Some May Already Know This, But I Learned Something New With The Legend

as the header reads,

Just Learned something about the Legend today

I run in Gold mode 98% of the time, with my threshold set as low as I can get it in gold mode and still hear the faint mosquito buzz, my setting would be around 9-12 and the pitch of the threshold would be somewhere around 9-13 but it was always very hard to hear the threshold, even with the Legend volume set at 6 which is max Volume.

What I learned today while playing with the settings in Gold mode is the AG (Audio Gain) acts as a secondary volume control of the threshold in gold mode, I had the threshold set at 12 and the pitch of the threshold set at 13 and increased the AG in gold mode to max which is 6, when I hit max AG the threshold in gold mode literally increased to where it was way to loud, at a max AG setting which is 6, I was able to decrease the threshold down to 3-6 and the pitch of the threshold down to as low as 4 and had no issues of now being able to hear the threshold in gold mode, i always ran my AG at 3 in gold mode prior to this discovery and never could or barely hear the threshold but adjusting the AG in gold mode to 5-6 I now can hear the threshold in gold mode at a much lower settings of the threshold, I was also able to decrease my volume level in gold mode by increasing the AG level while in gold mode and still be able to now hear the threshold
I tried this while in park,field and beach modes threshold and adjusting the AG to max made no difference, increasing the AG to max, it had no affect on being able to hear the threshold or not in those three modes

the threshold in Gold mode is totally different from the threshold in park,field and beach modes,in park field and beach modes the threshold being utilized in those three modes is what is called a reference threshold in Gold mode the Legend utilizes what is known as a True Threshold, and there is a huge difference in the two different types of threshold being utilized in the Legend.

If you do not understand the differences in the two different types of threshold being used in the Legend you will have to look it up because it is to much to type for me with a little searching on google search you can learn the differences between the two types of threshold
I hope by posting this it helps some that was struggling hearing the threshold in gold mode

1 hour ago, Tometusns said:

D, Thanks for the info. Question, are you hunting gold or using this program for coins/relics? Thanks, Tom

I run in gold mode 98% of the time when detecting for nuggets or coins, simply because gold mode gives me the best depth over all the other modes in my opinion, and I just like detecting in gold mode I like the threshold that the gold mode utilizes and I just feel it suits my detecting and the ground I detect on the best, yes I am probably costing myself in some ways and maybe even missing a few things, but really do not care as no one is going to hit every target out there anyways,  there is one park in my area so I only hit it occasionally, and the areas I mainly hit here where I live, are for nuggets so Gold Mode is what I have settled in on

the area I am in is a known gold and silver area so I do a lot of detecting for nuggets here, at one time Buffalo Bill Cody owned over 100 gold and silver mines in this area, and the club I am a member of, (Just recently Joined), has claims we can detect in this area so I go out and hunt for the illusive little yellow rocks and a couple of ghost towns that are in this area 

honestly I am swinging the Garrett 24K a lot of times with the 4x6 inch coil on it as I thoroughly enjoy using the 24K more than I do the Legend for what I do, I do carry both my Legends out with us with the 6 inch round LG15 and the 6x9 LG24 coils but very seldom do I swing it while detecting for nuggets but occasionally do

I used to hunt with an f-19 and really liked it. Although I thought it was very respectable in depth I felt like it wasn't as deep as the two smf machines I have used since then. 
 I will play with the gold mode some as I have a few spots that the coins were deep. I've always thought there were some deeper coins still there waiting for me.😁

On 8/19/2023 at 7:46 PM, DSMITH said:
Just Learned something about the Legend today

I run in Gold mode 98% of the time, with my threshold set as low as I can get it in gold mode and still hear the faint mosquito buzz, my setting would be around 9-12 and the pitch of the threshold would be somewhere around 9-13 but it was always very hard to hear the threshold, even with the Legend volume set at 6 which is max Volume.

I already knew this.  But only because I read your post about it on FB earlier today.  hehehe
Interesting tinkering!

1 hour ago, CTidwell said:

I already knew this.  But only because I read your post about it on FB earlier today.  hehehe
Interesting tinkering!

Yep, not everyone ventures onto Facebook so I end up posting things to different forums also

there does seem to be some confusion from some on Facebook about the differences in Threshold being utilized on the Legend, and some think a reference threshold is a true or live threshold, they do not think that they are two different types, even had one person on Facebook to tell me I was full of crap in a PM, over that post on Facebook LOL

6 hours ago, DSMITH said:

Yep, not everyone ventures onto Facebook so I end up posting things to different forums also

there does seem to be some confusion from some on Facebook about the differences in Threshold being utilized on the Legend, and some think a reference threshold is a true or live threshold, they do not think that they are two different types, even had one person on Facebook to tell me I was full of crap in a PM, over that post on Facebook LOL

I wasn't dishing on you posting multiple places.  Just tryinmg to make a joke that I already knew it, only to reveal that the way I knew it was from you earlier...hehehe  Fail.  LoL