First Buttons And Coin And A Few Of The More( Notable Pieces Of Old Iron Of The New Year.(photo Heavy)

12 hours ago, HardPack said:

An 1800’s mariners/seafarers brass picture button? Might be worth some further research. Amazing!

Does it appear the person in the rear has an oar with a second person seated forward? The oarsman seems to be enjoying their undersea voyage. The fish a grouper, another sea lion or the oarsman’s knee? Is the figure up forward a female reaching towards another sea lion swimming past the bow? Or is she rescuing a drowning sailor entangled in kelp?

Poseidon/Neptune cruising through a kelp bed? Any sign of a trident?

Leucothea & Palaemon, according to The Age of Fable by Thomas Bulfinch, both held power to save from shipwreck and were invoked by sailors; jurisdiction of the ports & shores. 

Leucothea (Ino in the Odyssey) a Greek sea goddess who saved Odysseus from drowning when his raft was shattered. Her murdered son Melicertes became the Greek sea god Palaemon (Portunus to the Romans).

I appreciate your perspective and insight HardPack.I instinctively hit the har-har button on your first post because I thought that you were dry shaving me? But I quickly realized that maybe I should have another look.It may seem silly to be so intrigued by a button but hey I freaking love buttons! I'm hoping that someone can figure out if it has any real significance? Hey you have rvpopeye laughing as well but he is probably looking for Sea Hag in the pictures 😂

1 hour ago, Doc Bach said:

Hey you have rvpopeye laughing as well but he is probably looking for Sea Hag in the pictures 😂

Yeah, I got to stop sprinkling those wild mushrooms on my morning snow cone. Pretty rugged coastline north of Point Conception. No telling how many New England whalers navigated up the coastline stopping where able to resupply. I think you may have proof they pulled ashore. I got to get back to the harvest before the snow closes off access to the crawl space. Later

21 hours ago, JCR said:

The buttons & coin are certainly nice but the relics are super. I am always surprised at how kind your dirt is. The  Tee handled tool is a gimlet. It was used to start screw holes in wood.. The complete chain bit is really great. The bullet mould should clean up nice. I bet you will find it marked. Probably Colt's. The Percussion rifle hammer & Jew's harp are great too. I think you are correct on the buggy step plate.

I think you nailed it on the gimlet JCR!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great stuff Doc,

Truly a fascinating and well preserved and presented group of finds. You make iron hunting interesting and desirable.

Even the buttons are unique, thanks for posting this!

Gotta love it when JCR weighs in 👍

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Great stuff Doc,

Truly a fascinating and well preserved and presented group of finds. You make iron hunting interesting and desirable.

Even the buttons are unique, thanks for posting this!

Gotta love it when JCR weighs in 👍

Thanks Bob! And I always appreciate your comments.Yes I got a passion for digging iron when I was just a kid. Truthfully I have been extremely fortunate with big iron leading to some amazing non metalic objects.Antique bottles on a number of occasions and Native American Artifacts both shell and stone. As well as Russian and Hudson Bay and other European Trade Beads on several other occasions and the list goes on.Yes it's true what you say about JCR. Sometimes I wait in anticipation and depend on him to weigh in. The cat is very well versed on relics.

• Like 1

You guys are too much.  I have learned so much about so many things from the members here. That’s what this forum is all about. Shared knowledge, experience and good fellowship. Thank you Steve H for making it possible.

• Like 3

Nice finds.

• Thanks 1

nice recoveries, like the old mouth harp

• Thanks 1