Just What A Lot Of People Want After A Hot Day Of Detecting...

A 5 cent drink at the bar!  I assume A Bradfish was the proprietor’s name and the bar’s name.  My understanding is the heyday for drink tokens was from the civil war to prohibition in 1919.  Local county directories do not have any listings for Bradfish from 1887 (earliest available) to 1912.  The only other directories are 1939 and 1940, and had an Aug. Bradfish residing in another part of the county.

The shell casing appears to be a .32 long rim fire with a US head stamp.  That would be the US Cartridge Co., which dates it to between post-civil war to late 1920’s.

I am not sure what the clip is. I am wondering if it is some sort of hair ribbon clip?  

As I post these pictures, I remember I included the 334 disc and the games people play token in my last post.  Sorry for that duplication!

Thanks for looking!

C4134F74-5C01-40CE-BE18-037272687DBE.jpeg

378AA8C1-00ED-4543-BD70-1B1DF95A0FD6.jpeg

1 hour ago, markinswpa said:

Love  old tokens. Nice save. Congrats on the other goodies as well. Good luck. Mark

Thanks, That is my first drink token!

5 cents?!?!! My how times have changed. 

A guy came up to me 2 weeks ago while I was detecting the dry sand about 8 a.m. behind a large popular hotel down here and asked if I was local. He said his group of 17 people have been coming down every year for a number of years but he was pissed on this particular morning. He says they got in last night and he ordered a round for everyone in the group to celebrate their arrival.

The bill came.......$16 per drink! 🤪 That's crazy. I did the math....$272 without the tip! OUCH!

9 minutes ago, TampaBayBrad said:

5 cents?!?!! My how times have changed. 

A guy came up to me 2 weeks ago while I was detecting the dry sand about 8 a.m. behind a large popular hotel down here and asked if I was local. He said his group of 17 people have been coming down every year for a number of years but he was pissed on this particular morning. He says they got in last night and he ordered a round for everyone in the group to celebrate their arrival.

The bill came.......$16 per drink! 🤪 That's crazy. I did the math....$272 without the tip! OUCH!

Highway robbery!

11 minutes ago, Doc Bach said:

Highway robbery!

Yea, I get mad when I dine waterfront and have to pay $5 or $6 for a drink that I usually pay $3 for not on the water. Big waterfront hotels and corporate chain waterfront restaurants get what the market will bear from tourists.

Didn't mean to derail....nice token Geologyhound! Oldie but goody for sure. Blast from the past. 

9 hours ago, Geologyhound said:

Thanks, That is my first drink token!

That is awesome!

Makes me thing of "nickel beer" night when I was in college (late 90s/early 00s, for context).

What you'd get for that nickel once you waded/pushed through the line was an 8oz plastic cup of beer, and 50% was foam. No cards or bills accepted -- only change, and only up to a quarter...which would grant one 4x8oz. x 50% fills.

Looked like the bar had excess/stale lite beer kegs running through the regular tap line, then routing inside a seperate styrofoam cooler for multi-tap disbursement.

Rowdy scene, yes. I recall one, well-after-midnight experience where one of my roommates got frustrated waiting in line to use the can, then switched gears and charged the beer line. He then took care of his necessary business once he was in the front of the line, and was safely covered by the bar top and the line behind. 🙂

On 7/23/2023 at 3:45 PM, TampaBayBrad said:

I wish I could get away with that kind of markup!