Deus 2 13x11 Coil

zdsdead

At this point I am about 20 hours in on the 11 x 13 coil. Here are some first impressions:

Pros:

* Coverage is enormous compared to the 9" coil. It doesn't detect just under the coil, there seems to be a significant halo around it as well. It gets my shovel every swing unless I drag it behind me. I found two silvers that rang from outside the area covered by the coil (and, to be fair, many beer cans)

* Whatever problems existed with drooping appear to have been addressed, or are yet to appear. No noticeable drooping. 

* There seems to be a significant depth advantage over the 9" coil. I haven't verified this yet on an actual deep target, but air tests seem to indicate it. 

* Doesn't seem to be a lot more affected by EMI than the 9" coil. 

Cons (none unexpected): 

* Compared to the 9", it weighs a ton. Swinging it for a couple of hours is a workout.

* it's not great in dense undergrowth. 

Overall impression: I love it and think it's definitely worth it if you have the 9" coil. 

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, SwiftSword said:

At this point I am about 20 hours in on the 11 x 13 coil. Here are some first impressions:

Pros:

* Coverage is enormous compared to the 9" coil. It doesn't detect just under the coil, there seems to be a significant halo around it as well. It gets my shovel every swing unless I drag it behind me. I found two silvers that rang from outside the area covered by the coil (and, to be fair, many beer cans)

* Whatever problem existed with drooping appear to have been addressed, or are yet to appear. No noticeable drooping. 

* There seems to be a significant depth advantage over the 9" coil. I haven't verified this yet on an actual deep target, but air tests seem to indicate it. 

* Doesn't seem to be a lot more affected by EMI than the 9" coil. 

Cons (none unexpected): 

* Compared to the 9", it weighs a ton. Swinging it for a couple of hours is a workout.

* it's not great in dense undergrowth. 

Overall impression: I love it and think it's definitely worth it if you have the 9" coil. 

Congrats on getting the 13x11, SS. 👍 I've gotten quite used to its weight so now swinging the 9" feels weird if I put it on the SteveG carbon fiber shaft. For the most part I use the 9" on the WS6 Master. If you have the whole kit you should get a second shaft.

I always keep my shovel on my shoulder so I never have a problem with that, but it was detecting the brass rivets in the one knee pad I wear, so I bought a Velcro attached knee pad. 😀

Since it doesn't weigh much more than the 11" I appreciate the excellent coverage and can't wait to use it at the beach in a couple weeks.

Great review, spot on with every observation.

• Like 4

ive found my 13" coil is much more susceptible to EMI. i cant run it in the dirt above 85 sens. i can run my 9" coil to 94 or 95 sens in the same situations.

luckily even with 85 sens it still goes as deep / deeper than the 9" and has way more coverage.

• Like 1