then again you run into the issue of just how much stuff do you want in that GPZ in case somebody "borrows" it? Probably best to dump every couple days like I do now, even if it could hold more.

It may just be easier also to use SQLite Databrowser or one of the other couple freeware alternatives I am playing with to write a SQL script to do the same thing but I need to play a bit more with using SQL to generate kml. It looks like those programs can save SQL scripts and if so then they could be shared and run by anyone.

If anyone is following any of this at all please, please use saved copies of mldata and GPZ7000.MLX for any and all experimenting!!! And before anyone asks who does not know what or where those are it is looking more and more like a hacking the GPZ thread is in order.

That's awesome with the store database, I didn't think many prospectors were computer computer nerds like myself too haha. So many things you can do with them though, it's endless fun even when it's for work. Creating a tool and watching it work and save you countless hours of time is a great feeling.

Databases are one area I don't have a lot of experience in, though I have worked with SQL before in an oilfield database some time ago. I should probably relearn it all. You are definitely more knowledgeable than me there though.

My problem is that I get really into doing something, then I finish the project, then I forget everything I taught myself so I have to spend a few weeks relearning when I pick it up again to make something else. That's the reason I like Python though, it's so straightforward to me it just makes sense and it's real easy to relearn for me. But it sounds like database scripting is definitely the way to go for the GPS project you are working on anyways.

A hacking GPZ thread would be cool. On a somewhat related topic, but not related to GPS, I was just looking at the update files and I redownloaded the update yesterday out of curiosity, the file now is named different and is 10% smaller than it was when they first released the update. I have both update files, going to try to figure out what the difference is. I asked ML but they didn't reply, which isn't surprising I guess since I highly doubt they want people tinkering around in their firmware but ah well.