Manticore - What Does This Sound Mean?

bklein

I’m going along the beach and the detector is responding to the ground and it’s targets and occasionally makes a “took” sound - like I changed a manual setting, but I didn’t.  Why does it make this sound?  There must be some trigger in the firmware that causes it. I’m wondering what it is….

It was happening throughout the day. I was running 5 tones. When it got busy I’d occasionally hear it - same sound as a button press. I could not seem to get it to repeat over a physical area. Maybe it sounds when tracking ground balance bumps a number?

If you were running with iron bin disc'd out I'd say that sounds like a clipped audio on a target on the threshold between the ferrous and non-ferrous breakpoint.  If you were running with no discrimination, then never mind.

It would be really helpful if you were a little more forthcoming with your settings and where on the beach you were detecting (surf, wet, or dry sand) and the beach conditions (black sand?) Knowing your mode, recovery, disc/horseshoe, ferrous limits, tones, audio profile, etc.. up front is helpful rather than us guessing or having to ask 20 questions. At this point all I know is that you were using a Manticore somewhere on a beach in 5 tones and for some reason you were using tracking GB (which would be an odd choice unless you were in surf or in wet black sand).

I was thinking someone else would experience the sound. I have limited time with the machine - I’m torn between trying different settings and just trying to find good targets. Just got it and have only been out 3 times with it - about 4-6 hrs each. I was running beach low conductors or deep, prospect or normal audio modes, 5 tones, default iron settings, probably discriminate but no added reject areas. I did not realize ground balance changes if I change modes. It was set to tracking but likely could be anything. (I was mainly in the wet or ankle deep water) Next trip I’ll play with ground balance. This mainly occurred at Laguna Main beach - same beach I had trouble with years ago with the EQ800. (We have a lengthy thread here somewhere). I’m liking this detector. Like the press and hold NC - finally see it really works. The sound is not prevalent - I’m just curious as it must have a meaning.

Does it go away when you turn the sensitivity lower? Sounds like it’s just ground noise either way you could just ignore it and dig what you know are actual targets...beach deep audio is great....but I never heard what I would describe as a button pushing sound...also I like to hunt with my coil cover off on the beach for obvious reasons..

strick 

If your running Beach Low Conductors in ankle deep water it may be giving you a high salt (blue line) indication every so often. I can't recall what that sounds like in prospecting, but I know I always switch to Seawater mode if I'm IN the water to avoid the high salt warning. I use beach low for both dry and wet sand and seawater anytime I'm in the water. Always prospecting audio and All Metal no disc. Noise cancel is also mode specific, so do that the first time you turn on any new mode in your hunt area then you should be good to go the rest of the day unless you walk a country mile to a different area.

• 1 month later...

Maybe it is an artifact of running 5 tones? I haven’t tried changing to something else. Might be the highest tone in momentary bursts. Annoying for sure. Not repeatable over a physical area.