Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

New Legend Coils And Update

A lot of things can be different like the type of target, sensitivity settings (at 20) and so. But I was also surprised to see this result. So I'm interested to see what results you'll get.

8 minutes ago, HerrUU said:

A lot of things can be different like the type of target, sensitivity settings (at 20) and so. But I was also surprised to see this result. So I'm interested to see what results you'll get.

Well I'll be damned.

I did indeed remember incorrectly, because I just did an air test, and yes, the difference was about 4". That was an eye opener for me.

Thanks Herr. I'm going to take that into account and likely won't run as high as a recovery speed as I normally do in trashy sites. I normally run 8, but I think I'll end up dropping that to 5 once I also compare the separation ability.

• Like 1

As I understand it, Filtering is how the signal is demodulated/processed by the detector. What parts of the signal are enhanced or suppressed as in Park has less favor for lower conductor Aluminum/Foil range targets & Field less affinity for small ferrous. Beach to be less effected by the low conductive salt.

As far as Recovery Speed effect on depth, there is a noticeable difference at the upper (8-10) end. On the flipside, I have not noticed a big difference between 3-1. The difference is in the optimal swing speed at these lower recovery settings. 1 requires a VERY slow sweep or it will miss DEEP targets. 2 is not near as finicky, 3 is almost as deep as 1. Targets at medium depth are much more forgiving. This is a for cleaner ground that has low mineralization.  When you get into more mineralized ground the Recovery setting has to be increased a good bit or you will miss targets. 6-7 seems optimal for my sites so far. There is still a lot to learn in this high mineral setup as everything(frequency choice, recovery, sensitivity, ground balance) has to be right, hot ground is not very forgiving if targets are over 4" deep.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JCR said:

1 requires a VERY slow sweep or it will miss DEEP targets. 2 is not near as finicky, 3 is almost as deep as 1.

I ended up with 3 - 4 being the "sweet spot" where I only lost a few cm but as you say, the swing speed was a lot better. It's not all about depth after all ?

• Like 1

For me, it is all site dependent.

I completely agree that separation is the priority in trashy sites, with depth not really much of a concern. BUT, I always agreed to that because I was under the erroneous impression that the depth differential with the recovery speed was only about a measly 1". Given that it's more like a drastic 4", then in trashy sites, I'm thinking I'll run 3-5 and slow down a little more.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JCR said:

For me, it is all site dependent.

For me too, unfortunately the weather has been so bad recently that I didn't get much opportunity to go hunt in the field. Normally we go hunting on fields that have been harvested and where you can swing pretty close to the ground however a few days ago, we went out on a pasture with the grass being a bit tall. This was something completely different to search on. Here the depth was an issue because we were swinging our detectors approximately 10 - 15 cm above solid ground. But still the Legend performed ?

Another thing is the luck factor. You need a bit of luck to swing your detector over a target. No matter how good the detector is, if there's nothing in the ground, you'll do a lot of swinging and very little finding ?

• Like 2

Ordered my new coil for the legend today, the 9.5 * 6" version. Normally I should receive it this weekend so I'll be testing it on sunday. 

• Like 2