Fmf Goldfield V2.0 Gold Prospecting Test

Jeff McClendon

I was able to test and hunt with Deus 2 with 9" coil using FMF Goldfield V2.0 software for about an hour at a Colorado location with very tough magnetite and hot rock mineralization where I have found very small gold nuggets with the ORX in the past. Deus 2's mineralization meter was full at the testing and hunting site. I also took a photo nearby showing some marble sized pieces of magnetite as found on the surface which continue under the surface too.

IMG_3862.thumb.jpg.48e9d94bad24630a3938e10ec9d0c83e.jpgIMG_3864.thumb.jpg.825b195dc3e61c904c9c39efa4381f39.jpg

I dug a shallow 6" deep trench, cut a slit into the sidewall of the trench at 2.5" depth and inserted a plastic strip with a 0.1 gram piece of lead glued on it for a test target. V2.0 FMF Goldfield High Square VCO audio with Disc IAR 0, sensitivity 95, reactivity 2.5, audio response 4, threshold 5 hit the target very well and even displayed a target ID of 26 to 30 which is right on the ferrous/nonferrous borderline. I also tested this test target with Deus 2's Fast40 mono 40kHz program in Hi Square Pitch tones with Disc. on -6.4, Silencer 0, sensitivity 95, frequency 39.5 kHz, reactivity 2.5, audio response 4, threshold 5. Fast 40 also hit this target but with no ID and with slightly weaker responses.

IMG_3859.thumb.jpg.b481c403e8345fd070a90c44f896af50.jpgIMG_3857.thumb.jpg.249600517b5067ba7f0cc6632ebffb85.jpg

Those FMF Goldfield settings were actually a little too hot for this location so I increased reactivity to 3 and lowered audio response to 3 which helped a lot. I had to do some fairly frequent ground balancing since there were changing ground conditions with differing levels of soil moisture and magnetite sizes ranging from specs to golf ball sized.

I did not find any gold during this short 1 hour hunt with Deus 2 FMF Goldfield V2.0. I did find three very indicative lead fragment targets however. All three were easily detected and had proper low conductor target IDs after a bit of a boot scrape. All were found at around 3" depth.

IMG_3867.thumb.jpg.b9c31dec92949a8c02d2f1e60ee8700f.jpg

Deus 2's V2.0 Goldfield sensitivity is much improved from previous software versions. Like I said, it was almost too hot for this location. I had my Nokta Legend with 6" coil along with my GPX 6000 with me for the hunt. I didn't even fire up the GPX 6000 due to time constraints and a sore right shoulder. The Legend hit all of the targets that Deus 2 hit but ran a little quieter probably due to its smaller coil.

The Legend and Deus 2 have so much information available on the display even in their gold modes. They both have a ferrous/nonferrous probability meter which is all you get on some gold prospecting specific VLF detectors, a mineralization meter, numerical target IDs, depth meter, single digit level notching, onboard pinpointing along with other great features like SMF operation which gives good IDs and no nonsense ground balancing, iron filter settings, audio response settings, reactivity/recovery speed settings, fully adjustable threshold volume and pitch settings, and various audio options.

All Deus 2 needs now for high quality gold prospecting is a smaller coil.

Thanks again XP for making FMF Goldfield V2.0 a very viable small gold prospecting option!

Really very nice Jeff. Thanks for your interesting report..

Another great write up Jeff. I've toyed with Gold Field and Relic in my very mild soils here in the northeast so I really don't understand the challenges or methods of hunting in the conditions you describe. But I do know that I can't get away with running IAR at 0 even at sites with light iron. That hot rock mineralization and magnetite that you were swinging in didn't need any IAR in order to keep your sanity ?? 

That’s the conundrum, if I use any Disc IAR I will miss small nonferrous targets like small gold since most gold at this location will initially have ferrous target IDs and ferrous tones if I have iron volume on. With Disc IAR off I hear absolutely everything. 

This area is best hunted with a pulse induction detector. Unfortunately there are large power lines in the area too so EMI is pretty bad. Using a DD coil with the GPX6000 would be ideal but the rugged terrain and the big 14” DD don’t get on too well. 

I haven’t been in the goldfields yet, but I will say the updated Goldfield program is my new target checker because it punches deep and hard and has been very good at verifying some iffy targets in relic, park, and beach scenarios so far. 😎

Thanks for the report, Jeff, looks like they've fixed it up and it's a viable prospecting option now, the final piece in the puzzle is a better coil so hopefully that's on the drawing board, and they're not holding it back to still get some Deus 1 or ORX sales.