Since M8 Is Too Precious To Left Behind...

Are there any case or cover for the coil? I'm afraid that I will damage the wire that sticking out from the coil due to pressure, squeezed etc.. For now my backpack setup is like this..

coil1.thumb.jpg.0f228275f93f9fdbd4c2273f1028d2ba.jpg

coil3.thumb.jpg.6751d0ba7dcff32a45d9bdc888b89851.jpg

Put a foam to cover the cable.. but I still think its not fully covered/not tough/durable enough (actually i don't know the right words lol)

• The title was changed to Since M8 Is Too Precious To Left Behind...

I think what you did is a great ideal 🙂

I ruined a small coil a few years ago and wish I'd done what you did.

I just received both the M15 and M8 coils in the mail two days ago so I'm going to use your idea in a few weeks on my vacation to Waikiki beach. Thanks.

Not only did I order an M8 coil, but my wife bought me one too. Took me forever to get one coil and now I have two of the M8's.

I guess I should put the extra M8 coil in the classifieds.

John

M8 Coil Pic.jpg

Nice solution!

Title says 'M8'.  Photos are for M11.  But if you are asking about a similar protection system for the M8, I agree with others that your pictured solution appears to be quite stout, and sufficiently so, IMO.  If you wanted to go a bit further, cover the foam block with a similiarly/appropriately sized box.  Cardboard would be an easy method.  Wood or (if you really want to go the extra mile) aluminum would likely protect even against airline baggage-handling gorillas.

I can see it won't be long until people lose their coil rubbers for all their accessory Manticore coils, that's the big problem with the design.  

6 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Title says 'M8'.  Photos are for M11.

Sorry about that..m8 is on the detector now 😁.. I bring both to every hunt.. usually the m8 is on the bag.. 

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

I can see it won't be long until people lose their coil rubbers for all their accessory Manticore coils, that's the big problem with the design.  

need extra lower rod to counter that problem

8 hours ago, phrunt said:

Yep.....I took them (and nylon bolt) off the spare coil and into a zip-lock plastic bag. I can only imagine what Minelab would charge for a nylon bolt and washers 🤑

2 hours ago, Tony said:

Yep.....I took them (and nylon bolt) off the spare coil and into a zip-lock plastic bag. I can only imagine what Minelab would charge for a nylon bolt and washers 🤑

They hope we lose lots of them, a good money maker for them 🙂

To them the design was a win win, no more broken ears and customers buying new washers all the time to replace lost ones that have fallen out of the coils🙂

18 hours ago, phrunt said:

They hope we lose lots of them, a good money maker for them 🙂

yeah... I put it away too (the bolt and washer) in my cabinet.. now I cant find it.. I am pissed at myself

After thinking about your modification to protect your coil wires, I came up with a solution.

I walked around my shop looking for something I already had. I found an old piece of black foam that is used to protect pipes from freezing. I made the foam long enough to keep the the wire near the coil stiff.

I also inserted the electrical connector that attaches to the main control of the metal detector inside the hole too.

I'm going on vacation in a couple of weeks so I will be able to test it out.

I appreciate your post...

John

Hawaii coil prep.jpg