Website Back In Time ×

Dredging Up Some Fun!

Thanks for the read and glad to see some nice gold come your way. Really like the larger pieces.

When I am trying to move a large rock like that in water that is running the fast, I dredge further down river before getting to where the rock was. The reason is the water tends to move the lighter gold away from where the rock was and if I am not careful I will lose that gold. I didn't know if you knew that or not, but I can only guess that you did.

Good luck on your next hunt and stay safe out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And another Thanks for the great read & pics! Beautiful small river that's good for the soul to be at, the gold being a great bonus. If I were younger I'd love to snipe underwater there. Used to have 1/4 oz. days in California doing that--it's way too athletic now. But it's something you might try when you get your 1/4" thick wetsuit, Peg.  And what I'd heard about Idaho having only small gold is not true from seeing your pics & Gerry's alluvial specimens. You've gone the opposite direction from me--I started with sluicing & dredging and have been slowly learning gold detecting--have to if I want to find gold because I'm  now in N Nevada. It's part of my adventure-exercise program. I sure do miss the streams & rivers. Maybe you've inspired me & my wife to journey to the Downieville area where we know some of the country.

• Like 2