11x13 Coil Ears Question

Geologyhound

On the regular 9 inch coil (first picture over the sink) the coil ears have two notches which fit the notched insert on the side of the thumb screw.  On the 11 X 13 coil, the coil ears have no notches (second picture over white background), but the insert is still notched and doesn’t quite fit into the coil ears hole except for about the first millimeter “collar” at the tip.  Do you just rely on the compression of the thumb screw to force the insert into the coil ears to secure the coil to the rod? Forcing anything makes me nervous. Is this normal?

6D14E5C6-1B31-479A-97AE-F3CD3B3A618E.jpeg

FB7870E5-8960-49B1-B6C3-A2CCA32DC8B9.jpeg

I noticed that too on the 9" and 13X11" Deus 2 FMF coils. The same may exist on earlier Deus coils, but I never used the larger coil.

I just jiggle the lower shaft a bit until the insert goes in a little farther and then let the wing nut do the rest as I tighten it.

I mentioned this a long time ago as well, the 13" doesn't have the tabs in the bolt hole to assist with holding the coil. It's a friction fitting that really doesn't work all that well. I just tighten it as much as I dare, and keep spare bolts in my bag. 🙂 

It's been a long time since I broke one, I broke more of them using a centering device.

On 11/24/2023 at 10:44 AM, F350Platinum said:

I mentioned this a long time ago as well, the 13" doesn't have the tabs in the bolt hole to assist with holding the coil. It's a friction fitting that really doesn't work all that well. I just tighten it as much as I dare, and keep spare bolts in my bag. 🙂 

It's been a long time since I broke one, I broke more of them using a centering device.

Thanks! I finally had a chance to get out and use it today. The 11 x 13 is a little more nose heavy than the 9 inch. 😏. I just kept tightening the bolt until the coil remained stable. It wasn’t as much of a problem as I thought it could be.