Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

16 minutes ago, Geotech said:

I wish I weren't the only person at FTP reading this thread.

You know, the fact that you're saying that is very telling.

I would imagine all of the major metal detecting companies would monitor the major hobby message boards to see what people are saying about them. Sure, it's not going to be a perfect representation of their customer-base, but it'll at least give some insight, especially among the more hardcore customers and hobbyists.

24 minutes ago, Geotech said:

I wish I weren't the only person at FTP reading this thread.

Print it and stick in anonymously up on the wall in the lunch room or slip it under the king kahunas door ?

A lot of what they could have done to the F75/T2 was done to the Simplex.  Nokta have done a great job of taking old technology and modernizing it with their detectors, they've started a rather successful detecting business by doing just that, all those sales could have been First Texas sales.  I even consider my Simplex a modern T2.

• Like 1

I could be wrong, but it seems that most metal detector personnel, if they pay attention to customers/potential customers at all these days, it is on social media fan pages. If you look at their social media, by and large they are not getting the feedback they would be here. They are getting posts that tell them how great they are, but few people if any pop up to offer criticism. When they do it is not very constructive. It is usually rude, belligerent, inarticulate and easily waved off as a disgruntled exception to the rule. Not only that, but the keepers of the gate will jump all over you on their behalf. Whites also went down this road. The idea that they were becoming an outdated brand was a forum perception that didn’t align with their social media feedback where a lot of people are of the opinion that if it doesn’t have a big battery pack under the arm it’s not powerful, and other misnomers. 

• Like 3

Nokta Makro seems to be the only one to watch the forums as to what people are saying.

25 minutes ago, Rick N. MI said:

Nokta Makro seems to be the only one to watch the forums as to what people are saying.

And it is paying off big time. I often wonder what other companies attribute this to, if not customer feedback/requests. 

And Nokta Makro asked us what we would like to see in there new mf detector. I'm looking forward to this one, and Garrett's, and hopefully FT. 

I don't know of any other detector manufacturer to ask this.

12 hours ago, phrunt said:

In most parts of the world they only exist as cheap clones as they've been on the market so long they're easy targets to duplicate.

Good post overall, but this is an especially salient point. The clones and imitations are growing and thriving despite the vigilance. Until I really combed through YouTube and other places, I didn’t realize how much. 

Just now, ☠ Cipher said:

Good post overall, but this is an especially salient point. The clones and imitations are growing and thriving despite the vigilance. Until I really combed through YouTube and other places, I didn’t realize how much. 

Yes, I am 100% confident more clones are sold worldwide than the real thing by a significant margin. Sellers have 9999+ units in stock of fakes, name one dealer of the genuine article that holds those numbers? ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rick N. MI said:

I know a year or two ago, I believe it was Garrett that posted a survey on one of the major metal detecting message boards asking for feedback about a new product.

That's not the same as monitoring what people are saying about you online, but given Garrett's online marketing abilities, I'd imagine they're doing just that.