** Lost Gold At The Dead Man's Mine ** A Miners Journal **

June 29   1937     Part One

This morning at breakfast John and I did some talking. I told him that I figured Will and Hudson had been kidnapped. I told him it had to be someone they knew and were taken by complete surprise. Otherwise, they would have put up one hell of a fight and there would have been shell casings everywhere. I went on to say that the camp was ransacked because the thugs were looking for gold and treasure but it was too well hidden for anyone to ever find it. I figured they’d be back at some point to look again and if we were in their way they would kidnap or kill us as well. I told John I had a strong suspicion of who the thugs were and possibly where Will and Hudson might have been taken. John looked at me and told me to continue.

TO BE CONTINUED ...........

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh my! 1

The deputies were the only ones that knew Dan & Hudson were alone at the camp while the other two were in town.

The deputies also said not to ask what happened to the gang, the sheriff & the judge. They could still be alive for all the crew know. That's odd too. If the crew had their way & delt to the filth they would know they were no longer a threat. The deputies are suspect.

D4G 

30 minutes ago, dig4gold said:

The deputies were the only ones that knew Dan & Hudson were alone at the camp while the other two were in town.

The deputies also said not to ask what happened to the gang, the sheriff & the judge. They could still be alive for all the crew know. That's odd too. If the crew had their way & delt to the filth they would know they were no longer a threat. The deputies are suspect.

D4G 

I think you mean Will & Hudson. Dan is one of the deputies. Yes, The law dogs are looking suspicious.

3 minutes ago, dig4gold said:

Yes, sorry. Messed that up. 🙄

D4G

No worries LOL. Even I get them confused sometimes. Merry Christmas!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Took a break from the weather today and hopefully get back to the journal. Here's an 11 min video of what Christmas was like up here on Lake Erie. 

• Oh my! 1

On 8/7/2022 at 6:19 AM, GhostMiner said:

April 29   1937

We were all anxious to see the results of the weigh. After breakfast we went over to John’s work station and  John placed yesterday’s results on the scale. There was half an ounce which wasn’t too bad for 120 buckets. Not the glory days of last year but at least it held promise. We went back up to the dig site and told John we’d have some buckets down to him in short order. We were all hungry for gold and ready to work. 

The three of us were getting a good channel going into the base of the hill. The problem will be that when we get in deeper we will need to brace the top to keep it from collapsing or we could just keep cutting laterally across the face without going in to the point of collapse. My way of thinking is that if the gold gets better the deeper in we go then we will cut bracing. We will be ok for a few days and will cross that bridge when we get to it. 

We had buckets delivered down to John right quick and were building up a head of steam with the picks and shovels. It just felt good to be digging. Along about the third hour I noticed a color change in the gravels from brown to dark brown or dark red. I took a pan of this over to the wash tub and worked it down. I hollered over to Will and Hudson and they came over to get a look. Sitting there in the pan were seven nice pickers and a load of fines. This was rich. I told the boys that now we knew what we needed to follow into that mountain. I had a feeling that Whiskey Jack and Jed  were looking down on that pan with a smile and saying to go after it boys.

We worked until dark and ended our day’s dig with 312 buckets.  When we got down to camp John said he was seeing lots of gold in the sluice. We were talking about the new dig site until we hit the sack. I can’t wait to get the results from John tomorrow morning. 

TO BE CONTINUED .....................

As a sniper, as the clay or decaying bed rock in a crevice gets darker as you go down, your heart rate goes up.

• Like 3

June 29   1937     Part Two

I told John that I suspected Deputy Luther and possibly deputy Dan was also involved. Will & Hudson knew them and may have been taken off guard by one or both of them. They may have had others with them. They knew we had rich gold deposits. They had helped us get rid of the sheriff and judge and now had free reign of the county. I think Will and Hudson were easy victims and we were next on their schedule.  The only thing I could think to do  was to confront them and find out what was what. It would need to be a surprise to them. John said that we should contact them and offer them another bonus to help speed up the investigation of our partner's disappearance. Then we would have the upper hand of surprise. We decided to make a trip back into town.There was no time to waste and we needed to rescue Will and Hudson if they were still alive. 

TO BE CONTINUED ....................

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh my! 1