Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

To run stable a vlf needs to have the ground balance range to suite the salt in order to work in the salt. Most land machines will fail without that range. I would assume that a simultaneous multi frequency would have the same issue and why they have a beach mode on them just as the Kruzer, Amphibio, MX Sport, Orx etc do. Without good ground balance control and that range suited for salt the machine will just false like crazy as it aproaches the wet.

For the machine choices in this topic the Nox 600 is a safe choice followed by the apex or even one of the Kruzers. The Kruzers have a difficult audio and are tricky to tame in tough conditions so I would say Apex would be easier in that sense.

I do pretty well in the salt with my Multi Kruzer but if I was new in the game and didn't know what was going on I would be frustrated with the machine.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

First of all, welcome to the forum Cap!! You found a great place to seek detector advice, as clearly shows in all the previous posts!! Did you ever post in the Meet and Greet section?? What part of Florida are you in??

I don't know how I missed this post, but boy, it was highly educational, an entertaining!!???

If parts of this post could be put into music, I would say it was the "dueling banjos" theme from "Delerverence"!!??

I'm done here!?

Cap!!, what detector did you end up buying???

Now I'm really done here!!???

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Joe D. said:

First of all, welcome to the forum Cap!! You found a great place to seek detector advice, as clearly shows in all the previous posts!! Did you ever post in the Meet and Greet section?? What part of Florida are you in??

I don't know how I missed this post, but boy, it was highly educational, an entertaining!!???

If this post could be put into music, I would say it was the "dueling banjos" theme from "Delerverence"!!??

I'm done here!?

Wow.  Not this old thread.  Got a little contentious there at the end.  Capt never came back to the site after May 17, so resurrecting this thread 3 mos later may or may not result in a response, but I am curious too what he ended up picking.

Since you resurrected this, Joe, I wanted to address a technical point that KAC made, quoted below (better late than never, I guess):

On 5/17/2021 at 9:11 PM, kac said:

To run stable a vlf needs to have the ground balance range to suite the salt in order to work in the salt. Most land machines will fail without that range. I would assume that a simultaneous multi frequency would have the same issue and why they have a beach mode on them just as the Kruzer, Amphibio, MX Sport, Orx etc do. Without good ground balance control and that range suited for salt the machine will just false like crazy as it aproaches the wet.

Regarding simultaneous multi frequency and salt balance - the advantage that simultaneous MF brings is that it can more easily identify the salt response of the "ground" by seeing how it responds to the different frequencies and that combined with adjusting transmit power (in the case of Equinox, at least) in the beach modes is what primarily drives stability in salt combined with ground detection tracking (when salt and black sand levels are constantly varying, such as in surf conitions) are what the SMF "beach modes" or "salt modes" bring to the table.  From what I can tell, the APEX and even the Vanquish are not quite as sophisticated as Equinox in this regard, but still seem to provide superior salt performance vs. single frequency and selectable single frequency machines.  With the exception of perhaps the Tarsacci's separate, sophisticated "salt balance" control (which rivals SMF salt stability), most single frequency or selectable single frequency VLF detectors simply extend the GB range of adjustment to account for salt.  This improves the situation but really can't come close to the stability and performance of SMF or the Tarsacci, which are in a different league.  HTH.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Joe D. said:

If this post could be put into music, I would say it was the "dueling banjos" theme from "Delerverence"!!??

I'm done here!?

I have not bought yet. I have some financial engagements that take priority right now.

I had to out this on the "back burner" for right now. I will probably wind up with a NOX. probably will not be until next spring.

Does anyone know anything about Garret Multi flex? I might have addressed this earlier. Been a minute....

• Like 1

CAPT - welcome back!

18 minutes ago, Captorofsin said:

Ace Apex has Multi flex, right?

Nox vs Apex

Yes.  The Garrett version of multi frequency is called Multi Flex on the Ace Apex, it also refers to the fact that the Apex (like Equinox) has the ability to operate in multiple selectable single frequency modes which I think is a great feature.   I don't think you can go wrong with either, the Apex or the Equinox but the additional price of the Equinox machines reflects their value in versatility and capability since they incorporate the refinement of multiple generations of Minelab simultaneous multifrequency technology innovations vs. Garrett's first attempt at SMF and they have higher responsiveness than the Apex which gives them an edge when hunting in high junk target density environments.

Don't get too caught up in the fancy marketing speak - MultiFlex and Multi IQ is just tech sounding marketing buzz for Simultaneous MultiFrequency and doesn't really tell you anything about capability or performance of one versus the other.  Good luck and let us know if you have more questions and how you are getting along once you get that new detector next spring.

• Like 4

Glad to see your back Cap! 

Like I said, this post was new to me, and I liked (most all) of the content very much! 

It's not that often that someone new gets as much information as you did in your request! And sometimes, that can be intimidating to a new poster! Especially when someone takes a hard line in the discussion! I wanted to lighten the mood a bit, and find out what was the outcome of your decision, since I somehow missed your original post for a few months!

No big deal, about not buying anything yet! Has happened to all of us! Stuff happens, and money needs to be reallocated for more important things!

That does not have to stop you from continuing to research, as new detectors are being released almost every year! ☆☆☆And don't forget the used market!! People here, and elsewhere, are constantly selling great used equipment! Which can be a much cheaper entry into what you may want! For example, look at our classifieds right now!?  I almost exclusively, buy used now!!

I wish you much luck?, and hope that you won't be a stranger here on the forum!!??

And we still don't know what part of Florida your in, if you care to share!! I'm here too, so nice to hear from another, in the Sunburn State!!??

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Captorofsin said:

Ace Apex has Multi flex, right?

Nox vs Apex

Ace Apex works incredibly well here with high trash areas and handles iron very well. It is splash proof but handles the salt like a champ. With that being said If you plan on wading at all then the Nox 600 might be the better choise but keep in mind any machine that the control box gets submerged you will need wired water proof headphones to go with it as you will lose signal with wireless. So plan on that in your budget. Nox 600 should be a deeper machine than the Apex as it has a much wider coil.

For single frequency machines if your in that market there is a much wider group of machines to look at from the Simplex + to the Makro Kurzer / Multi Kruzer.

• Like 3

On 5/17/2021 at 7:41 AM, F350Platinum said:

The Equinox goes from 5-40 Khz when in MultiIQ, both the 600 and the 800 do. Single selectable frequencies are limited on the 600, 15 Khz is as high as it goes. With update 3 they added 4 Khz.

The equinox go from 5-40khz 

Or 

5-15khz