The Legend And Its Multi Frequency Modes

HerrUU

I'm starting to learn how the Legend works but one thing I wonder is on what frequencies the different Modes work (so M1, M2 and M3)? I thought they worked on all frequencies but I read that they only work with specific ones? Does anybody know what frequencies are used with what mode?

NM has not specified the actual frequencies or how they are weighted.  Goldfield Multi is the highest followed by M2.   M3 employs Conductive ground subtraction & seems to be weighted quite low. The Beach multis & M1 somewhere in-between. I suspect the Beach modes may use a reduced TX strength.  Anyway, fun to experiment with & speculate on. The new update that is due soon supposedly has some changes on frequency selections.

• Like 1

It's a pity that they don't specify them. After all, for a detectorist it can be handy to know what frequencies are working when he's detecting. For instance, is there a mode where all frequencies are used?

9 hours ago, HerrUU said:

It's a pity that they don't specify them. After all, for a detectorist it can be handy to know what frequencies are working when he's detecting. For instance, is there a mode where all frequencies are used?

Two or three frequencies at once is plenty. If you want them all....get a pulse induction detector.

Nokta gave some good information on page 9 of the manual. What JCR wrote above is correct too.

• Like 1

Two or three is fine by me 🙂 I'll have to figure out what mode to use when hunting, but that's part of the fun. As soon as the weather gets a bit better, I'm going to do some tests in my garden with the different multitones. But at the moment it's raining cats&dogs out here 😞

20 hours ago, HerrUU said:

I don't think any manufacturer specifies the exact frequencies, let alone the transmit power of each frequency. Although the more frequencies transmitted, along with maximum power for each frequency, would mean either much less battery life, or a big heavy battery. Is that why FBS and BBS detectors have large heavy batteries?

The lowest frequency SMF on the Legend is Beach Mode's MW. That's the SMF mode that is supposed to be duplicated for a Park SMF mode.

54 minutes ago, HerrUU said:

Two or three is fine by me 🙂 I'll have to figure out what mode to use when hunting, but that's part of the fun. As soon as the weather gets a bit better, I'm going to do some tests in my garden with the different multitones. But at the moment it's raining cats&dogs out here 😞

Read page 9 (page number for the English manual). 

Read it, did some tests in my kitchen too (for what they're worth) and it gave me more insight to work with.

A possible improvement for Nokta would be that somehow as a user you could create your own SMF. Imagine that you can select the frequencies for your own custom SMF. 🤔 Now there's something the competition does not have. 

I've been having better results lately using Park M3, but maybe that's just because my area started getting precipitation within the last month after three months of drought. Running in M3, I felt like I dug less junk and had even clearer/stronger signals on viable targets. Should also note I've been running in 60 tones, which I feel gives more information about what is in the ground.

That said, better results might not be so much due strictly to a particular SMF setting, and more associated with being a more experienced user with more hours on the machine itself. Regardless, I'm quite happy with it's performance!

*For background, my detecting "training area" is the local elementary school one of our kids attends. It was built in 1959, so theorectically has the potential for dropped silver. Haven't found any silver there yet, but a decent amount of clad, costume jewelry, and other odds and ends (like a one hitter pipe meant for cannabis consumption!)...with pencial erasers and their little metal bands being the bane of my existence.