Our Predicament

mn90403

I'd like to add, that enough times to keep me looking, while I've been stream fishing, I've spotted some great panning/sluicing spots, as fish and gold like to drop out of the current in similar places. The fish of course do it to get out of the fast current to allow them to ambush food as it zips by and to conserve their energy in the quiet water as they wait for the next opportunity to ambush a snack.

Great quote, thanks for posting it, and all the best,

Lanny

15 hours ago, Lanny said:

I'd like to add, that enough times to keep me looking, while I've been fishing, I've spotted some great panning/sluicing spots, as fish and gold like to drop out of the current in similar places. The fish of course do it to get out of the fast current to allow them to ambush food as it zips by and to conserve their energy in the quiet water as they wait for the next opportunity to ambush a snack.

Great quote, thanks for posting it, and all the best,

Lanny

Lanny, the location similarity of gold and fish you mention is very true. They travel much of the same route while on the move as well, but in the opposite direction. 

A few years ago I monitored a couple Didson Sonar units for a fish counting operation here on the Smith River of Northern California. The salmon and steelhead took definite paths upstream along a zone at the edge of the slower and faster current where gold would settle out of high water. The fish would adjust their route with the river rising or falling.

This can also be observed when fishing this river as it clears. The fish often go from an inside bend, in a general diagonal path across the straighter section, to the next inside bend, much how gold can travel at flood stage.

Here’s a nice steelhead I caught on the Smith this season.

Mike

173255FD-F0DF-4CF0-812B-D61331C2FFA9.jpeg

Lanny, I'm sure your talking about stream fishing, I agree completely, I've noticed the same thing. 

1 hour ago, MSC said:

Lanny, I'm sure your talking about stream fishing, I agree completely, I've noticed the same thing. 

Yes, I hardly ever fish lakes, but I've gone back to edit my original post to clear things up.

Thanks for noticing, and all the best,

Lanny