Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

June 5   1937

John eventually gave the all clear with three shots and came back down to camp. He said he had found a dead body up at the edge of the woods. Evidently when we all sprayed rounds up there someone had struck him and killed him. John brought the man’s rifle down with him. He said the thug was one of the foreign buyers. This is what we had all feared. Now we knew they intended to get their money back and most likely knew we had more treasure as well.

It was soon to be daylight by now and we kept a close watch until the sun came up. There were no further troubles and we buried the body. The dead man had no identification on him. As far as we were concerned he was just another hooligan who had come up against our crew and met his match. We never looked for trouble but were becoming experts at handling it.

After breakfast Hudson took watch on the high ground post and John got the tom ready to wash gravels. Will and I went up to the dig site. We got a good trench going into the last area we had worked before all the treasure hunting had started. It felt mighty good to be digging again. Will was nearly all healed up but I told him to just work slow and ease into the labor over the next week. We were in no hurry. I planned to be here until snow fell in late Fall.

We ended the day with only 110 buckets but the test pans all showed good gold and it looked to be coarse.

TO BE CONTINUED ................

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh my! 1

June 6   1937

We did a weigh this morning. It was the first in over a week and we got one ounce. It was good to see gold back in the pan and I felt confident that we would produce a great amount from our new location. We just need to get back on track and stay with it. It is going to be much harder now that Sarge and Ben are not with us but I can’t blame them for leaving. We are playing a dangerous game where the losers can die. I will not be run off my claim by thugs and if they want a fight they will get one.

Will and I went up to the dig site bright and early. We worked at a steady pace and carved a nice channel into the bottom of the mountain. My plan is to drive a drift in and work it to the west along the base of the hill. That way we are staying at or near country rock and should not need much timbering for support. The gravels here are solid and stable and the channel rock is rounded but not large enough to cause us much trouble. Once we get a good start we should be able to make hay. 

Will drives the truck down to the tom when we have a load of buckets on it. Then he brings the empties back after dumping them on John’s big hopper he built. John feeds the gravel into the tom by shovel and sometimes bucket work. The creek is flowing good and we are mining. Today we ended with 155 buckets. I think we will slowly pick up the pace now.

TO BE CONTINUED ................

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh my! 1

So there is Will, John and Hudson plus the guy doing the talking. Forgot his name. Not enough men to safely operate up there. Need at least two men on guard at all times. Time to find more help and the sooner the better.

1 hour ago, Bedrocker said:

So there is Will, John and Hudson plus the guy doing the talking. Forgot his name. Not enough men to safely operate up there. Need at least two men on guard at all times. Time to find more help and the sooner the better.

Jacob is talking. He is Jed's younger brother. Jed was murdered at end of season one. There, all caught up now LOL.

June 7   1937     Part One

This morning was a great weigh with three ounces to put in the jar. The gold along the base of the mountain near country rock is producing a constant supply of gold. This is what we all want to see. There is nothing like gold. Since the crew has worked so hard and we are all rolling in money from our treasure find I called a quick meeting this morning before work started. I asked the crew if they thought we should hire more people to work as security and also some to work as miners. No one seemed to want to bring in any new people. I reminded them that we are very low on security and at risk out here. John said it might be good to hire a big security crew but wasn’t sure how we would find trustworthy people. We had been able to count on Sarge and Ben. I told the crew I was going into town this afternoon to see if I could find some people to interview for security guards.

Will and I went up to the hill and dug until about 2:00 in the afternoon. We got 70 buckets down to the tom. Then John and I took the truck into town leaving the rest of the crew at camp. We were on a lonely section of the road when I noticed a big car coming up at a fast clip from behind. I slowed the truck and pulled off towards the shoulder and waved him past as he seemed to be in a hurry but the car slowed down and wouldn’t pass. I asked John what all this was about. He had the BAR with him and I had one of the Thompsons. We also were wearing our 45’s. 

As I continued to slow the truck down the car came along side of us. It was a black Cadillac sedan with four men inside. I got a look at the driver but didn’t recognize him. They were staring right at us. I continued to slow down and wave them past but they just slowed down with me.

TO BE CONTINUED ...............

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 2

3 hours ago, GhostMiner said:

Jacob is talking. He is Jed's younger brother. Jed was murdered at end of season one. There, all caught up now LOL.

Yeah I knew it was Jed's brother doing the talking. But easy to forget his name when he is the one always doing the talking.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bedrocker said:

Yeah I knew it was Jed's brother doing the talking. But easy to forget his name when he is the one always doing the talking.

As long as i don't forget it we are good LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, GhostMiner said:

June 7   1937     Part One

This morning was a great weigh with three ounces to put in the jar. The gold along the base of the mountain near country rock is producing a constant supply of gold. This is what we all want to see. There is nothing like gold. Since the crew has worked so hard and we are all rolling in money from our treasure find I called a quick meeting this morning before work started. I asked the crew if they thought we should hire more people to work as security and also some to work as miners. No one seemed to want to bring in any new people. I reminded them that we are very low on security and at risk out here. John said it might be good to hire a big security crew but wasn’t sure how we would find trustworthy people. We had been able to count on Sarge and Ben. I told the crew I was going into town this afternoon to see if I could find some people to interview for security guards.

Will and I went up to the hill and dug until about 2:00 in the afternoon. We got 70 buckets down to the tom. Then John and I took the truck into town leaving the rest of the crew at camp. We were on a lonely section of the road when I noticed a big car coming up at a fast clip from behind. I slowed the truck and pulled off towards the shoulder and waved him past as he seemed to be in a hurry but the car slowed down and wouldn’t pass. I asked John what all this was about. He had the BAR with him and I had one of the Thompsons. We also were wearing our 45’s. 

As I continued to slow the truck down the car came along side of us. It was a black Cadillac sedan with four men inside. I got a look at the driver but didn’t recognize him. They were staring right at us. I continued to slow down and wave them past but they just slowed down with me.

TO BE CONTINUED ...............

So I leaned back in my seat as John rested the barrel of his BAR on my window sill and proceeded to remodel the top of that Cadillac. Right?

27 minutes ago, Bedrocker said:

So I leaned back in my seat as John rested the barrel of his BAR on my window sill and proceeded to remodel the top of that Cadillac. Right?

Who knows who these guys might be. 

• Like 1