Thoughts On The 13x11 Coil?

MFF18B

The first time I used my new 13"X11" coil was September 7th 2023. Since then the number of silver coins and jewelry that I have found in a period of 21 days at public park turf sites, no beaches, on ground that I have hunted extensively with Deus 2 using the 9" coil is staggering at least for me. I have not hunted all 21 days either. My hunt log shows 12 hunts with Deus 2 using the 13"X11" coil.

Here in Colorado, finding lots of silver coins in a public area means getting extremely lucky as in there has been some soil disturbance like installing a new sidewalk, play structure, trees or flower beds in a park. Or a change in detector/coil has achieved more usable target separation and depth. 

None of these silver items were found in areas with recent soil disturbances. They were all found deep in moderate to high iron mineralized undisturbed for many years dirt between 7" and 10" deep. Some had very iffy but clearly high conductor target responses with some iron responses mixed in. Others were no brainer, has to be a deep high conductor coin or jewelry responses. I have not dug an equal amount of iron trash by the way......maybe 6 or 7 bent nails.

I was one of those people that wanted the 9" coil to be sufficient due to its outstanding ergonomics. Clearly at least for my area, it isn't.

IMG_3872.jpg

2 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I was one of those people that wanted the 9" coil to be sufficient due to its outstanding ergonomics. Clearly at least for my area, it isn't.

Dang it, Jeff, now I'm thinking I should probably get the 11x13" coil as well! 😏

I've been real happy with the 9" coil, but since I got the 11",  I think I've been getting some targets I may have missed with the 9". I do like an elliptical coil, although the 11" seems to separate very well. 🤔

I'd like to hear some users' thoughts on the 11" VS 11x13". 

13 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Dang it, Jeff, now I'm thinking I should probably get the 11x13" coil as well! 😏

I've been real happy with the 9" coil, but since I got the 11",  I think I've been getting some targets I may have missed with the 9". I do like an elliptical coil, although the 11" seems to separate very well. 🤔

I can't help with the 11" VS 13"X11" comparison. 

Had I bought an 11" instead of the 13"X11" I may have had the same results. Who knows......?

I haven't even started deliberately hunting for deep gold jewelry yet at these same sites. That will come next when the thick spring/summer grass goes thin and dormant for the winter. Right now, there are too many recently dropped/shredded aluminum and steel alloy targets hiding in the grass at these local parks to make deep gold jewelry hunting much fun. In a month or so, I will actually be able to see most of this recent trash on the surface.

On 9/29/2023 at 1:06 PM, CPT_GhostLight said:

I only bought the 11" because the 11x13" wasn't available, and was one of the first to have it. Had my bid in for it early, and jumped as soon as it came in.

The 11" never really gelled with me, the 13" has been on my detector since. 🤔 I simply can't say enough good about the 13", particularly the ability to cover more area. Simply changing reactivity on the fly can help a lot, bump it up a bit when it gets trashy.

As I write I'm at a campground that I've hunted for the last 3 years, and I'm still digging find-per-minute-ish coins, many of them at least 8-10" deep, going to do a recap post. In a little less than 9 hours so far I've dug around 200.

I've been using the 9" with the WS6 as well, but the 13" is making the place seem new.

This campground dates back to the 70s, so there's nothing really old. I originally dug a few wheats and got a 1945 Roosevelt last year at this time, can't remember what coil I was using. It's been a year since I've been here.

V2 is really getting solid, I'll have some suggestions on EMI mitigation and such when I post, as there is a lot of it in some spots here.

It might be silly but I'm still using my beach sensitive program even in the open field! There is a beach and a lot of beach sand lots for various activities, this place is big.

I did bring my Equinox as well, may throw that in the mix. Big party tonight, may find some drops tomorrow.

Y'all know I'm a fan of the "biggun" anyway 🙄

23 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

I only bought the 11" because the 11x13" wasn't available, and was one of the first to have it. Had my bid in for it early, and jumped as soon as it came in.

The 11" never really gelled with me, the 13" has been on my detector since. 🤔 I simply can't say enough good about the 13", particularly the ability to cover more area. Simply changing reactivity on the fly can help a lot, bump it up a bit when it gets trashy.

As I write I'm at a campground that I've hunted for the last 3 years, and I'm still digging find-per-minute-ish coins, many of them at least 8-10" deep, going to do a recap post. In a little less than 9 hours so far I've dug around 200.

I've been using the 9" with the WS6 as well, but the 13" is making the place seem new.

This campground dates back to the 70s, so there's nothing really old. I originally dug a few wheats and got a 1945 Roosevelt last year at this time, can't remember what coil I was using. It's been a year since I've been here.

