I've only had my 900 now for 3 weeks and have been primarily searching waste deep in the ocean, too hot for the dry sand for me to have to wait for fall. Been going with a good friend who is showing me the ropes, he's been doing this for 20yrs.. Anyhow, have a few questions. 1) what setting are you guys using for the water stuff 2) does bringing up my sensitivity increase the depth at which the 900 will detect and 3) how do you veteran huntersIMG_3650.thumb.jpeg.d4b448ee00e4c16b5224103ef2602e01.jpeg like or think of the 900

IMG_3614.jpeg

1). Beach 2, just like the manual says (suggest reading p. 13 of the manual, some good nuggets of information there regarding beach detecting with the 900).

https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/494595/4901-0419-2 Inst Manual, EQUINOX 700 900 EN.pdf

2) In principle yes.  However, over driving sensitivity will just creates noise and instability which negates any improved depth performance.  After Noise cancel p, suggest setting sensitivity to the point where you just start to hear extraneous audio and then back off until it’s quiet.  If you are running in the surf, Tracking Ground Balance is recommended to track changing ground effects due to salinity variations in the surf.  If you are using GB tracking, then do a GB first, then engage tracking.  Tracking is usually unnecessary in damp or dry sand. Your mileage may vary so test this out to see what works best.

3). I like the 800 better, less sparky and more stable IDs but if you keep sensitivity under control and set it where it is stable then the 900 should be an excellent beach machine.  And besides, who can argue with results as shown by your finds pics.  Congrats and good luck.

This is unrelated to water detecting but one thing I have found with the 900 is that on land and on dp tones...if I get a loud signal but only reads 1 on the vdi..it is always without fail a hot rock.  This saves some digging for sure.