Letting Go

On 7/19/2023 at 8:40 PM, fishersari said:

Its been 6 months as weekend detectorist.. Dug every signal of ID 98-99.. positive tones all directions with minor hint of iron.. usually the target was deep big iron around 12 to 15 inches. Not a single good target dug.. I wonder if anyone has dug a good deep target with the ID of 98-99. Btw I'm using the AT High conductor, AT Low conductor identified it as iron.. but I'm not so sure that AT low conductor max depth is identical as AT High conductor for inland relic site.. I'm ready (sort of) pass up targets that read 98-99

fishersari  I hunt with the 900, it has the same target range, the stability and target Id issues as the Manticore. Everybody I talked to, all the posts I've read seems to agree 98-99 is always is iron. Till yesterday. I hunt old parks and get a ton of 98-99s. In my soil the Equinox,800 &900 seem to up average a penny /dime signal more often than not. Until the previous hunt all my silvers (around 30 ) hit 92 to 96. On that hunt the 2 Mercs I dug both rang up a 79-80-81. I was surprised, I thought ok the 900 is behaving today. Yesterday, same park I dug 3 wheat pennies, the first 2 hightoned in the 90s and then dropped into the 60s. The numbers then bounced anywhere from 62 to 96. The third was a 98-99, numbers never dropped, it was tight up to a log so I really couldn't turn on it. Which that and where it pinpoints is usually how I decide to dig or not. The tone sounded really great, I thought maybe big silver, about 4 in. down I saw a penny in the hole. A crusty 1930 wheatie. After rechecking the hole and a scan of the area there was no other signals. I always investigate a 98-99 and now I guess I'll have to be a little more diligent. Mark

By the way I remember when the Equinox came out everybody was notching out 39-40. I had several old silver dimes and oddly enough Ihps that gave clean 39-40s on my 800.

This past weekend I got a solid 98 signal on the manticore(with the update) in all directions using AT-HC and AT-LC(using stabilizer) with a little iron mixed in.  I figured it would be iron as the signal was in what was left of an colonial rock wall.  Ended up being an ox knob a few inches down.  So ya never know, maybe its iron wrap around or maybe not!

20 hours ago, Medina said:

I'm assuming they'll do another update, release coils and I'll quit being a whiny bitch 

I do hope Minelab put something out and hopefully it will meet your expectations. 

Im going to reenable the 98-99 again.. here comes the nightmare and flashbacks of digging deep iron with 98-99 ID 😆. Thank you for the feedback

On 7/21/2023 at 5:40 AM, Medina said:

So mad I sold my 3030, my 800, actually believing the hype about the Manti... no small coil yet, the update..not really sure what it did (for me)... 

Got half the hours sweeping as I did this time last year, very frustrated. Actually thinking of selling it, buying an 800 with coils (I've easily got well over 1200 hours on the 800) and hoping ML gets its sht together at some point

The Manticore definitely has a steeper learning curve than the Nox. Most people including myself thought there wouldn't be much of a learning curve if you were coming straight from the Equinox 800. I was wrong about that. The larger segment I.D., and more prone to false on iron. It's seems to me to be just a more sensitive detector in general. You tend to have to endure a lot more targets with the Manticore if you hunt in all metal.

I'm doing fantastic with mine. At this point no way would I trade it for any other detector. Personally I don't think if you had a Equinox 800 upgrading to a 900 was worth it, but that's just me. Coil selection is nice to have, but generally I prefer the 11" stock coils. Since I turf hunt mostly I find it pretty rare that any accessory coil is a major improvement over the stock coil. In certain situations sure, but for daily detecting no. They are nice to have, but I don't seem to ever use them that much.  

12 hours ago, longbow62 said:

Coil selection is nice to have, but generally I prefer the 11" stock coils

Same here too. Still have the nox 800, wont sell it.. Even though I prefer to use the Manticore over the equinox 800 that is out of warranty, I still picked up the 800 with 6' coil for fresh water hunting (river, waterfall) every time. Hopefully the m8 is within the reasonable price range..

23 hours ago, longbow62 said:

The Manticore definitely has a steeper learning curve than the Nox. Most people including myself thought there wouldn't be much of a learning curve if you were coming straight from the Equinox 800. I was wrong about that. The larger segment I.D., and more prone to false on iron. It's seems to me to be just a more sensitive detector in general. You tend to have to endure a lot more targets with the Manticore if you hunt in all metal.

I'm doing fantastic with mine. At this point no way would I trade it for any other detector. Personally I don't think if you had a Equinox 800 upgrading to a 900 was worth it, but that's just me. Coil selection is nice to have, but generally I prefer the 11" stock coils. Since I turf hunt mostly I find it pretty rare that any accessory coil is a major improvement over the stock coil. In certain situations sure, but for daily detecting no. They are nice to have, but I don't seem to ever use them that much.  

I also thought the Manticore would be an easy transition.   And like you, I wouldn't give it up.  The subtleties in signal responses has me digging gold and silver from overly detected parks in my area. I think the game changer is the 2D screen.  It confirms corrosion of metal objects with it's trace.  It also allows for target separation.  

In the long run, it's your choice to dig or not to dig...

Pennies, zinc or copper.

When you recover them, examine how much corrosion it has.  I've noticed the more corrosion an object has the more trace it shows. This will help you dig less junk.

However, when an object like gold or silver is mixed with high iron content it will also look like a corroded object.  But it will sound smoother.  You still have to rely on your ears...