Advice For Newbie Please

I've got a used XP ORX off eBay and have been trying it in the garden.

I buried a British two pence coin about 6 inches deep, but the ORX can't detect it. I've tried the four standard programmes and even fiddled with the settings a bit.

A two pence coin is about the size of US quarter and is made of copper plated steel.

Should the ORX be able to detect that?

Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

21 minutes ago, Patricko said:

Should the ORX be able to detect that?

I don't have any ORX experience (or with the XP line in general), but I'd think any modern detector should be able to hit a coin that size at well over 6 inches.

Others with more experience with the ORX can probably chime in here with more specific advice for you. Stay patient!

ETA: Have you tried air testing (i.e., put the detector on a bench or table and wave a target close to the bottom of the coil) some coins to see how they register?

24 minutes ago, glacialgold said:

I don't have any ORX experience (or with the XP line in general), but I'd think any modern detector should be able to hit a coin that size at well over 6 inches.

Others with more experience with the ORX can probably chime in here with more specific advice for you. Stay patient!

ETA: Have you tried air testing (i.e., put the detector on a bench or table and wave a target close to the bottom of the coil) some coins to see how they register?

Air testing seems fine. It detects even very small coins like that. I've also detected a few bits a metal scrap from the ground.

Perhaps either me or the machine was just having a bad day today.

Crank the sensitivity as far up as your conditions will allow (EMI) And turn the recovery speed down.I have never had my hands on an ORX but have used the deus 1 for about 5 years and now still learning the D2.I cannot imagine the goldfield mode not hitting it hard assuming that the ORX surely has one.

Freshly buried targets can be more difficult to pick up. Being brand new at using a detector is also a challenge  Stay encouraged & put in some thoughtful time and a wonderful pass time will open up for you.

Welcome from East Texas.