Ws6 Woes

Elbows

Hey all,

I bought my XP Deus 2 at the end of November but have only had a chance to get it out for two short sessions since.

I had problems instantly with the WS6 headphones in that there was no audio coming from them. They turned on and paired when I turned on the RC unit but no audio.

Eventually after a bunch of turning on and off they came to life and started working. Great. 20 mins later they went silent again. Pressing the buttons on the WS6 would make a tone in the headphones so no problems between the WS6 puck and headphone drivers.

I got home, re-paired them and they seemed to be working ok at home. Then today I went out again and same problem.

After getting home I tried to figure it out and am starting to think it's a hardware issue.

When I turn on the RC unit, the WS6 headphones turn on and pair. The coil pairs with the RC and starts working but no audio through the headphones.

But, if I hold the RC unit up close to the WS6 headphones (within an inch or 2 of the puck) after 3-5 seconds they come to life and start working.

I am thinking there is an issue with the bluetooth antenna.

Now, if I leave the RC unit out of the equation and turn the WS6 headphones on directly, they pair with the coil and work perfectly. So I am starting to suspect the RC unit.

Sometimes, it does seem to struggle when pairing with the coil.

Or am I doing something wrong? Is there some setting I am missing?

I have tried running firmware 1.1 and 2.0 and the results are the same.

Any help would be much appreciated. I have message XP about the matter so hopefully I'll hear back soon.

Definitely something wrong.  I'd be emailing tech support asap.  Couldn't happen at a better time of year, at least.

Yeah it's not ideal timing. I figured on my first trip out I had done something wrong or pairing had messed up but now I've looked into it a bit more I think something isn't right. In guessing it's the RC given the fact the WS6 works fine in master mode. I've messaged XP using their online contact form so hopefully I'll hear back soon.

I can still use it at least but it's not ideal

Yes bad luck probably a faulty RC , XP will probably ask you to send it to the after service . However the WS6 works then you can go detecting with it and by the meantime XP will solve the RC issue. 

This is the advantage of a Deus2 full version ( RC + WS6 ) ,  2 detectors in one then a backup is always available in case of failure .  

There are a lot of considerations because the Deus 2 is so versatile. Welcome to the dark side 🤪

First, you must make sure your WS6 and remote are both on the same version. It's hard to tell because the WS6 was updated again after V2, do them both on the same session. I'll tell you V2 is far better than any iteration of V1.

Second, the WS6 has different pairing options, as a Master or a slave. You should investigate this.

Third, there are volumes for each device you pair except coils. Look there to ensure everything is right, all should be 0 except the current device you are using. Volume for devices not used eats battery.

If the coil is always pairing to the RC, I would not suspect the RC antenna. 

A very helpful thing would be to invest in the WSA II or WSA II XL headphones and keep the WS6 as a second detector, you must unpair it from the RC if you do that.

HTH, HH

I doubt that this is your problem, but one time mine wouldn’t come on.  I tried re-pairing to no avail when I realized the puck wasn’t fully snapped into place on the headphones.  It looked like it was though.   It must have gotten bumped and wasn’t making contact.  

4 hours ago, NCtoad said:

I doubt that this is your problem, but one time mine wouldn’t come on.  I tried re-pairing to no avail when I realized the puck wasn’t fully snapped into place on the headphones.  It looked like it was though.   It must have gotten bumped and wasn’t making contact.  

This happened to me once. 🤬

I've checked all the volumes and the puck connection to the headphones is all fine. It does seem to be an issue with the RC unit by the looks of things.

The WS6 powers on fine in slave mode and makes the little pairing jingle but no audio after that. Holding the RC unit close to the WS6 phones makes them magically start working again. Hoping to hear back from XP tomorrow. Bit of a sickener really 

Good luck on getting it figured out Elbows!🍀🤞

And BTW, welcome to the forum! Lots of help here with the D2, and just about every other detector made!

Keep us in the loop, when you solve the problem! Inquiring minds want to know!👍👍

Quick update. Currently communicating with XP support. I have sent them a video of the issue and they've asked if I've tried it out in a field away from EMI sources which I have both times I've had it out with the same results. I'm waiting to hear back from them.