Field Test Of Steveg's Cf Deus 2 Shaft, Headphones And Finds

F350Platinum

Looks like a well made product that is especially useful for the big coils. Nice job on the copper ring F350. I have been pleasantly surprised at how stable it is when running the low Recovery speeds and more than pleasantly surprised at the unmasking at the low Recovery speeds.

12 minutes ago, Lodge Scent said:

Looks like a well made product that is especially useful for the big coils. Nice job on the copper ring F350. I have been pleasantly surprised at how stable it is when running the low Recovery speeds and more than pleasantly surprised at the unmasking at the low Recovery speeds.

Thanks. That ring is probably 100 or more years old. 🙂 Wish there was an inscription, may carefully polish it up and see what I get. I'm pretty sure it's copper, but it was a 92 ID. 🤔

Using lower recovery is a risk, kinda flies in the face of popularity, maybe even science. 😀 For sure the Deus 2 is fast regardless of settings, so getting it to lock on takes a bit of inspection after a "blip", but it does so quickly. The idea is to follow down the "blips", and voila, there it is.

I wouldn't recommend it for extremely trashy areas.

That aside I was kinda disappointed with the higher recovery speed when I saw how many fewer targets I was hearing in a trashy spot. When I have more time I'll try it more. 🙂

3 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

That aside I was kinda disappointed with the higher recovery speed when I saw how many fewer targets I was hearing in a trashy spot. When I have more time I'll try it more. 🙂

Yep, I always hit the heavy iron spots at the cellar holes at least once with a very low Recovery speed. It does seem counterintuitive, I agree, but it sometimes takes that extra bit of "oomph" to hit a small or deeper target, on edge coin etc., nestled in amongst the iron. Hey here's an idea......maybe the next big breakthrough in metal detectors will be a Multi Reactivity unit. You heard it hear first ! 😀

Got my shaft a couple days ago and it's been too cold and windy to get out there ever since. It's a work of art I can't wait to get out there and swing it.  thanks for the tips about reactivity by the way!

35 minutes ago, Dcraun said:

Got my shaft a couple days ago and it's been too cold and windy to get out there ever since. It's a work of art I can't wait to get out there and swing it.  thanks for the tips about reactivity by the way!

Thanks, I'm not in any way a long-experienced detectorist, about 2 and a half years. I do get out a lot though, and have a lot of ground to cover. I try a lot of stuff!

Almost all the places I hunt are mild soil, literally no mineralization. Targets kinda jump out at ya. 😀 I've never dug anything interesting over 12" deep, and those things were large, a KG3 coin and a civil war bit boss come immediately to mind.

Try using 0 reactivity and when you find something, then crank it up to 2 or 3. You'll immediately see what I'm writing about, the target will get fainter or possibly even disappear.

I'm using pitch/full tones, set discrimination at zero, notch off. This gives you a huge range of audio that is very descriptive. I was a musician most of my life so this works best for me. 🙃 I also turn iron volume up to 4 so it doesn't get missed. If you have a trashy spot, you'll know it for sure, you might want to turn volume down 😀

This was a bad time and a good time of year for new stuff to come out, great because people tend to save for Christmas, but bad because winter. 😡 I feel for folks in the upper tiers, I'm here in the middle and while the weekend will suck, I'll be out again next week.

Just gotta get through this crap 🤣