Deus 2 Quick-connect Charger... Is This Possible?

Rattlehead

The one thing that really irritates me about my Deus 2 is how fiddly it is to connect the charging cable to the remote. I know I don't necessarily have to tighten it down to get a connection, but just having to fiddle with lining up the pins is annoying to me. Surely there's a better way. I'm assuming only a couple of those pins are for charging. So, my question for anyone with knowledge of electronics is, would something like this be possible? .. and if so, do you think this is something other users would be interested in? 

D2-EZ-PWR.JPG.a35188064b1998171ed2cf2d25028e11.JPG

The cap would remain on the remote at all times so that when a charge is needed, it would be as simple as connecting the magnets.

I don't know much about this sort of thing, so this may be just another one of my goofy ideas that's either too much trouble or not even possible. It just came to mind after I saw something similar for USB-C connections like this one:

EXAMPLE.JPG.60120a468a54841a407ca092aac78237.JPG

Thoughts?

I don’t know anything about that stuff either, but I like the idea!  My Olight’s charge that way and I’m a fan. 

I just stuff the end of the cable in until i see the charging icon. When it starts to metal migrate I clean the D2 contacts and get a new cord. 😀 done that twice now. 😁

I'm pretty sure that only two pins are needed, the 0 Volts ( ground ) and the +5 V. The two data lines are simply left unconnected. And it shouldn't be too hard to work out which wire is which ... they may even tell you in the owners manual ?

With a device as capable as the Deus 2, you would of thought that the engineering team at Deus would of noticed the issues right away with the coil charging process.  I am sure they did and for some odd reason decided to go with this cumbersome coil charging process.  Any change to that design would be an improvement.  There is always a better mousetrap.  Keep the ideas following...

Thanks guys. It seems like the only thing that would have to be custom manufactured is the little cap with the pins that screws onto the remote. The part that plugs into the USB port is already being made for other devices. I may contact a couple of these manufacturers to see what would be involved in getting a sample and trial run made.

18 hours ago, Rattlehead said:

The one thing that really irritates me about my Deus 2 is how fiddly it is to connect the charging cable to the remote.

Gosh, and here I direct all my cuss words at charging the coil. 

1 hour ago, midalake said:

Gosh, and here I direct all my cuss words at charging the coil. 

Oh, I'd like to see a better option for the coil too. I'm not a fan of that OEM clip at all. I replaced mine with the one from Detecting Doo-Dads, which was a big improvement.. BUT, a quick connect magnetic option for the coil would be even better.

The whole OEM charging method is pretty cumbersome IMHO.

I imagine this relates somewhat with reluctance to be sued by "the other guys". 

Twisting the DIN connector to find the right spot leads fairly fast to failure of the cable at the plug, and the coil clip could be easily fixed if redesigned with the jack pointing in the other direction. 😀

I also dislike the length of the 3 leads. I don't want to compress the detector every time I put it to charge. Guess I'm just spoiled by "grab and go". If you have a custom shaft that is round, it's not as easy to do that.

However, the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. I'm still thrilled with the D2 and WS6. You can use the old cord on the WS6 Master, which is easier to connect and has longer leads.

5 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

I imagine this relates somewhat with reluctance to be sued by "the other guys". 

Twisting the DIN connector to find the right spot leads fairly fast to failure of the cable at the plug, and the coil clip could be easily fixed if redesigned with the jack pointing in the other direction. 😀

I also dislike the length of the 3 leads. I don't want to compress the detector every time I put it to charge. Guess I'm just spoiled by "grab and go". If you have a custom shaft that is round, it's not as easy to do that.

However, the benefits outweigh the disadvantages. I'm still thrilled with the D2 and WS6. You can use the old cord on the WS6 Master, which is easier to connect and has longer leads.

My thoughts exactly. I agree, the 3 lead cable needs to be longer as well. I love the Deus 2. It's my favorite machine out of the current crop of detectors. I just tend to nit-pick about the little annoyances with anything I get. If I can figure out a way to solve a few of them, great. Otherwise I'll just deal with them.