My First Day With The 11 X 13

Geologyhound

Nice find Ghound! So how are you liking the 11x13"? Yeah it's a bit heavy and floppy, but I like it a lot more than the 11" which falses on iron more. Not so bad that you can't tell by turning but ellipticals seem to do better for me. 🤔

3 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Nice find Ghound! So how are you liking the 11x13"? Yeah it's a bit heavy and floppy, but I like it a lot more than the 11" which falses on iron more. Not so bad that you can't tell by turning but ellipticals seem to do better for me. 🤔

I have been using the 11x13 exclusively for the time being. With the exception of this one site, I’ve been using it only at sites which I have already hunted with the 9 inch and/or my old White’s Spectrum XLT.  Coming from White’s, I don’t mind the coil mount.  The Spectrum coils were mounted in the rear just like XP’s, so I am used to it.  Even with the 11x13, it still feels lighter than my old Spectrum.  But, I do feel it more than the 9 inch.  

There have been a couple targets I am pretty sure I missed with the 9 inch, but by and large I seem to to have cleaned out most the decent targets with the 9 inch if I gridded it thoroughly.  Now to be fair, a lot of the sites I hunted with the 9 inch are loaded with nails and/or the EMI will drive you nuts unless you drop the sensitivity.  This is not exactly an ideal situation for a larger coil.  On this subject, have you been at a site where the coil will act fine as long as you are sweeping, but as soon as you set down the coil to dig a target and the coil is no longer parallel to the ground, it starts sounding off like crazy?  I figure that’s the EMI.  At a couple of those sites, I have started leaving the coil in pinpoint mode when I set it down.  That stops the constant beeping while I am trying to recover a target. 

As for iron falsing, I am still trying to figure out what different settings may say about iron saturated areas.  I have been erring on the side of digging if I get better than 50% decent tones two ways on a target even if I lose the tone by rotating 45-90 degrees.  Most of the time, after I recover enough nails or other iron bits out of the hole (generally around 6-9 inches), the iffy signal vanishes. I am open to advice here.

Given these iron-rich sites I have been doublechecking, I have been trying to pinpoint by tone and not pinpoint mode.  I have found wheats with the 9 inch which were sitting on top of large iron targets - impossible to pinpoint with pinpoint mode.

Ultimately, I think my 9 inch is going to be very lonely.  I know I have picked a couple more coins and brass items out of iron loaded sites and or EMI sites with the 11x13 which I hunted previously with the 9 inch.   Even assuming I didn’t get the 9 inch over those targets previously, the 11x13 can find targets in those difficult sites.  So it may become my default coil.

7 hours ago, midalake said:

A little more explanation???  The how's and why's! 

I wish I could get all "engineer-y" about it, but that's for someone else. 😀 I log a lot of hours of "feel".

I simply notice a lot more high tones thrown in the mix when swinging over a well forged iron target like a really old nail. For some reason the 11x13 doesn't do it as much, and I prefer it to the 11" because of that. The only reasons I've been using the 11" lately is because of my shoulder injury and the fact that I want to get as much coverage per swing as I can in those nasty corn fields.

As Geologyhound writes above, I also err on the side of digging if I get better than 50% decent tones. With the 11" I get a lot more iron.

An advantage of the 11" and 9" coils (I have all 3) is that digging is successively easier the smaller you get, the target tends to be more on center.

That's the best I can do 🤷‍♂️ Here, depth is only an issue in rare cases, if a coin makes it past the clay under the loam it's gone, it's all sand at that point, The 11x13 has scored me a couple of really deep finds, but it's more useful on the beach than anywhere. 

5 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I log a lot of hours of "feel".

I simply notice a lot more high tones thrown in the mix when swinging over a well forged iron target like a really old nail. For some reason the 11x13 doesn't do it as much,

OK, that's good enough for me. I am engaging the 13" coil this season and was just wondering. I will give it some trials on iron compared to the 9"  I would love a coil that sounds off less on those bi-metal coins!!!  Thanks! 

I've been impressed by the 11X13 coil. I had it out Saturday at one of my old sites. I was using Sensitive Full Tones, with Disc at -6.4 and Reactivity at 0.5 and managed to find 5 flat buttons and a thimble. Geologyhound regarding the falsing, I had started with the Max frequency set at 14 kHz to see if I could sniff out a deep high conductor (this site has given up a couple of William IIIs), but I noticed a lot of falsing over the old crusty iron. I upped the Max frequency to 24 kHz and it eliminated a lot of the falsing. The coil does suprisingly well in the iron. It's obviously not ideal for the carpet of nails on a cellar hole lip but I have no complaints once you get off the lip.

19 minutes ago, Lodge Scent said:

I upped the Max frequency to 24 kHz and it eliminated a lot of the falsing

@midalake, this is one of the ways to reduce falsing, I've done this as well, lowering Frequency Max from 40khz to 24khz in the General program (and maybe in Beach Sensitive). Thanks Lodge for reminding me!

I really hope you like that coil, recommending someone having to pay $400 for a coil is a bit of a nervy thing 😅 But so far so good...

6 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

@midalake, this is one of the ways to reduce falsing, I've done this as well, lowering Frequency Max from 40khz to 24khz in the General program (and maybe in Beach Sensitive). Thanks Lodge for reminding me!

I really hope you like that coil, recommending someone having to pay $400 for a coil is a bit of a nervy thing 😅 But so far so good...

Well Santa brought me an 11x13" so I get to start testing that when the weather cooperates a bit more. I'm really looking forward to it! 😉

47 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Well Santa brought me an 11x13" so I get to start testing that when the weather cooperates a bit more. I'm really looking forward to it! 😉

Science aside, ellipticals have a different feel than round coils. 🤔 I'm looking forward to what you think of it as well. 🙂