V2 is really getting solid, I'll have some suggestions on EMI mitigation and such when I post, as there is a lot of it in some spots here.

It might be silly but I'm still using my beach sensitive program even in the open field! There is a beach and a lot of beach sand lots for various activities, this place is big.

I did bring my Equinox as well, may throw that in the mix. Big party tonight, may find some drops tomorrow.

Y'all know I'm a fan of the "biggun" anyway 🙄

Thanks, F350! I know you like the 11x13". I know I will probably like it too. I think weight is my main concern. With my Nox, the 12x15" was just too heavy for me to use for any length of time so I ended up selling it and stuck with the 11" and 10x5". I do have Steve's D2 shaft and think may help with the 11x13" coil. I look forward to your upcoming report. Happy Hunting on your camground! 😎

Short hunt results with more silver (tiny kid's ring) and 7 copper pennies dating from 1946 to 1964. All of those pennies could have been silver. Three of the dimes have dates that are just after the change to clad in 1965. All dirty coin targets in the photo were at least 7" deep. Some were 8 to 10" deep including the nail and both rings. All were found with the 13X11" Deus 2 coil in an area that I have hunted twice before with the Equinox 900 using the 11" coil and Deus 2 using the 9" coil. The pull-tabs were shallower from surface to 5" deep as were the shiny, recent drop clad. 

Deus 2 with the 13X11" coil is getting these results using conservative settings, nothing crazy and I am not using the Deep High Conductor program. I am using the Sensitive program with 40 kHz max frequency, disc on 10, iron volume ON in 6 tones. 

My Tek Point pinpointer in the photo is 9.5" long. 

IMG_3873.jpg

IMG_3876.jpg

56 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Short hunt results with more silver (tiny kid's ring) and 7 copper pennies dating from 1946 to 1964. All of those pennies could have been silver. Three of the dimes have dates that are just after the change to clad in 1965. All dirty coin targets in the photo were at least 7" deep. Some were 8 to 10" deep including the nail and both rings. All were found with the 13X11" Deus 2 coil in an area that I have hunted twice before with the Equinox 900 using the 11" coil and Deus 2 using the 9" coil. The pull-tabs were shallower from surface to 5" deep as were the shiny, recent drop clad. 

Deus 2 with the 13X11" coil is getting these results using conservative settings, nothing crazy and I am not using the Deep High Conductor program. I am using the Sensitive program with 40 kHz max frequency, disc on 10, iron volume ON in 6 tones. 

My Tek Point pinpointer in the photo is 9.5" long. 

IMG_3873.jpg

IMG_3876.jpg

That's all pretty convincing, Jeff, specially since we have basically the same soil. My only question is, coming from the 9" coil, how do you feel about the extra weight of the 13"? Judging from your finds, it doesn't look like it's affecting you in a negative way.

1 hour ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

That's all pretty convincing, Jeff, specially since we have basically the same soil. My only question is, coming from the 9" coil, how do you feel about the extra weight of the 13"? Judging from your finds, it doesn't look like it's affecting you in a negative way.

I really don’t care about the weight. I can swing a detector left handed or right handed so I switch off if I get tired.

Sure, it’s heavier. I don’t have Steve G’s carbon fiber shaft system so I am experiencing the weight with the stock shaft system. 

I wanted more coverage and I also thought maybe I was missing deeper stuff and I decided to just go for the biggest coil available. I am glad I bypassed the 11” coil and went for the biggest.

On 9/30/2023 at 4:38 PM, CPT_GhostLight said:

Happy Hunting on your camground! 😎

Thanks Cap'n, approaching or maybe surpassed my previous coin records here, it's insane. Still have one more day! 🤣 I'm almost getting tired of digging coins. 😏

I originally thought after buying my D2 with the 9" that the 11" and 13" would be too heavy. It did not take long to not be.

Remember that the SteveG CF/11x13" combo is lighter than the 600 with the 10x5. Also easier on the hand. 🙂 i pretty much find all targets in the center now.

Reactivity manages separation very well, and  Audio Response can be a huge EMI mitigation tool. I'll have more info soon!

Thanks @Jeff McClendon and @F350Platinum! A buddy of mine just got the 13" and I got to check it out on Sunday's relic hunt. He's been using the 9" coil and said it's heavier but not terrible. I got to swing it for a few minutes and since I'm now used to the 11" I didn't notice much more weight at all and that was mounted on his stock D2 shaft. He also found a tiny early 1800s cuff button with it, so I'm sold! 😎