I've got a goldbug 2 that fades out after running it over a target a few times. It fades in volume and becomes silent, until I power it off and back on again. The stronger the target, the faster it fades. It's currently at fisher waiting for repair. Just curios if anyone else has ever had this problem. 

That is what it does when the one battery that powers the detector is low. The two batteries in the Gold Bug 2 do not power the same thing. One battery runs the detector completely, both the detection circuit and audio, the other acts as a booster to the audio circuit. In other words you can run the Gold Bug 2 with one battery alone if you put it in the correct battery bay. The one powering the detector and audio goes dead first, and often at the bitter end simply swapping batteries will get you another hour or two of detecting time. Not saying that is what was going on with yours, but you asked and that is the only time I have seen what you are describing happen. You turn the detector off, the battery gets a moment to rest, go over a few targets and it fades away again. More likely with alkaline than rechargeables as rechargeables simply go dead.

Batteries are the number one reason for returns for service. People think they put new ones in and...... 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

That is what it does when the one battery that powers the detector is low. The two batteries in the Gold Bug 2 do not power the same thing. One battery runs the detector completely, both the detection circuit and audio, the other acts as a booster to the audio circuit. In other words you can run the Gold Bug 2 with one battery alone if you put it in the correct battery bay. The one powering the detector and audio goes dead first, and often at the bitter end simply swapping batteries will get you another hour or two of detecting time. Not saying that is what was going on with yours, but you asked and that is the only time I have seen what you are describing happen. You turn the detector off, the battery gets a moment to rest, go over a few targets and it fades away again. More likely with alkaline than rechargeables as rechargeables simply go dead.

Batteries are the number one reason for returns for service. People think they put new ones in and...... 🤷🏼‍♂️

Thanks for the input Steve. That sounds like what was going on. I did try 3 different brand new sets of batteries to make sure it wasn't a battery issue. I really didn't want to pay the $50 per hr tech to change batteries for me lol. So maybe something in that circuit is shorted or drawing too much power. Hoping it ends up to be something simple, as the machine looks like new, but is 10 yrs old. I'll update when fisher gets back to me. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wltdwiz said:

it could be heavy duty batterys dont work 

alkaline batterys are a must for modern electronics

These are the 3 types of batteries I tried. I believe they are all alkaline batteries. 

17029199884423329863075501402403.jpg

• Like 2

Update.

Fisher just contacted me. They will be replacing 2 battery contacts for $125.  It could have been worse. The gb2 is in excellent condition otherwise, so it's worth saving for that price. Just wish it was garrett customer service instead lol

• Oh my! 1

Received the gb2 back yesterday.  Seems to work fine now. It will be a great addition to my tiny lead prospecting adventures! MERRY CHRISTMAS  everyone. I hope you all get to enjoy peace and good company over this holiday.

• Like 4

Looks like Steve was very close to right with the fault and it could have likely been resolved at that point as the clues were there, $125 for replacing battery contacts seems near criminal! 

They probably just needed some electronic cleaner on them in the end and not even replaced.

I'm glad you've got it back and its working again though, it is an asset to the detector collection for sure.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Looks like Steve was very close to right with the fault and it could have likely been resolved at that point as the clues were there, $125 for replacing battery contacts seems near criminal! 

They probably just needed some electronic cleaner on them in the end and not even replaced.

I'm glad you've got it back and its working again though, it is an asset to the detector collection for sure.

Yes, Steve was pretty much on the money as far as the issue with it. I'm starting to think he's got 1000 hrs behind every gold detector out there. I did pull out the board to look for anything obvious before I contacted fisher. It looked like brand new in there. You are probably right. Some contact cleaner and $125 is what they needed lol. Just glad it was worth saving.  

• Like 2