First Buttons And Coin And A Few Of The More( Notable Pieces Of Old Iron Of The New Year.(photo Heavy)

13 hours ago, HardPack said:

Doc,

Any progress on the sea hag button?

Howdy HP no but I know that I have seen fish or eel with the monkey looking face and big eyeballs that's under that Helmet Divers arm somewhere before? Millions of different picture buttons were made but I feel that this one has something special about it.There were a lot of interesting cats that frequented the site where I dug it.Including Russians from fort ross and other traders and Colonial Stevensons crew from the New York Legion.Thanks for your interest and keen eye.

Doc

56 minutes ago, Doc Bach said:

There were a lot of interesting cats that frequented the site where I dug it.Including Russians from fort ross and other traders

If I recall correctly John Bidwell (1841 Bartleson-Bidwell Party) was employed by Sutter at Fort Ross & Bodega Bay in Jan. 1842. Sutter purchased Fort Ross from the Russian American Company in 1841. John Bidwell relieved Robert Ridley then continued the work of dismantling the Fort Ross outpost then transferring the assets to New Helvetia. 

1 hour ago, Doc Bach said:

know that I have seen fish or eel with the monkey looking face and big eyeballs that's under that Helmet Divers arm somewhere before

I have seen that Diving Helmet monkey face too. Try the US Navy Underwater Demolition Team (UDT) and Seal Team patches… 20,000 Leagues under the Sea?

• Thanks 1

DocBach 

That was really all there 🥸? I thought he was making a lot extra up for fun.🙄

HardPack's description was so detailed and I was having a hard time seeing much at all in the first photo. The blow up I could make out the guy with the gun much  better and it didn't look like he was on a couch anymore , more like a canoe .      I did go back and  looked again after I hit the laughing face like button  and did see  more  following the description.. I was missing so much of the detail I was reading .  (It sounded like a dreamscape . They sure did put a lot more work into buttons long ago.) Then next came the post with the history references  and  even more details !   

Well , I kept thinking about it and came back to the thread to look again 🧐 today.

It seems like Mr HardPack has spent many moons looking at decorative  buttons  and has developed skills far far beyond my own . Probably many in hopefully better condition ? 

So far I've only found a few buttons , nothing even close to that level of fancy. 

Now I'll have to go back again and look for the Sea Hag and her Goons  !  Just in case. Ya can never be too careful with that bunch.. 😏  Next time I'll go with the  "Oh My" button  , I promise !    Sorry''bout that Chief ! Missed it by THAT much !

So much to learn here , Doubt I'll live that long but I never thought I'd be around at this age so maybe I will.,,,,,,,,and maybe all those people were right and I AM an alien ???😳

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rvpopeye said:

DocBach 

That was really all there 🥸? I thought he was making a lot extra up for fun.🙄

HardPack's description was so detailed and I was having a hard time seeing much at all in the first photo. The blow up I could make out the guy with the gun much  better and it didn't look like he was on a couch anymore , more like a canoe . I did go back and  looked again after I hit the laughing face like button  and did see  more  following the description.. I was missing so much of the detail I was reading .  (It sounded like a dreamscape . They sure did put a lot more work into buttons long ago.) Then next came the post with the history references  and  even more details !   

Well , I kept thinking about it and came back to the thread to look again 🧐 today.

It seems like Mr HardPack has spent many moons looking at decorative  buttons  and has developed skills far far beyond my own . Probably many in hopefully better condition ? 

So far I've only found a few buttons , nothing even close to that level of fancy. 

Now I'll have to go back again and look for the Sea Hag and her Goons  !  Just in case. Ya can never be too careful with that bunch.. 😏  Next time I'll go with the  "Oh My" button  , I promise !    Sorry''bout that Chief ! Missed it by THAT much !

So much to learn here , Doubt I'll live that long but I never thought I'd be around at this age so maybe I will.,,,,,,,,and maybe all those people were right and I AM an alien ???😳

You're a funny guy Popeye! Seriously my first impression was that HP was breaking my nads that's why I as well hit the Har Har button.Then I thought to myself take a better look see.Ironically when I first pulled the button I was thinking military because of the style and i thought that I could see the vague outline of an eagle.Then I couldn't stand the suspense and took it to the crick and gave it a quick rinse and I also saw a canoe which got me worked up.Yes it's true that Mr Hardpack has an eye for detail but he most likely has better magnification equipment.Or maybe like he asserted it's the snow cones with the shroom topping? I know from a lot of experience from my younger days that said garnish and similar substances certainly made an impression on me.

• Oh my! 1

Thx Doc . This isn't being funny , it's just the way I yam.

But if you want , I have an impressive amount of pirate jokes to share.

That was a very interesting button and sometimes condition forces us to think creatively.  HatdPack's  button eagle eye   Is amazing🤯 even if it was from looking at it magnified. Maybe he should get a commission on any digital microscope sold as a result ? 

Oh , and I lived through the 60s and all the way through the 80s in the music biz . I never heard of snowcones with mushroom topping ? Sounds hard core...

Do you think we need to attempt an intervention ? 🥸

On 1/12/2024 at 11:02 AM, rvpopeye said:

Mr HardPack

No need for the mister. My parents were married… to each other.

On 1/13/2024 at 9:03 AM, rvpopeye said:

Oh , and I lived through the 60s and all the way through the 80s in the music biz . I never heard of snowcones with mushroom topping ? Sounds hard core...

The closest I got to Woodstock was a couple of fellow marines out of upstate New York. A redheaded Irish from Callicoon, NY, made a curvy figure with both hands while asking his fellow jerk-offs “ If you could have anything back in the world.. what would it be?”  Being the latest arrival from home, knowing I had a better chance, my reply was “ ice cream”.  The next morning as we moved out “Red” came up from behind choking his arm around my neck singing “ Ice Cream, Ice Cream, everybody loves ice cream”, the rest of the squad joined in on the chorus. “Ice Cream” would become my call sign. Into the future my real world “hippie wife” did attended the Woodstock concert of the west at Altamount Pass. She rode up with some biker dude from Oakland. 

On 1/13/2024 at 9:03 AM, rvpopeye said:

Do you think we need to attempt an intervention ?

Tequila is not addictive only transformative. HardPack.. that’s a label from an old acquaintance of my wife. 

On 1/12/2024 at 12:50 PM, Doc Bach said:

my first impression was that HP was breaking my nads

I eventually quit drinking in order stand up and walk… which allowed me to start metal detecting. I have found metal detectors are far more addictive but thankfully no hangovers. Doc, keep us posted on that button. 

“You have a real piece of maritime history there”.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, HardPack said:

No need for the mister. My parents were married… to each other.

The closest I got to Woodstock was a couple of fellow marines out of upstate New York. A redheaded Irish from Callicoon, NY, made a curvy figure with both hands while asking his fellow jerk-offs “ If you could have anything back in the world.. what would it be?”  Being the latest arrival from home, knowing I had a better chance, my reply was “ ice cream”.  The next morning as we moved out “Red” came up from behind choking his arm around my neck singing “ Ice Cream, Ice Cream, everybody loves ice cream”, the rest of the squad joined in on the chorus. “Ice Cream” would become my call sign. Into the future my real world “hippie wife” did attended the Woodstock concert of the west at Altamount Pass. She rode up with some biker dude from Oakland. 

Tequila is not addictive only transformative. HardPack.. that’s a label from an old acquaintance of my wife. 

I eventually quit drinking in order stand up and walk… which allowed me to start metal detecting. I have found metal detectors are far more addictive but thankfully no hangovers. Doc, keep us posted on that button. 

“You have a real piece of maritime history there”.

I hear ya HardPack.Been there and done most of that.The free Rolling-stones concert was a freaking horror show! I was actually in the process of going but when the two older guys that I would be travelling down to the city with stopped by the house to pick me up my father who was a cop in the small town that I grew up in wouldn't let me get into the car with them.Anyway back to the button you seem to like it and be fascinated with it as much as I am but it's so far a mystery.

Hey Doc,

This has all been quite amusing. 🤣

Here in the East we call them "Sportsmen's Buttons", and get on with it 😀

49 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Here in the East we call them "Sportsmen's Buttons

So you’re saying there’s a Chesapeake Bay retriever on that button. Under the right conditions, others may believe it to be Grateful Dead concert token. Either way I’d enjoy seeing photos posted of Sportmen’s buttons. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Doc Bach said:

fascinated with it as much as I am but it's so far a mystery

It is the history connected to the button that interests me, far more than the button itself. About the time Sutter purchased Fort Ross the Russians were experiencing a food shortage in their Alaskan settlements plus they had about depleted the sea otter population along the California coast. The Spanish moved north of the SF bay to block the Russians from expanding their operation south and refuse to trade. The British were sailing up the coast to the Hudson Bay Company at Fort Vancouver. Whaling stations were eventually established from Monterey to Fields Landing. So for any merchant vessel sailing up the coastline there were ample opportunities for trade, a need for provisions and fresh water with a limited number of ports north of Point Conception. Unless there is a collector among us, a clue to the story behind that button may well remain a mystery.  Good find. 

• Like 2