Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

New For 2020 - Bounty Hunter Time Ranger Pro..

I like the blue and black color scheme... owned too many black and gold detectors. :smile: But seriously the coil thing is the biggest deal, and for anyone wanting a machine that especially was for gold prospecting or even relic hunting, the F19 with 5” x 10” DD is probably the way to go. Double so if the goal is to own only one coil - the 5” x 10” may very well be the best all around coil for the 19 kHz models. In my nugget detecting reviews where I previously recommended the Gold Bug Pro I will be updating soon to recommend F19 instead. The only way you can get the 5” x 10” on the GBP is as part of a dual coil package, which effectively makes the GBP more expensive than the more capable F19. Even at the same price with same coils the F19 is the better machine... the Gold Bug Pro is getting a premium just for the name! ?

I’m a little oddball in that stock coil sizes tend to be my least used. I flip between extremes from the largest coil to smallest coil. For instance on my Equinox the 6” coil and 15” coil do the heavy lifting. So with that in mind I am rounding up a TRP with 7” x 11” coil and just ordered a NEL Snake. Kind of dumb as I really don’t need this but I want it and as Simon notes we only go around once. Anyway, the 3.5” x 6.5” DD will end up being my “stock” coil with the 7” x 11” for when I want ground coverage.

bounty-hunter-time-ranger-pro-metal-detector.jpg

48 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

seriously the coil thing is the biggest deal, and for anyone wanting a machine that especially was for gold prospecting or even relic hunting, the F19 with 5” x 10” DD is probably the way to go.

I have all three Fisher coils made for the Gold Bug family and all have performed well coin and relic hunting.  I found a lot of coins with simply the small (5" round) coil.  I did not do well in the limited time I was gold hunting out West (on short trips -- I live in the Midwest where metal detectable gold isn't easily accessed) but that was neither the fault of the detector nor the coil.

Even for coin and relic hunting, IMO if you are to get only one coil then the 5"x10" is going to be the most versatile.  But as Steve has said on multiple occasions, the 5"x10" and 7"x11" are close enough in size and performance that getting both is a lot of overlap -- better to get one of those in the initial purchase and an aftermarket 3rd-party coil such as Simon's favorite Detech Ultimate 12" x 13" or Steve's choice -- NEL Snake / Cors Shrew 3.5" x 6.5" (or both) to maximize diversity.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

I just think people need steered off the GBP as it's over priced for what it is which was the point of my post, the F19 and Time Ranger Pro are clearly better variants (paint jobs) and are a better price.  I hate seeing people get ripped off and I'm disappointed they are using this tactic to effectively trick people.

I'm wondering if this is to 'protect' dealers who already have GBPros in stock and have paid the higher (wholesale) price for them.  Would FTP rebate them for items stocked at the higher price?  Or do I completely misunderstand the pricing relationship?

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I'm wondering if this is to 'protect' dealers who already have GBPros in stock and have paid the higher (wholesale) price for them.  Would FTP rebate them for items stocked at the higher price?  Or do I completely misunderstand the pricing relationship?

No, you charge what the market will bear, and the Gold Bug Pro has a name that sells.

I used to sell outboards. Most outboards come in pairs as far as manufacturing. They are the same motor, but tuned up for different horsepower bands. You pay more for a 15 HP than a 10 HP even though it is the same motor. Only in the basest commodity products is there a direct correlation between production cost and retail. People will willing pay twice as much for a brand name product instead of the exact same thing in a generic package.

They sold a zillion Gold Bug Pro detectors in Africa, and you could probably not give away a F19 or TRP there to the gold prospectors. Just like they had to come out with the F19, G2+ and now TRP because coin and relic people would not buy a Gold Bug.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, gizmuch said:

HI

My colleague thinks G2 + is better than f19 and it's not the same on the same coils. Can you answer me, is that true?

They are the same circuit board in two different housings, and with the same coil should produce identical results. Coils do differ to some degree however, and this may be what he has experienced. The solution would be to use the exact same coil on both detectors by swapping it between the models. The chance of circuit board defects these days is rarer with surface mount technology and components, but not impossible.

He also may simply believe it to be true... the placebo effect works with detectors. There is no point in arguing with some people and I generally do not bother to try and convince people of things they do not want to believe. If he has a G2+ and wants to believe it is better than an F19, no harm done. It is very important for some people to believe they have “the best” and trying to convince them otherwise is a waste of time.