900 Vs Manticore -help?

TroyLPN

1 hour ago, PSPR said:

If he doesn't return your money (or ship you a Manticore) after you cancel that is called FRAUD.  Just contact the Attorney General's office in the state he is located in and they will talk to him.  That's usually enough to get your money back.

Of course, that is after you contact your CC company and trying to get them to act.  You can also mention it to Minelab Support and they will probably yank his dealership if he doesn't act.  I'm 99.999% sure you will get your money back without a big hassle.  His only legal way out of it is to declare bankruptcy but then he has much bigger problems than $1599.  But I wouldn't worry about it.  Just plan to take those steps if you don't see your refund.

He's ignoring my phone calls too.  If he doesn't get back to me by 4 pm today I'll be calling my bank.  I used a debit card, but I guess it's kinda the same thing. 

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, PSPR said:

Can't blame you there, strick.  I haven't watched his videos that long but he can get very abrasive at times.

As far as the falsing on the Manticore, after sleeping on that, I think in heavy iron one needs to only dig targets that are separated from the iron signals.  In nearly all good target cases there is that separation.  Also, you can investigate further by increasing the recovery number to see if you can separate the iron trace from a possible target.  If not, just don't dig.  This flies in the face of a bit of info in the Manticore manual but if it works.......

Doesn't any kind of iron sound good if it's the right shape/deep enough and/or you hit it just right?  I know my 800 will make an iron nail with a round head sound pretty sweet if it's turned straight up in the sand.  I've dug a ton of them since the hurricane. Along with screws, washers, nuts, bolts, etc out of all those beach walkovers that got smashed.

33 minutes ago, TroyLPN said:

He's ignoring my phone calls too.  If he doesn't get back to me by 4 pm today I'll be calling my bank.  I used a debit card, but I guess it's kinda the same thing. 

The rules are different for debit cards.  It may be tougher for you to get them to act depending upon your bank.  Check your bank account balance online for a few days and if you don't see a refund call your bank.  Have your bank statement showing the charge and your refund request and wording online of the dealer saying refund upon request until the Manticore is shipped, all printed out so incase they ask what documentation says you can read it to them or send them a copy.  If they won't help, look up his state attorney general's office and give them a call or send them an email first.  They will be helpful.

Oh, and don't let your bank or the AG try to convince you this is a civil matter and you need to have an attorney sue him.  NO.  If you don't get a refund this is FRAUD plain and simple and authorities need to take action if your bank won't.

The AG's office main interest would be in investigating and prosecuting fraud, not getting your money back.  In doing so, they are putting pressure on the dealer to pay you back so he doesn't get prosecuted.  Everyone would rather refund the money than get prosecuted for fraud and serve a jail sentence.

Only under the absolute worst evolution of this would anything more than waiting for your refund or calling the bank to check your options be required.

On 12/18/2022 at 3:44 AM, midalake said:

There is good truth to what you are asking and thinking. One standout to maybe consider is gold chains. I did see a very impressive test where I know for a fact my 800 Equinox would have not even been close.
I find lots of chains and have more experience than most with this area. 
I hope to get a test done sometime soon on chains done with direct comparison to the Equinox. Until then I would keep eyeballing a few you tube vids for clues.  

I’d not put much store in that test or the conclusion.

10 minutes ago, PSPR said:

The rules are different for debit cards.  It may be tougher for you to get them to act depending upon your bank.  Check your bank account balance online for a few days and if you don't see a refund call your bank.  Have your bank statement showing the charge and your refund request and wording online of the dealer saying refund upon request until the Manticore is shipped, all printed out so incase they ask what documentation says you can read it to them or send them a copy.  If they won't help look up his state attorney general's office and give them a call or send them an email first.  They will be helpful.

Oh, and don't let your bank or the AG try to convince you this is a civil matter and you need to have an attorney sue him.  NO.  If you don't get a refund this is FRAUD plain and simple and authorities need to take action if your bank won't.

Let’s take the litigation elsewhere please.

15 hours ago, strick said:

This thread is a S@#t show. I've watched all his videos...CD clearly does not know north from south...he doesn't even circle the targets. It's like nail falsing is a new discovery for him.  PSPR enough drama please...

strick

Totally agree. Videos done in the rush to be first to YouTube are not being done with an eye to presenting accurate information. The goal is simply to be first so as to capture eyeballs. The detector and operator don’t need to know the device well, and this is a perfect example of that.

It’s just another metal detector folks. That’s it. It’s not going to change your life or magically double your finds. If that is what you care about, find better locations and put in more hours, or both. Those two things are what matters, location and hours. The latest magic wand? Not so much.

10 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

It’s just another metal detector folks. That’s it. It’s not going to change your life or magically double your finds.

I really would like to see a detector with a circular digger attached to the coil that would take a plug out remove the target and then put the plug back in the hole.  :biggrin:

10 minutes ago, PSPR said:

I really would like to see a detector with a circular digger attached to the coil that would take a plug out remove the target and then put the plug back in the hole.  :biggrin:

I actually did this in rock-hard dirt out west a few years ago.  You take a cordless drill and put one of those round saw auger things on it.  It worked pretty well except it only did a 2-3 inch plug and the battery ran down fairly quickly. 😁

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

.....find better locations and put in more hours, or both. Those two things are what matters, location and hours. The latest magic wand? Not so much.

If I go to the great locations I have found, Steve, they will arrest me!!  No permission necessary.  Just go straight to jail and they are now the proud owners of my my new detector!  :sad: