900 Vs Manticore -help?

TroyLPN

2 hours ago, canslawhero said:

but TomD stated the Wantacore was a 2 generational leap! lol. I seemed to have missed that you actually had input into the Manticore. and yes 'Retirement' is and has been grand for myself also.

Yeah let’s just write this all down now. Take Tom’s 2 generational leap versus my incremental step, write it down, and check back in a year. Let’s see who was closer. :smile:

Hey, it’s a great detector! The problem is not that it is not, it’s that trying to better the Equinox is no small chore. I’ve said repeatedly that anyone that likes their Nox should love the Manticore. I’d just that I would like people to like it actually, and over the top statements setting excessive expectations do nothing to help that.

For those that wonder why I’ve been quiet, truth is there are more than enough people pumping this product. I decided to work on Axiom and with a U.S. manufacturer for a change, hoping to put a little air in the home teams sails. Minelab does not need my help as much as Garrett, so I have focused my efforts there instead.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, canslawhero said:

he could have parked all the deposits at a crypto bank, say Celsius Network or FTX, lol

I asked MineLab if they've ever had a dealer skip town with thousands in pre-payment loot.  I think that might have been the question that got my refund rolling. 😅

2 hours ago, TroyLPN said:

I asked MineLab if they've ever had a dealer skip town with thousands in pre-payment loot.  I think that might have been the question that got my refund rolling. 😅

Good work.  Believe me, that crossed my mind, too, regarding my dealer.  If they get a couple hundred orders then we are talking some money.  People have been tempted with less.

I would think Minelab, knowing how long it takes to bring a detector to the marketplace after announcement would tell dealers they can't take more than a $50 deposit for an out-of-stock Minelab detector.

3 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Same for me and that first 150 to 200 hours was with iron audio ON. If I had just hunted with iron audio OFF (using Nox 600/800 default discrimination patterns) I still wouldn't have a clue about what was iron or not.............

Hated Equinox first couple of times out.  I forced myself to use Equinox exclusively for six months no matter what.  No going back to my Deus security blanket.  The result was a thorough understanding of what Deus and Equinox did well and what they didn't do well and how they complimented each other.  Fast Forward to Deus 2, same drill.  Now I'm ready to see how the 900 compliments D2.

2 hours ago, vive equinox said:

however, audio is very important, is the manticore better than 900 in audio?

Perhaps but ML did add continuous pitch audio as an option for all modes on 700/900 (No longer limited to just gold mode, like on the 800).  That was the feature that sold it for me because it's basically what I run on the D2.

Better yet , why buy a 900 when you already own an 800? It really makes no sense to upgrade if you’re doing it in such tiny increments IMO. Are you going to sell your 800? If you are you can expect to get about $600 if you’re lucky. 

17 minutes ago, FFX2 said:

Better yet , why buy a 900 when you already own an 800? It really makes no sense to upgrade if you’re doing it in such tiny increments IMO. Are you going to sell your 800? If you are you can expect to get about $600 if you’re lucky. 

I’ve been incrementally upgrading detectors for 50 years now. Small steps each time that has added up to revolutionary in total. But to answer your question directly, just the expanded target id range alone would be worth the upgrade from 800 to 900 for me. That’s the biggie really, and whether it’s 900 or Manticore I’d be happy either way.

3 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I’ve been incrementally upgrading detectors for 50 years now. Small steps each time that has added up to revolutionary in total. But to answer your question directly, just the expanded target id range alone would be worth the upgrade from 800 to 900 for me. That’s the biggie really, and whether it’s 900 or Manticore I’d be happy either way.

The ID range on the 800 is very frustrating and actually one of the reasons I got rid of mine. 

2-3 years ago I heard that there was a new CTX3030 in the works. Since you’re a guy that has apparently worked for Minelab, Is the Manticore the new 3030?

7 minutes ago, FFX2 said:

2-3 years ago I heard that there was a new CTX3030 in the works. Since you’re a guy that has apparently worked for Minelab, Is the Manticore the new 3030?

He who work for Minelab speak with forked tongue due to prosecutable NDA.  :biggrin:

15 minutes ago, FFX2 said:

The ID range on the 800 is very frustrating and actually one of the reasons I got rid of mine. 

The Manticore directly replaces the E-Trac, which was discontinued in the last year to make way for it. One could make the case that for many people the Manticore is better than the CTX 3030, just like for me the Equinox 800 was a better choice than the my CTX 3030, which I sold immediately on laying hands on the Equinox. The Manticore splits that hair even finer. The CTX 3030 however still remains in the lineup as Minelab's flagship model, and will until something replaces it. Don't hold your breath.