900 Vs Manticore -help?

TroyLPN

7 hours ago, PSPR said:

Strick, this isn't drama.  :laugh:  CD should try some of the other things NASA-tom suggested to see how much they mitigate the problem.  CD is going over the top a bit, but the Manticore manual shows some of these exact traces to unmask hidden good targets.  Believe what you want, though.

Yea I gotta quit watching his videos. He Poo pooed the ctx here a long time ago without ever owning one. He found one earring back on the beach and started calling the deus 2 a micro jewelry machine..I guess nail falsing is a new discovery now 😁

strick

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, PSPR said:

.... Second, I am more of a visual information processor than a tone processor.  So, the TT screen will be very important to me when processing a dig/no-dig decision.  ...

I dont know your detecting experience but after 25 years of detecting experience I can tell you that the human ear is a very sophisticated and accurate device 🙂 ...  Probably much more sophisticated than any visual digital display for analyzing a target ... as long as the detector has a ( very ) good audio 

I currently use a Deus2 WS6 master without any front display ...    I just need the WS6 headphones mini display when I start - stop the detector , and when I try different settings on my bed tests , but I rarely need to use it or even look at it when I am in the field ...

I agree that VDIs are a useful info but over here in Europe we have hundreds of coin types ranging from 0,5 to 30g since the Celtic Roman ages to the modern times , then all conductivities can be good targets , except perhaps the very low ones like foils ...   Then no real need for me to see the VDIs .. 

Well, I finally got a straight answer out of that dealer on the 3rd try. Number 35?  And I pre-paid in October? That doesn't sound quite right, but whatever. 

I just emailed him a request to cancel.  No reply as of yet. I guess 2 months is too long to dispute a charge with my bank if I don't get a refund? I will NEVER prepay for a detector again, lesson learned!

5 hours ago, strick said:

Yea I gotta quit watching his videos. He Poo pooed the ctx here a long time ago without ever owning one. He found one earring back on the beach and started calling the deus 2 a micro jewelry machine..I guess nail falsing is a new discovery now 😁

strick

Can't blame you there, strick.  I haven't watched his videos that long but he can get very abrasive at times.

As far as the falsing on the Manticore, after sleeping on that, I think in heavy iron one needs to only dig targets that are separated from the iron signals.  In nearly all good target cases there is that separation.  Also, you can investigate further by increasing the recovery number to see if you can separate the iron trace from a possible target.  If not, just don't dig.  This flies in the face of a bit of info in the Manticore manual but if it works.......

34 minutes ago, TroyLPN said:

I just emailed him a request to cancel.  No reply as of yet. I guess 2 months is too long to dispute a charge with my bank if I don't get a refund? I will NEVER prepay for a detector again, lesson learned!

If he doesn't return your money (or ship you a Manticore) after you cancel that is called FRAUD.  Just contact the Attorney General's office in the state he is located in and they will talk to him.  That's usually enough to get your money back.

Of course, that is after you contact your CC company and trying to get them to act.  You can also mention it to Minelab Support and they will probably yank his dealership if he doesn't act.  I'm 99.999% sure you will get your money back without a big hassle.  His only legal way out of it is to declare bankruptcy but then he has much bigger problems than $1599.  But I wouldn't worry about it.  Just plan to take those steps if you don't see your refund.

I have never prepaid for a detector.  I don't know why anyone would. When I bought my boat, I had to order it and wait MONTHS for it to be built and we are talking something that costs $33,000 before taxes, and I didn't have to put a dime down ahead of time for it.  Same with my wife's new vehicle...the dealer didn't have one on the lot but ordered one for us.  No deposit necessary.  I don't get why some detector dealers will do that.  Mine just put people down on a list and will call or text when the units come in for payment.  

2 hours ago, palzynski said:

......the human ear is a very sophisticated and accurate device 🙂 ...  Probably much more sophisticated than any visual digital display for analyzing a target ... as long as the detector has a ( very ) good audio.....

That probably applies to most people but not to me.  I've always had problems even understanding what some people are saying to me.  It's like my ear-brain connection is faulty.  Hence, I've always been more of a visual person even though the ears are getting worse and so is the vision with age.  I can pass an ear test - no problem, so it must be somewhere in my processing of sounds that is faulty or weak.

6 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

You get two coils with the 900 subtract the retail cost of that coil ($175) or what you can actually get if you resold the coil (~$100 to $125) and you get a more apples to apples comprison of the detector cost delta which is more like $600+.  

Nice recovery, Chase.  :biggrin:  Good point.

55 minutes ago, Daniel Tn said:

I have never prepaid for a detector.  I don't know why anyone would. When I bought my boat, I had to order it and wait MONTHS for it to be built and we are talking something that costs $33,000 before taxes, and I didn't have to put a dime down ahead of time for it.  Same with my wife's new vehicle...the dealer didn't have one on the lot but ordered one for us.  No deposit necessary.  I don't get why some detector dealers will do that.  Mine just put people down on a list and will call or text when the units come in for payment.  

I usually don't but I didn't order until October and I mistakenly thought a pre-payment MIGHT put me a little closer to actually getting one.  Boy, was I wrong. Lesson learned and NEVER AGAIN.