Detecting At The Limit

Sinclair

-3,5 degree celsius and some snow wonโ€˜t hold us back, does it?ย ๐Ÿ˜„

IMG_3445.thumb.jpeg.b43c8e02c1d7f24baadfbfc1f2f022e7.jpeg
ย 

I did pretty good for a 1,5h hunt. Could have stayed longer, but work is calling.

IMG_3450.thumb.jpeg.368ff3e0bb251394db9ef3fd7a332024.jpeg

IMG_3452.thumb.jpeg.ccbf678e71a11c41afe7c75aa3050ab2.jpeg

3 silvers, 12,50 DM and 5,20โ‚ฌย 

The Deus display went practically unusable .. super slow. The Nox does better in the cold. How ever, went after tones and it worked out pretty well.

• Like 9

That's hardcore hunting mode, Sinclair, congrats on the silvers and coins!ย ๐Ÿ˜Ž

I snow hunt and like it. Seldom anyone around and my D2 likes the cold so I can go until my hands freeze!ย ๐Ÿ˜

• Like 1

I have detected in the snow before here in the UK,but those conditions are insane and would not do my old joints much good...Kudos to you for braving the elements and getting some decent finds.

• Like 1

It hasn't snowed here in a couple of years, I'm grateful for that because the ground didn't freeze either. I too admire y'all with the fortitude to get out and do that, but my hands and feet couldn't take it. I close up shop when the temperature drops to 32 or less F.

Congrats on some great finds! I guess the D2 LCD screen isn't up to cold weather. ๐Ÿค”

We had luck, that the sand has been relatively dry, otherwise this wouldn't have been possible. It freezes earlier than one would think - sometimes well above 0 degree C, if the sky is clear and there's some wind.

Warm feet are key. You need good shoes and I wear ski socks. I also always check the wind speed and direction beforehand. Offshore wind helps a lot - the less wind the better. For me, the first 20min are always critical.. just when I think my fingernails are separating from the rest of my hand ๐Ÿ˜…, I take a short brake, have a smoke - most of the time the fingers are warm afterwards and stay so for the rest of the hunt.

We once went out at -8 degree C. I'll never do that again.
While it hasen't been a physical problem.. - we hauled a carpenter's hammer with us to break the frozen sand.. it took forever to recover the targets. It really sucks, if you hear a wonderful signal, but can't dig it!๐Ÿคช

10 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I guess the D2 LCD screen isn't up to cold weather.

Imho even at normal conditions, the screen isn't "the best". At night it has low contrast and personally I don't like the font they use for the numbers. When it is cold, the screen updates very slowly - my buddy though his D1 RC went dead, because it seemed like it didn't react to keypresses anymore - it actually did, but the screen took forever to display the changes ๐Ÿ˜„

Today weโ€˜re going nowhere:

IMG_3461.thumb.jpeg.b08b1f30c4172e01e53980804ac129d5.jpeg

• Like 2

I often hunt if there is snow on the ground, but not if it is actually snowing.ย ๐Ÿ˜„ย  -8 C is a bit cold especially if there is any wind. Bringing a hammer to break the sand is hardcore ! I hunt in the woods all winter. The ground rarely freezes. But you are right Sinclair, good footware and socks are the key to staying warm. Plus wearing 4 layers and a backpack help too.ย ๐Ÿ˜‰ย Can't forget my mittens with the handwarmer packs either......and a small thermos of hot coffee....and some energy food. But even with all that if the wind is blowing and it is -8 C, it is miserable!ย 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lodge Scent said:

I hunt in the woods all winter.

I'd love to hunt in the woods - but it's forbidden by law in our part of germany ๐Ÿ™„

You're not allowed to hunt on "unmoved / untouched earth" to preserve archaeology. For hunting fields, you need a certification, which I obtained after 3 years of waiting.

And then there is a lot of WW2 stuff in the woods over here, which you should better not dig ๐Ÿ˜ฌ
There are still beeing so many bombs disarmed every year, it's rediculous. They even found one under a classroom some years ago ๐Ÿ™ˆ

Planned to get out this night, but it seem's like we get some more snow .. 6h, 50% chance.. hmm.. Problably we'll stay at home.

IMG_3478.thumb.jpeg.f5b1a113c9abfc83edf2d502aff5bba3.jpeg

ย 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Lodge Scent said:

If you ever find yourself here in the US, I'll take you for a hunt in the woods.

That would be big fun for sure ๐Ÿ˜€

Actually there are some states in germany, where hunting in the woods is still allowed, but that's more or less the complete opposite location down south. I think it's a matter of time and it will be forbidden in every state at some point.

5-10cm came down since this morning and it's still snowing.. There'll only be surface finds I guess .. ๐Ÿค”