Gang I Need Your Help. Regarding Hip-stick Lengths

Doc

On 12/9/2023 at 7:58 PM, Doc said:

I had mentioned one of my issues with the Hip Stick is it was not adjustable.  You had to decide what length you want before you ordered.

So I was wondering what kind of length would be needed for different people of different heights.

So if you could help me out.  Can you tell me how tall you are and what your measurement is from the top of your shoulder to the top of your pants at the waist.

I'm trying to get an idea if something like the Hip Stick could be made adjustable, maybe telescoping with a cam-lock????  What would be the minimum and maximum length it would have to be adjustable to?

For example  I'm 5'7" and from the top of my shoulder to the top of my pants is 20 inches.

So if you could just give me your height and that measurement it would give me a lot of data.  I think this is why the Minelab Pro Swing has not caught on because they did not take into consideration that the height adjustment needs to have a lot more variation than they provide with the screw adjustment.  Because it is so short that is why customers complain that it separates at the joint of the support strut.

Thank you for your help,

Doc

Hi I am 158cm so I wonder if the shortest hip-stick fit me or still too long?

Thanks,
Ethan

Looks great, only downside to me is its looking 3D printed.  They say it has a Flexituff base, and all I can find about that is it's a durable rubber paint coating with a registered tradmemark on the name so maybe it's 3d printed then painted?

Flexituff (duluxprotectivecoatings.com.au)

Otherwise, it's a nice-looking design, much better than the original and priced not much higher.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, phrunt said:

Otherwise, it's a nice-looking design, much better than the original

How exactly is it a nicer looking design..and much better…?
The genius of the original design was it's simplicity, it's lack of weight and that it worked.

21 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

How exactly is it a nicer looking design..and much better…?
The genius of the original design was it's simplicity, it's lack of weight and that it worked.

Carbin fibre shaft instead of a fibreglass tent pole might make it even lighter and stronger, and adjustable length from 13" to 22".

If it doesn't make the grinding noise of the ball like the original that would be a bonus too, I just kept it silicone sprayed to help with that.

The good thing about the original is anyone can make one at home using cheap parts from the hardware store and get an exact replica, this one's a bit more custom made not just off the shelf parts.

Each to their own though, that's why it's good to have options.

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Each to their own though,

Yes I agree there.
I was just interested in your other statements because I have read previously that you didn't like wearing a Hipstick and as far as you have described, you don't own this new one…so your post is  just sort of your opinion based on not much experience and may be potentially a bit misleading for people who do not know.

I'm 5' 10" and measured 19.25 inches.

4 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

Yes I agree there.
I was just interested in your other statements because I have read previously that you didn't like wearing a Hipstick and as far as you have described, you don't own this new one…so your post is  just sort of your opinion based on not much experience and may be potentially little misleading for people who do not know.

I think it's pretty clear I don't own this alternative one, one thing I don't like about the original was the sizing, depending on where it's attached, for example it might fit your harness but not your backpack, you have to be a Bart Simpson and wear the same thing every time you detect as its fixed size dictates where it can clip on.  If you like to use other ways of connecting it having a fixed length isn't great and an adjustable one would be better.

It's true, I didn't care much for the original, which is why I have been looking for an alternative for the times I would wear one,  Doc's version if it comes to fruition or this one are trying to take the basic concept and improve upon it, in the meantime his Ultra Swingy Thingy I think is better for my needs and unlike the hip stick it's not trying to push my pants down, it holds them up 🙂

The original was made by a very inventive person using off the shelf components to bring their idea to life, now seeing these custom-made versions using parts specifically made for the purpose they will likely be able to better it, I think Doc will come up with something pretty good. 

35 minutes ago, phrunt said:

unlike the hip stick it's not trying to push my pants down, it holds them up 🙂

Last question; Isn't the purpose of both units to redistribute the weight off the shoulder and down onto the hips? If that is true then both units will exert downward pressure. If you are wearing the belt clip on the belt for your pants, they both will be pushing downward on your pants. I always thought these hipsticks were meant to be worn with a harness that had its own belt and would therefore not result in a falling pants calamity.  Anyway…it all remains to be seen I guess. Take it easy...

8 hours ago, phrunt said:

Looks great, only downside to me is its looking 3D printed.  

Yep sure does...one thing for sure is that Doc's wont be 3d printed....tanks for pointing that out as some would not notice this. disclaimer...I've never tried a "hip stick" and never will 🙂 

strick

• Like 1