Coiltek 15" With Equinox 900

hi there I'm just wondering if anyone is using the coiltek 15" with the equinox 900 .I've been using it every now and then but I'm still not convinced with the coil .the main trouble is it can be a bit noisey even with the sensitivity turned down to 17 .i have tried some settings that ive found on line but always end up going back to my stock 11 " coil which is alot more settled .any advice guys .thanks .

On 3/5/2023 at 20:26, scotty said:

hola, me pregunto si alguien está usando el coiltek 15" con el equinox 900. Lo he estado usando de vez en cuando, pero todavía no estoy convencido con la bobina. El principal problema es que puede ser un poco ruidoso incluso con la sensibilidad reducida a 17. Probé algunas configuraciones que encontré en línea, pero siempre termino volviendo a mi bobina original de 11 "que está mucho más establecida. Cualquier consejo, muchachos. Gracias.

Hi,I have that coil in a nox 800 and you have to adapt a bit, let me explain...

In the first place, and this cannot be changed, it will be noisier as it is bigger. Yes, but also deeper!.

You can't have both. Obviously, the precise localization will always be more difficult.

But, if you lower a sensitivity (which I see you've already done) and reduce the recovery speed, it will become a weapon of mass destruction...

I work in sensitivity ranges of 17-19 and recovery speed around 2-3.

You will have "longer" tones but serenity will return to your headphones...

That coil is terribly deep, and well built.

A little heavy (shorten the lower shaft a bit, you'll see how much better balanced it feels)...

1 minute ago, StarVatrex said:

hola, yo tengo esa bobina en un nox 800 y hay que adaptarla un poco, me explico...

En primer lugar, y esto no se puede cambiar, será más ruidoso cuanto más grande sea. Sí, ¡pero también más profundo!.

No puedes tener ambos. Obviamente, la localización precisa siempre será más difícil.

Pero, si le bajas una sensibilidad (cosa que veo que ya has hecho) y le bajas la velocidad de recuperación , se convertirá en un arma de destrucción masiva...

Trabajo en rangos de sensibilidad de 17-19 y velocidad de recuperación alrededor de 2-3.

Tendrás tonos "más largos" pero la serenidad volverá a tus auriculares...

Esa bobina es terriblemente profunda y está bien construida.

Un poco pesado (acorta un poco el eje inferior, verás que se siente mucho más equilibrado)...

Sorry, remember from Spain...

Hi, I have that coil in a nox 800 and you have to adapt it a bit, let me explain...

First of all, and this cannot be changed, it will be noisier the bigger it is. Yes, but also deeper!

You can't have both. Obviously, pinpointing will always be more difficult.

But, if you lower a sensitivity (which I see you've already done) and lower its recovery speed, it will become a weapon of mass destruction...

I work in sensitivity ranges of 17-19 and recovery speed around 2-3.

You will have "longer" tones but the serenity will return to your headphones...

That coil is terrifyingly deep and well built.

A little heavy (shorten the lower shaft a bit, you'll see that it feels much more balanced)...

On 5/3/2023 at 1:26 PM, scotty said:

hi there I'm just wondering if anyone is using the coiltek 15" with the equinox 900 .I've been using it every now and then but I'm still not convinced with the coil .the main trouble is it can be a bit noisey even with the sensitivity turned down to 17 .i have tried some settings that ive found on line but always end up going back to my stock 11 " coil which is alot more settled .any advice guys .thanks .

Larger coils are more sensitive to EMI and mineralization. In my experience I have to run a point or two less sensitivity as compared to a smaller coil. 

To see if it is EMI keep your coil several feet off the ground and see if it is still noisy.  If not, then minerals are the problem. 

Experiment with different IB and recovery speeds. Also try different detection modes.  A recovery and Iron Bias of 6 each might get you some more sensitivity. 

With larger coils the footprint is trying to punch through a larger area of ground conditions. This is why it seems to be more erratic and less stable. It really has nothing to do with the shielding or electronics of the coil. 

It is kind if like driving through fog with your high beams on. If they are on, all you see is a glaring white wall in front if you. If turn your high beams off you are able to see more detail through the fog even though it is dimmer. 

On 5/3/2023 at 2:26 PM, scotty said:

Same here, albeit with the CT15 on the 800. 

What I've found from about 2 hrs on it is:

1. It's a heavy swing and wears down the arm. But yeah, exercise makes you stronger!
  2. EMI hasn't been a huge issue for me, but YMMV.
  3. On air tests, it behaves strangely sensitive on small junk rings...like a 10" no prob. That may just be me, however, and I don't possess any "real" jewelry to test against.

Anyways, I'm taking the hog out again tonight for a couple quick swings at the sports complex where one of the kids has soccer practice. Plan is to drop the sensitivity to 17-19 and cover an fairly low traffic area, cherry-picking for coins.

Testing and learning, testing and learning.

8 hours ago, glacialgold said:

Same here, albeit with the CT15 on the 800. 

What I've found from about 2 hrs on it is:

1. It's a heavy swing and wears down the arm. But yeah, exercise makes you stronger!
  2. EMI hasn't been a huge issue for me, but YMMV.
  3. On air tests, it behaves strangely sensitive on small junk rings...like a 10" no prob. That may just be me, however, and I don't possess any "real" jewelry to test against.

Anyways, I'm taking the hog out again tonight for a couple quick swings at the sports complex where one of the kids has soccer practice. Plan is to drop the sensitivity to 17-19 and cover an fairly low traffic area, cherry-picking for coins.

Testing and learning, testing and learning.

Yes ,It's a little bit heavy...and you need to be in shape for the holes you are going to dig.

This is the best combination I have found:

- Detect-ed carbon upper shaft, and

- Shorten the lower shaft a bit, your shoulder will appreciate it.

An excellent coil.

IMG_20221225_124727.jpg

16 hours ago, StarVatrex said:

Yes ,It's a little bit heavy...and you need to be in shape for the holes you are going to dig.

This is the best combination I have found:

- Detect-ed carbon upper shaft, and

- Shorten the lower shaft a bit, your shoulder will appreciate it.

An excellent coil.

Agreed -- heavy, but does the trick.

A couple more quick hunts under my belt with the Nox 800 + CT15, and now I'm starting to really feel its utility. Since my hunting time is short, something covering maximal area quickly is a good thing. Trade off is increased time isolated the target. When daling a target in, the main challenge I'm seeing so far is the readings run deep (4+ bars) when the actual target is shallow (2-3") on coin-sized targets. Known issue across detectors, understood.

Granted, this is a depth relic/larger target coil, but it is serving its purpose for me coinshooting in terms of coverage. I just finished a 40 minute session on previosuly worked ground (last summer/fall as a novice, 800 and Legend) which had given up plenty of clad, mainly nickels. Swinging the 800 + CT15, I dug 6 targets and all 6 were coins -- 2 dimes, 3 nickels, and 1 memorial penny. These weren't deep targets, and I KNOW I've hit this same area before-- what I think I pulled out this time around was due to 1) additional experience, and 2) the big coil hitting gaps from prior swings.