900 Vs Manticore -help?

TroyLPN

6 minutes ago, phrunt said:

I'm confident the Manticore will be better in just about every way over the Nox 900, there is a reason it costs more and it's not just the fancy screen and target trace.  If you're on the fence it's best not to get the 900 straight away and wait until actual user reports start slowly rolling in for both, that way you can make a more informed decision. 

Dealers are getting the run around from Minelab, they know about as much as we do when they'll get their order it seems. 

I ran into one of my buddies at the beach today and he basically said the same thing about the target trace etc. He doesn't think there's gonna be all that much difference between an 800 and a 900 and I'll be kicking myself when he's digging all the gold with his shiny new Manticore.  He knows me pretty well. 😁

I understand that my dealer doesn't know when he'll get them. I do wonder if he even knows who paid first or even cares. If he only gets in 5 of them is he gonna draw 5 names out of a hat?  Pick 5 names at random? WTH? 

Yeah, now that really I think about it, am I willing to settle for a 900 because that's what I really want or because I could (hopefully) get my money back and be done with this particular dealer?  Maybe I should just cancel with him and start over at the bottom of somebody else's list? 

Maybe I'm making too big of a deal of it.  Maybe he knows Minelab is gonna drop 100 of them in his lap next week so it doesn't really matter who pre-paid 1st or 21st.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, TroyLPN said:

I've been pre-paid in full on that Manticore order since October.  I'm guessing if I decide to go with the 900 and cancel I'll get a refund fairly quickly? It would really help if my dealer would tell me where I am on his list.  Every time I ask he tells me about his distributor...MineLab...hopefully this month, and so forth. I really feel like I'm getting the run-around from him.  Why can't he just tell me "there are x amount of people pre-paid ahead of you"?  Why is that so hard?  Truthfully, it's one reason I'm considering just cancelling it.

Tell your dealer you are thinking about cancelling your order because you feel you are way down the list.  That may make him divulge your position on the list.

4 minutes ago, PSPR said:

Tell your dealer you are thinking about cancelling your order because you feel you are way down the list.  That may make him divulge your position on the list.

I kinda feel like since he's had a big chunk of my cash since October that a straighforward answer to a simple question shouldn't be that difficult.  I just don't know how long it will take to get a refund.

I'm really nice to dealers who treat me right.  The guy who I bought my Nox from (I think he's retired now) probably sold dozens of them to Daytona Beach tourists.  It's way easier to hand them a business card and tell them to call that number than answer umpteen questions.  "Call this guy right here, he can tell you way more about it than I can!"

44 minutes ago, TroyLPN said:

Yeah, now that really I think about it, am I willing to settle for a 900 because that's what I really want or because I could (hopefully) get my money back and be done with this particular dealer?  Maybe I should just cancel with him and start over at the bottom of somebody else's list? 

One thing I’ve determined, at least as far as ML is concerned, is that no single dealer gets to corner the market on new detector inventory.  The ML distributors pretty much spread it around evenly regardless of the size of the Dealer’s pre-order list.  Plenty of dealers do not require even a deposit to get on their pre-order lists.  So as general principle, in this situation, any dealer who pre-charges in full (refundable or not) is out of consideration.  $1600 or so is a huge chunk of change to hand over to someone to have them collect the interest on for multiple months.  If a deposit is required, I get that but again that only favors the dealer and does not necessarily ensure a high spot in line.  I will call around to find a dealer who doesn’t have a long list and does not require any money to exchange hands until the time of shipment.  Plenty of dealers out there who do business this way.  I chose to sit this one out partly because I didn’t want to shop pre-order lists.  The 900 was an on the spot impulse buy.  FWIW.

From what I am seeing on line, I am not really seeing the $600 difference between 900 and Manticore in raw performance.  I like the Target Trace feature, but again, I can wait on that for a few reasons - one is I have a D2 already and the Equinox compliments it perfectly.  The 900 fixes all the flaws on the 800 and adds some performance enhancements.  I have a full suite of coils already and can sell that included 6” to further defray bottom line cost.  I think this is a worthwhile investment in an improved version of great detector and because of that a better overall value than Manticore for relic and beach hunting.  Pure coin shooting, edge Manticore.  Is $600 worth just an edge in one specific aspect of detecting? That’s something each detectorist needs to decide for themselves.  I’ve made my decision.

21 minutes ago, PSPR said:

I'm a little peeved at the dealer I pre-ordered from. I sent a private message asking nicely I'd like to know where I was on the list numerically. I mean surely he has one figured out at this point. I got a message back well you ordered on the first day and I'm not where I look right now. I emailed a couple of days ago and so far got no response back.

Is that not a simple question? Is that to much to ask?  

1 minute ago, longbow62 said:

I'm a little peeved at the dealer I pre-ordered from. I sent a private message asking nicely I'd like to know where I was on the list numerically. I mean surely he has one figured out at this point. I got a message back well you ordered on the first day and I'm not where I look right now. I emailed a couple of days ago and so far got no response back.

Is that not a simple question? Is that to much to ask?  

Sounds alot like we may have ordered from the same dealer.

I can wait till spring.  6,7,8 or nine  I dont think we are handicapped which ever you have and time is on my side weather wise.  After the 800 debacle i want to how the facts shake out a little more.

CD just put up his videos on the iron falsing.  The TT is definitely providing some faulty information in heavy iron sites.  Not having a Manicore to test myself, I can't say there isn't a way around this as recovery speed was set one notch higher than NASA-Tom suggested but from what is being shown, there is a problem with the TT in heavy iron.  This needs to be addressed a little more clearly by others with a Manticore.

I'm not going to link to his video given his history I've been made aware of at DP but if you want to see the two videos he posted today just check them out on youtube.

26 minutes ago, PSPR said:

CD just put up his videos on the iron falsing.  The TT is definitely providing some faulty information in heavy iron sites.  Not having a Manicore to test myself, I can't say there isn't a way around this as recovery speed was set one notch higher than NASA-Tom suggested but from what is being shown, there is a problem with the TT in heavy iron.  This needs to be addressed a little more clearly by others with a Manticore.

I'm not going to link to his video given his history I've been made aware of at DP but if you want to see the two videos he posted today just check them out on youtube.

Could this be why Minelab seems to have shut down any Manticore information/hype in the last few days? Could Minelab possibly be fixing this problem with the majority that haven't shipped yet with a software update?  I could see why they wouldn't want that information out there if this is the case.  Shipping delays because of a problem right out of the gate might not be a good selling point for them.

Or maybe alien space ships have beamed up all those container ships full of Manticores since they're too technologically advanced for mere earthlings like us. 😁

46 minutes ago, PSPR said:

It could be an issue, but he was running all terrain general. To me the Nox 800 had a falsing problem in Park1. Maybe not a problem but was way more prone to false than Park2. Heavy iron you run Park2 which my guess and only a guess is kinda like all terrain low conductors. I suggested he try it.